Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

TK "top 7 wedding cake trends"?

Did anyone else look through the slide show of cake "trends"? Perhaps a trend meand different things to different people but IMO they didn't look all that new or trendy. Also, the first "trend" was buttercream frosting. How is that a trend .

To me, cupcakes are a trend, or candy bars...

Thoughts? Am I just that bored on a Friday that even cake debates interest me? ;)
Photobucket

Re: TK "top 7 wedding cake trends"?

• edited December 2011
    Can you post a link to the slide show? 

I think cupcakes and candy bars are trendy, but maybe on their way out of style.  I hope the next big thing is cheesecake :)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/49593/view.aspx?type=1&id=49593&

I think if you want cheesecake to be the next trend, you should MAKE it the next trend!  Cool

I was underwhelmed by their selections more than anything else.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I am underwhelmed as well.  I belive they just took their stock photos and came up with some junk to say. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just clicked that link as well prior to this post and was not very amused either.  I actually started thinking to myself 'hmm I should comment on how ordinary these pictures were' lol.  

Just throwin' it out there, anybody else like buttercream outside with limited to no fondant?  Personally, I want my cake to look eatable, not untouchable.  But I'm more of a food person than a looks person.

What's everyone else's idea about this?

Also, cheesecake is a GREAT idea...however, unless you've got a crazy budget or a super small guest list, the price for that wedding cheesecake would prob be outrageous!  Still, I think if you really want it you should go for it, I totally thought about it as well; it's one of my favorite desserts!
  • edited December 2011
    I thought the same thing about the blog!  Very underwhelmed by it.  I actually feel that way about a number of "articles" that have been posted on here in the last couple of months.  I'm ready to see something NEW!!

I also agree with Aquarian on having a cake that looks edible (but still pretty) and that tastes even better than it looks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tk-top-7-wedding-cake-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:870d16c3-f242-44bd-9e6d-2e07889c1f64Post:3bf4764c-38d1-4cf4-9842-8951a8b19e3a">Re: TK "top 7 wedding cake trends"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am underwhelmed as well.  I <strong>belive they just took their stock photos and came up with some junk to say. 
    </strong>Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

TK?  I'm shocked.  Shocked I say.  I'm also shocked that the Pope is Catholic.

And Aquarian - I'm a hard core fondant hater.  I don't see the point in paying for food that is so disgusting it's not edible.   Give me a slab of cake loaded down with buttercream please.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • jenajjthrjenajjthr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm helping to contribute to the cheesecake as the next trend in wedding cakes.  I'm paying about double what I would for a normal cake.  But I'm cutting costs elsewhere, specifically on the flowers.  

As for the trends, I got through the first two and stopped.  I think some writer was having a lazy work day.
  • edited December 2011
    I would be all about cake with buttercream frosting.  I mean, its made of butter and sugar... What's not to love??

FI and I are thinking of nixing the cake and doing whoopie pies for all.  Thoughts?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Buttercream is a "trend" I guess in the sense that it's bucking the overwhelming number of cakes that are coated in fondant lately.  I know buttercream is older than fondant, but fondant seemed to be the undisputed king of the cake-icing world for the last couple years. I am glad to see buttercream return. 

I've heard that pie is making a huge splash lately. 

And I tried like hell to do a "cheese" cake (with actual wheels of cheese) for my wedding but everyone flipped out so I didn't.  Still wish I had though. They do it in England sometimes!
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, I'm so trendy-- I'm have a buttercream cake without fondant! ;)

I thought the slideshow was pretty lame. I absolutely love the idea of doing something different-- pies, cheesecake. It's definitely fun and different.

We're sticking with cake simply because I just love cake. I wanted a pie bar but can't deny my cake urge, haha. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    NOLAbridealmost - a CHEESE course for your cake?  That is an awesome idea!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

Our cake has buttercream frosting AND cheese-cake filling....mmm! 

• edited December 2011
    We were going to do pie, but both of our families had a cow so we caved and got cake, but it was delicious. I still wish we had done pie.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    Oh, and they definitely just re-used their stock photos.  the "cake trios" cake was a trend for "splash of color" for their trends when I first got engaged.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    I've been seeing all these "trends" used on cake shows for years now. Boooring.

I can't believe buttercream was even considered a trend. Really? Some famous cake designers (Sylvia Weinstock, for example) won't even use fondant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards