Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Does wine have to be chilled?

Hello all, I wanted to know if wine should always be chilled? The reason Im asking is because I am having nice wine labels made for my wine bottles and wanted to place about 3 bottles of wine per table for people to drink. However, if I do this, the wine will not be chilled, would this be ok?

Re: Does wine have to be chilled?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Basically, white wine is served chilled and red wine is served room temperature.  I would try to keep the white wine cold--you can get chiller buckets or have them in the fridge right until they're served.  One bottle of wine probably won't last long for a table of 8-10 people, so I don't think you need to worry about keeping them cold once  people start taking from them. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, good idea, guess I can keep the white wine in the freezer or fridge during cocktail hour and then place on the tables once the reception starts. Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't keep the wine in the freezer. The alcohol content is not that high. Depending on the time in there I am guessing the water could freeze, expand, and break the bottles.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well... it depends on the wine, but red is usually served between 50 and 60 degrees, which is not really room temp in the US. White is served around 40-45 degrees, which is chilled, but not refridgerator cold, if that makes sense.

You can use wine chillers or a large beverage server filled with ice and water if the labels are waterproof.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    meep2meep2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_wine-chilled?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:6bfa9a85-fd88-43da-ba09-113ff731d514Post:1b468c62-f2e8-490b-be9c-7807f8d5bb48">Re: Does wine have to be chilled?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well... it depends on the wine, but red is usually served between 50 and 60 degrees, which is not really room temp in the US. White is served around 40-45 degrees, which is chilled, but not refridgerator cold, if that makes sense. You can use wine chillers or a large beverage server filled with ice and water if the labels are waterproof.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

This.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    white  is chiiled and reds are typically served at room temp or slightly cooler.  Put your whites in a cute wine bucket and make the labels etc to personalize them go on there so the water doesnt make the coloring on the labels run onto peoples hands when they pick up the bottles.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards