Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Making my own cake

My fiance and I are on a very strict budget. I love baking and I figured, why not make my own cake? It would save us money on a baker and it could be a fun time.  I have everything figured out: the number of tiers, the decorations etc. However, we are having a hard time picking a flavor. My fiance doesn't like chocolate, and neither of us want anything really sweet. I was wondering if I could get suggestions on good wedding cake flavors that aren't chocolate and aren't too sweet. Anything will help. Thank you :]

Re: Making my own cake

• edited December 2011
    Tart or spice flavors...lemon, orange, pumpkin spice are good.  But, most of the really sweet are the fillings and frostings...not the cake flavors!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • chrissy0918chrissy0918 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, you're totally right :] Thank you :]
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Have you ever made a tiered cake before? Does your venue allow food from an unlicensed vendor? Do you have storage space in your refrigerator for the cake? Have you thought out logistics of delivery and set-up of this cake? I understand the wanting to save money aspect, but you really need to think this through thoroughly. That said, I made my own cake, and it was the single largest source of stress in the entire wedding process. Do you really want the last 1-2 days before your wedding to be consumed with baking a cake?
  • edited December 2011
    Carrot cake is a traditional choice for a wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    White.  It's simple, elegant, traditional, and rarely conflicts with allergies (other than eggs and gluten, of course). 

Make sure you do check on the things mentioned by Sarabellam, though.  They can all alter the plan.  Good luck!
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    I know you said you are making your own cake, but I just want to point out it could be really stressful and a disaster.  It can also get pricey because you will want to make a couple trial cakes.

I looked into making my own cake and read horror stories.  Now I am making a faux cake with styrofoam layers that I cover with royal icing or fondant (fondant assuming I can master it in the next 10 months)

We are going to order sheet cakes to be cut up in the back for guests.

Just a thought and could be wayyy less stressful than trying to make a real tiered cake the day or 2 before the big day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_making-own-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:ac54ea02-f9d7-4d87-a948-8ba4cee56cb2Post:e1f27d36-662a-4748-80b6-611b4221a996">Re: Making my own cake</a>:
    [QUOTE] Now I am making a faux cake with styrofoam layers that I cover with royal icing or fondant.  We are going to order sheet cakes to be cut up in the back for guests. [/QUOTE]

This is what I have decided to do, as well. I just ordered my cake dummies (a 6", 9", and 12") - they cost me $11. I have purchased two big boxes of Wilton fondant from craft stores when I have a 50% off coupon so I think the fondant will cost me a total of $20. (Ordinarily I would not use Wilton, but no one is going to be eating this so I don't really care what it tastes like!)  I already have the other tools I need (fondant mat, smoother, rolling pin, etc...). Those could possibly add up but if you are resourceful, you can make it work without them (or borrow from a friend!).

I made a sample on a small piece of foam a few months ago and put it in a box in the closet. I wanted to see how it stood up. It is still as perfect as the day I put it in there.  (PIB)  It was the first square cake I have done and I quickly realized that square is a PITA! So I am doing a round wedding cake. ;)

I can get the sheet cakes we need to feed all of our guests for less than $40. So for about $70 I will have a beautiful three tiered fondant cake and feed all of my guests and no one will be the wiser! ;)

Edit: OH! And the best part is that I will do it a month or two before my wedding so I'm not at all stressed about it the week or day of.

MARRIED 10.10.10 !!

October 2010 Siggy Challenge - walking down the aisle!

• edited December 2011
    To those coving the styrofoam cake dummies:
    Whichever edge will be the "top edge" take your finger and "round" the edge.  Fondant has a tendency to tear if you don't do this.
  • laurenbergherlaurenbergher member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a reason wedding cakes are expensive.  They are extremely difficult to make.  One wedding cake can take upward of 50 hours to make.  With everything else going on, you're going to want to tear your hair out!!  If you're on a budget, try a sheet cake.  They are a lot less expensive, and better tasting too.  For the cake cutting, you can get one small cake from a bakery, or set up a dummy cake with one real layer in it.  Or do cupcakes.  But do not--repeat, DO NOT--try to make your own wedding cake!
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I also agree with the people who are cautioning you against this.  The other thing is the sheer cost of ingredients, pans, boards, stands, supports, etc. alone is going to add up to more than what you would spend on a moderately high priced baker in your area.  Then there's the $30 delivery and setup that a baker will charge you where if something happens it's on THEM to come up with a cake for you.  If you drop a tier or splotch your hand in it (which happens more than you would think when you get stressed out), your'e SOL, if the baker does it, THEY are the ones having to fix it, not you who needs to be there for the big day to happen.  Even Duff from "Ace of Cakes" on an episode where he made a cake for one of the gal's in the bakery pointed out that he never gets to see his friends get married because he's always delivering the cake and the sheer realities of delivering and setting up a tiered cake. 

REALLY think about the week of your wedding, do you really want to add a 50-hour project to the mix.  Yes, you've got an idea of what you want for design, why not have it priced out with different bakeries in your area.  It's worth it to hire this one out and cut back on the budget someplace else (favors, meal choices, aisle runner, aisle bows/flowers. etc.)...  You don't want to look back on your wedding and think about how much you WORKED at it instead of ENJOYING the day and everything leading up to it...  If you're going to make something instead of purchasing it already done, make your veil, it'll cost you $12 in supplies, but most of all it can be done MONTHS in advance..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards