Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Layers

Are you doing different flavors for each layer?  If so, what flavors are you doing?

We haven't decided yet...we were actually learning towards not doing different layers since both of our biggest wedding pet peeves (that we've experienced) is that there are different flavors of wedding cake but you never get to try them all!  People might disagree with us but we'd prefer to just not like a wedding cake versus knowing there's a flavor floating out there that we do like but we can't try it lol.

Re: Cake Layers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having cakes for each table, so we only have two layers - chocolate and vanilla.  Nothing too exciting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having a 3 tiered cake with a different flavor on each tier. One layer will be chocolate cake with chocolate, peanut butter chip filling, another will be white cake with strawberry filling and the third is lemon cake with raspberry filling. We are actually going to be ordering a larger cake so that if guests want another slice in a different flavor they can help themselves.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a 3 tiered cake with two small side cakes and we have 4 different flavors. However, we are also doing an ice cream cake so the different layers / flavors only seemed right. lol.
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had four tiers - two were simple white with buttercream filling and two were simple white with alternating layers of chocolate buttercream and mocha buttercream fillings.  It gave just enough "something" to the traditional white, but didn't seem like "too much," if you know what I mean.  I'm all for variety, but I also think wedding cakes should have a nice flow to them, and the flavours should be complimentary.  Sometimes I hear of cakes with four different flavours that seem horrible together. (I know they aren't served together, but I just like consistency!)

We had our cake served with the venue's chocolate and vanilla tartufo and it was a huge hit with the guests - and there were absolutely no complaints about not enough variety.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours will be 4 or 5 layers and it will all be the same.
    We spoke to our coordinator about it, and the way that it will be sliced and served, half the table could get one kind, half could get the other. People would not be able to choose. We decided to go with something that was more universal, instead of two (or 5) distinct flavor options.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did two tiers (and two flavours - passionfruit & chocolate mac nut) and gave guests the option of whichever flavour they wanted. We also order... like 40% extra so we could do this (and eat the leftovers for breakfast for the rest of the week).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are using the baker that was included in our wedding package at the venue
    included was one filling, so one filling is all we are doing.

we are having white cake (i dont like chocolate) with raspberry filling. mmm
    only 2 tier since we only have 65 guests, and the vegans/gluten free are getting a sperate cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had 3 tiers - top layer was white cake with lemon filling, middle layer was choc cake with choc filling, and bottom layer was white cake with white filling.

We are going to a wedding this weekend, and they will be serving cupcakes.  The bride has already told me all about the 6 or 7 different cupcake flavors they will be serving.  I was like...but how am I going to try each one?  They all sounded extremely delicious, so I get where you are coming from about wanting to try separate flavors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok maybe this was a bad thread to start in the middle of work...it's getting me hungry for cake!  They all sound delicious :-)

I've been to 2 weddings where the "problem" of multiple flavors became more clear to me but in different ways.  Neither had the option of trying more than one slice.

1st wedding:  They had the 3 cake flavors listed on the menu but you only got to try one.  Don't tease me like that!  :-)

2nd wedding:  They didn't say what the flavors were but our table had a definite mixture of flavors going on in what we were served.  Luckily, we were all friends so we passed and shared but it wasn't until later while dancing that my FI discovered that there had been a banana layer (to say he loves banana flavored anything is a huge understatement) floating around that he didn't get to try.  I didn't think someone could be so sad over wedding cake....lol.

I guess as the bride and groom we can make sure we get to try all but those experiences were with us as guests so we don't want our guests to feel the same!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly try a lot of different flavors and combos.

We're doing a three tier. The top layer and the bottom layer have a lemony filling and the middle is a hazelnut. its a red velvet cake :)

When we were trying all the flavors we wouldn't have thought of that particular combo for fillings and cake flavor but when you taste them together its amazing!

It also really depends on the baker. There are millions of flavors of chocolate and different degrees of flavor. You might like baker 1s chocolate cake or his version of chocolate filling and absolutely hate baker 2s.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing 4 tiers, and they're all pretty different from each other.  From the top down, we're having:

-white cake with key lime and lemon custards studded with raspberries
    -carrot cake with cream cheese filling
    -coconut cake with dark chocolate ganache and dark chocolate mousse
    -german chocolate cake with traditional german chocolate filling and Bailey's mousse (may switch to hazelnut mousse)

To help alleviate the problem of people not getting to taste the kind they want, we're having the staff lay all the plates out on a table so people can help themselves.  It's also cheaper for us to do it this way because it costs $1.50/person to have the staff bring it out to the individual tables in addition to the $1/person cutting fee.  I'm really not concerned about anyone who doesn't get to try that 4th flavor after they've already had 3.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a 4-tier cake with 2 different flavors. Flavor 1 is double chocolate chip with opera creme filling. Flavor 2 is butter cake with tangerine filling.
  • Options
    kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing 1 layer burnt sugar, 1 layer chocolate with chocolate-fudge mousse & 1 layer white with strawberries.  Extra will be cut of each flavor & put on the "cookie table" after it's served.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a 4 tier (3 were served) and each one was a different flavor.  One tier was chocolate since we didn't have a groom's cake and each guest got one white (either tres leches or white with raspberry filing) and one chocolate.
  • Options
    JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing three tiers and a grooms cake.  Red Velvet with cream cheese filling (my choice), chocolate with mocha filling (daughter's choice, she's 9) and almond with cherry and whip cream filling for the wedding cake (FI and I chose).  He chose the almond and cherry without the whip cream for his grooms cake.  We learned that red velvet is in the chocolate family so between the top and middle layers, we will have about half the servings in a chocolate family and then the bottom layer and grooms cake equal the other half of servings in a vanilla family. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yea - were also getting a plain, no filling, sheet cake from Sam's Club to stash in the back for those that don't want all the "fancy" cake.  My grandparents seem to prefer plain jane so this will appeal to those people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup!  1st tier: Pumpkin Spice w/cream cheese filling.  2nd Tier: Devil's Food Cake w/PB mousse filling.  3rd Tier: Strawberry cake w/chocolate ganache filling

Then we're having a plain jane white sheet cake also and miniature pies in all kinds of flavors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards