Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Ceremonial Wedding Cakes

The restaurant we are having our reception at serves dessert as part of our dinner package so we are only getting a small two tier cake for ceremonial purposes (cutting, pictures, etc.).  My question is: what do I do with the actual cake?  It will serve almost 40, but it is not enough to offer a slice to every guest.  Do I just take it home or what is the proper way to do this? Thanks for your help!

Re: Ceremonial Wedding Cakes

• edited December 2011
    I would get a small sheet cake in order to serve everyone.  That is, if your guest list is at about a 100.  If your guest list is 50, then you may be safe since not everyone eats cake.
    It's better to have some left over than not enough to feed everyone that wants a piece!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 8/9/11 EDD 4/11/12 M/C 8/20/11
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 6/18/13
    PgAL and PAL always welcome and appreciated!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You will want to keep the top tier and freeze it for your first anniversary.

The other tier may be cut and served to your bridal party and family tables,
     ...or cut and put into favor boxes and given to the bridal party, family and/or single ladies and men,
     ...or just as an addition to the dessert served by the venue.

OR
    if you are having any sort of get-together the following day it may be boxed and served for that event. 

I've even seen it (frozen, then) served several weeks later at an 'Open House' type gathering at the couples home when they open their gifts.
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is the first time I'm going to have to say this, but I think the above mentioned idea of only serving it to the attendant table would be terrible.  Eek! I'm so sorry to say it, but if I were a guest at a wedding and the cake was only served to the attendant table, I would feel left out.  Wedding cake is my favorite part of weddings, and I would rather have cake than a dessert from the restaurant. 

I also wouldn't freeze the cake for a year.  Our bakery includes an anniversary cake that they will make for us the next year.  Things really shouldn't be left in the freezer for more than 3 months, otherwise they don't taste the same.

I do agree that the cake should be served up and offered as a dessert option.

It is always a great idea to have a box of cake to take with you on your way to the honeymoon.  You probably won't get a chance to eat much, so it can be a nice treat.
    Photobucket
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you can't serve it to everyone, I wouldn't have it at all.  It would be really weird as a guest to see you guys cut into and eat cake, but not be able to have any myself.

You can still do the ceremonial cutting and first bite with whatever dessert your venue is serving.  We had cheesecake and still did the cutting and first bite thing.  Pics in married bio.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ericksbericksb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Instead of the dessert, our caterer let us pick an additional side to have as part of our meal. You could give cake to everyone (agree with PP that it would be rude to only give it to some) and get something extra for your meal out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards