Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Hors d'oeuvres/Cocktail Reception?

I don't know how to write on my website that we're having hor d'oeurve like food instead of a dinner because the word hor 'doeurve means appetizer but there's no dinner following. I don't want to call it a cocktail hour either because there will be no alcohol. So under the menu should I still write hor 'doeurves or finger foods? Any ideas?

Re: Hors d'oeuvres/Cocktail Reception?

• tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your wedding casual, call them finger foods.  If it is more formal, call them Hors d'ourves.  Look into 'mock' tails, they are virgin versions of mixed drinks.  HTH
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maybe you can say something like reception with refreshments.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having the same problem.  I like the refreshments idea- I'm thinking about putting "Reception with refreshments will immediately follow in the fellowship hall"
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I think refreshments can be a little general, and I wouldn't know what to expect, as a guest. (Cake and punch? Apps? etc.) I would probably be a little more specific- light appetizers*, heavy appetizers*, etc. which might give your guests a little more direction on if they should eat before hand. HTH!

*replaceable with hors d'ourves, finger foods, based on the formality of the wedding :)
  • edited December 2011
    If you do go the hors d'oeuvres route, make sure you spell it correctly!
  • tesskerrtesskerr member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of virgin cocktails! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards