Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Help H'ordeuvres or Itialian dinner

I need some advise on food for my wedding. We cannot decide on heavy h'ordervres or a pasta dinner buffet style, with salad and bread sticks. We have alot of our friends that drink and I mean drink. We are worried that people will get to drunk with out enough food in there bellys. So we are not to sure what to do. We went to a wedding that had light h'ordeuvres such as meatballs fruit veggies, and people were trashed. I dont want this to happen at our wedding!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Help H'ordeuvres or Itialian dinner

• edited December 2011

I know I always prefer a meal when I go to weddings. If it's possible I would do some appetizers and pasta dinner.

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also think that from seeing several posts here, the pasta buffet could actually be cheaper on your budget, plus pasta is typically really filling!
  • edited December 2011
    What time is your reception at? If it is at a non-meal time, people will know to eat before they come.
  • edited December 2011
    I would do the Italian dinner, just make sure to have a few options, and a salad :-)
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    first of all, it's spelled hors d'oeuvres

I think that a pasta dinner is a great option, with salad and breadsticks, like pp's have said.
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pasta buffet sounds great!
  • edited December 2011
    It's also spelled Italian. Spell check is your friend!

I ditto the buffet... but if you're doing a cocktail hour in between the ceremony and the reception, then you'll need food then too. That's when the potential for super drunkeness kicks in.
  • edited December 2011
    Pasta is a great idea and if you have a "specified meal time" sort of blocked off I think people are more likely to eat. At my friend's wedding I was the MOH and didn't really find time to eat anything because the after ceremony pictures took about 45 minutes and after the wedding party and individuals were done, I was basically running around passing along messages between the bride&groom getting their post wedding pictures, the DJ, the parents, etc...but if you have a wedding coordinator he/she'd be doing that. Basically, my point is to make sure everyone eats before they really start drinking.

Would it be at all possible for the bartender to not serve certain drinks until after the meal or a certain time? You can't force anyone to eat but if the drinking can somehow be monitored before people eat that might help some. Just a thought.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Go with the pasta buffet.  It will  leave the guests full for a while.  Instead of doing heavy appetizers, do light appetizers before the meal, and light ones after the meal if you think that people will still want something to snack on later.
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Italian is cheap and will make them fuller so they won't get as drunk as quickly!
  • edited December 2011
    Nice to know
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards