Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

One Entree.. Two Entree..

My Fiance have our first appointment with our first catering company. This one is a little more expensive than the one we will meet with tomorrow. All we have purchased so far for our wedding is our venue.

My question is, how will we know if we can afford one entree or two. We know that we are supposed to pick a few things to splurge on for the wedding and food is one of the things that we want to be really good. That is something that we want to give to our guests. I guess my question is, how do you kow how much you can afford? I know there are budget things on here (I'm kind of new so I haven't checked out much on here). We aren't going to be signing anything today so we have time to figure out budget plans (at least a rough guess).

So, how would you go about figuring the cost and if it fit into your budget? Like I said this is the first choice we are making. We will be able to apply skills from budgeting this to our other purchases.

I appreciate your advice! Thank you!

Re: One Entree.. Two Entree..

• edited December 2011
    I guess another good question... you being the guest... would you care if there was only one entree vs two?
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the budgeting tool on theknot.com.  Put in your budget, number of guests, and it'll spit out a per person estimate for food based on the "traditional" ratio of money spent.  You can adjust the values to account for regional variability and your priorities (e.g. if you are a foodie, you might want to divert part of the floral budget to food and drink).

As a guest, I don't mind not being offered a choice on entree, but I will eat almost anything.  If you know that you have a lot of guests with food restrictions or preferences, it'll be easier to offer a couple entrees.
  • Heather8505Heather8505 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Before you sign a contract with them, get some quotes from photographers and other big ticket items...then you will know how much $$ you can devote to food.  I had an expensive and not so expensive caterer picked out with quotes for different menus they each had then decided which one after I booked the other items.  I guess if food is your priority item, just make sure you can at least afford the other items you will need before you book.  Also, when you book the caterer you are reserving the date, not the exact menu.  If you know you can afford their one entree choice, then book them and decide exactly what menu after the other things are booked...
    me and my two men image
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't mind one entree either but I am also not a picky eater.  I think if you have something else that is not an entree but is pretty filling like a pasta it would be ok.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards