Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Flavor.

Okay, I am not really a big cake person so I was wondering what flavor you guys think is the best. I DO NOT like chocolate but my groom's groomscake will be chocolate. What flavor should the wedding cake be???
Soul meets soul on lover's lips Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake Flavor.

• edited December 2011
    How many tiers will you have?

I think a layer of white cake with white frosting or something similar to that would be good.  Then after that, there are so many options, white cake with strawberry/cherry/lemon/orage, etc filling.  You can do carrot cake with cream cheese icing...there are lots of choices.

I love cake, and I'll eat about any kind.
  • JensenAdioJensenAdio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We willbe having 3 cut tiers and one anniversary tier. I am just not big on cake. !!
  • edited December 2011
    I voted red velvet because it and carrot are my favorites!

However, if you are having 3 tiers you could always do a layer or two vanilla-it would probably be most pleasing to the most people, and then do a 'fun flavor'

There are so many options out there we are having trouble choosing which ones to have!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I voted for vanilla/white because there are literally thousands of fillings you could put with it and they'd all be great. 

Isn't red velvet also a chocolate cake?  All the ones I've had and recipes I've read include cocoa powder and the red comes from the reaction between the cocoa and the vinegar.
  • edited December 2011
    I love red velvet, but I wouldn't get it if you're serving the groom's cake at the wedding, since it tastes pretty much like chocolate cake.  Strawberry cake isn't as universally popular as vanilla, so I chose vanilla.  As PP said, there are a lot of fillings you could choose with vanilla.  If you have other options, I might choose something like almond or coconut, a light flavor that isn't quite as basic as vanilla.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Two of our tiers were chocolate and vanilla with hazelnut mousse. The third was white cake with blackberries mixed into the batter. All layers had cream cheese frosting. That way we had a little chocolate for people who like that, and something different (fruit) for people, like me, who aren't big on chocolate.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • JensenAdioJensenAdio member
    edited December 2011
    Red Velvet is a variation of chocolate but they dont taste alike. Like I said, I am not a cake person, so I am just trying to get some help on this!!!!

• edited December 2011
    Red velvet is essentially a chocolate cake.  I think they taste pretty similar.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine are Cookies N Cream and Chocolate with Nautella filling....

But it all depends on what you feel is best. You can never go wrong with Vanilla.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My favorite is chocolate
  • edited December 2011
    Best is so subjective! I'm a huge lemon or vanilla raspberry fan, but I never say no to cake! It's definitely all about the filling for me, the actual cake part I get way less excited about.
  • JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went with an almond cake for our third tier.  It wasn't traditional vanilla but still close enough not to be specific.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    edited December 2011
    I would do 2 or 3 different flavors with your individual tiers.  Maybe 1 tier be regular white cake and another tier, strawberry and so on.  That can be pretty popular among guests also so they get a choice.
  • edited December 2011
    You can go so many different ways on this.... I am having a 3 tier red velvet cheesecake for my wedding cake! You can try a lemon with a raspberry filling or german chocolate, even carrot cake! If you don't like regular icing, maybe opt for whipped/creamcheese icing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mmady84mmady84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just made a cake for one of my clients.  It was a moist Vanilla bean cake with toasted almond buttercream and a thin layer of strawberry coulis!  It was a new flavor that I came up with since they wanted something different.  My wedding cake is going to be pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting <3
    www.cakesbymanalnyc.com
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake was white almond cake.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is a not a cake fan so we solved this problem by doing an ice cream cake form Coldstone instead. The price different wasn't huge and it was something he really wanted. Have you thought of the other options you might have if you don't like cake?
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Red velvet is my favorite!!

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards