Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

BC vs. No BC

To continue the discussion from the B&M thread from yesterday if you wanted...

Re: BC vs. No BC

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish I could go without BC.  I hate taking it for the reasons mentioned (no sex drive).  However, I have the WORST periods without it, I'm talking 10-11 days long and awful pain.  :(
  • Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For me the benefits far outweigh the inconveniences.  I'm on the patch (apparently I'm one of the few people still on it because my doctor doesn't even prescribe it anymore), so it's a lot more convenient for me than the pill.  I like knowing exactly what day my period will start and it has decreased the overall length and other issues that I previously had.  I will probably be one of those people that gets really moody when I got off of it and I'm not really looking forward to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't take it because it drove up my blood pressure (it used to be normal) and started giving me awful migraines.  I only used to have them occasionally but I started having them for several days during the second week of the pack.  I only took them because I wasn't having a regular period so I was worried when I went off the pill.  However, that hasn't been a concern.  Sara,My OB/GYN had me go on it in the middle of my period.  I ended up having my visitor for 35 days.  I thought I was dying.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will probably be one of those people that gets really moody when I got off of it and I'm not really looking forward to it. This is why I don't want to go off of it..I just know I'll probably be a complete psycho. Poor Steve.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will probably be one of those people that gets really moody when I got off of it and I'm not really looking forward to it. Is it okay to take a mild anti-depressant if you're trying to conceive?  I have taken them before (short term) and they helped a lot and I don't feel that way any more (once in a blue moon).
  • Options
    appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    man theknot is not being kind to me today :/I heard from my hair/makeup artist(her friend takes this) that they sell something that is supposed to increase your sex drive but she didn't know if it worked or not.Anyways, that is the main reason I am going off BC.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Um...I don't want a baby.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Um...I don't want a baby. Emi,That made me smile.  I want one, but I'll be okay if it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am tracking my period and ovulation using mymonthlycycle.com to prevent pregnancy. I have also read up on tracking ovulation/fertile days, safe vs. non safe days, etc. The site I use also tracks whatever symptoms you are having that are associated with your period.I do know that I didn't have cramps before I started BC and once I got on BC I had them. They weren't horrible but for a person not used to having them, it still sucked lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let me clarify...I don't want a baby...NOW. I've had plenty of NFP classes, read the books, saw an NFP OB, but knew the ring was right for me.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish the ring would have worked for me. But it didn't. It was painful and wouldn't stay where it was supposed to stay. And it gave me a yeast infection. I would love to be on the ring for two reasons: one, to see if the side effects are different, and two, I wouldn't have to remember to take something every night lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Julie, I once had the same thing happen!  I forgot to take 2 days of pills and had to start a new pack.  I bled for 28 days straight.  Gah, the human body and hormones - without the perfect balance everything goes haywire!
  • Options
    almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went off the pill a couple of weeks ago. I am definitely looking forward to increasing my sex drive. I am hoping that it will be easier for me to lose weight without all of the extra hormones, and I want to be off of the pill for several months before we start TTC. I am not accustomed to having a period every month, though (been on a 3 month cycle), and I am NOT looking forward to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have problems with my BC and I don't usually take the placebos otherwise I create polyps in my uterus and they have to be taken out.  It did take awhile to find a pill that worked for me though and that I didn't have any crappy side effects.  The only reason I am on it is because I have PCOS and endometriosis; some claim that BC just covers up the PCOS and doesn't really treat it but BC also helps with the pain of the endo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, well most of you know my position on it. I will say doing NFP will be a lot easier for me because I am ridiculously "regular" (no, not in that way) and very rarely even have cramps. (don't hate me!)I have heard that hormonal BC can mess with your libido (though I'm not sure in everyone)--I have a friend dealing with that now. Hehe, that is enough reason alone for me to avoid it :)
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Def BC! I have a 1 year old now and I want to wait awhile before my next one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went on it years ago for acne (and now wish my mother hadn't been so against it in high school because it made my life so much easier in other ways as well).  I guess in some ways I was lucky and the first one I tried worked perfectly - no bad side effects.  One reason I think it works well for me is that I'm a very meticulous person.  6:45 am alarm goes off and the pill goes in my mouth (which means 4:45 am when I'm visiting my parents on the west coast).  DH keeps suggesting I switch so that I don't have to deal with taking a pill every day (maybe his way of saying he hates the alarm), but it works for me and I have no intention of switching in the near future.  I read a recent discussion on another message board that Mirena (IUD) might be an alternative for women who don't want the libido crushing side effect of some pills.  But that has its own complications for some women.  I think it's whatever works for you, and it's a trial and error process, unfortunately.
  • Options
    amberproamberpro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I'm jumping in on this discussion late.... I've been on the ring for over a year now and I really like it.  I almost stopped because I was really "angry" for 2 straight months, but I guess things leveled out.  I have noticed a slight decrease in my sex drive, but it's nothing that's significant enough to risk a baby by getting off of it. 
    photo images_zps41edd072.jpg

Carter born 5/28/11
    BFP 9/27/12 EDD 6/11/13, MC 9wks, no HB

• Options
    kcmedstudentkcmedstudent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was on BC for 6 1/2 years for acne.  It stopped working for my acne and I was having severe cramps and minor cysts.  I got off BC in February.  I just went in last month to discuss bc options for us since we're getting married.  I am in medical school and there is no way a baby right now is possible!I got an IUD put in 4 weeks ago.  The first week was HELL!  I felt like I was having contractions.  I would be fine and then all of a sudden I would just cramp over and felt that my uterus was squeezing so hard.  After that first week it was every now and then I would cramp but it felt like menstrual cramps.  I am now 5 days no cramps at all.  I'm going back to the doc in 2 weeks for an ultrasound to make sure it is still in the right place.I can't tell you how effective it is since I'm not having sex yet, but it is the most effective form out there right now. 
  • Options
    tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got on BC because my periods were coming every 21 days and were very painful(like could barely stand up painful and I'm not exagerating either). And I was on the every 3 month BC but then I started getting painful periods again and so time to change. I have no idea how I will react going off because I never have PMS symptoms and didn't either before I went on BC. So I'm assuming I will be regular ole Nicole.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never had period-related issues other than some major irregularity when I was younger. I was on the ring for four years, and I loved it, but I recently got off of it because I can't afford it right now. Plus, FI and I are 10 hours apart, so there isn't much chance of an accidental pregnancy. But, I want to start TTC in the next year, maybe a little more, so I'm not sure there's any point in bothering to get back on it. We were planning on just using barrier methods, but those are annoying, so I may start keeping track of everything so we don't have to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm on the patch and i LOVE it... I've been on it since about 2004 and recently switched to Loestrin 24 and I hated it, my sex drive went down to zero and I got suppppppeeeer depressed... so after a few months I changed back to the patch, and I'm so happy again... and my libido is back, yay! My gyno doesn't seem to have any problems with the patch, I used to get so scared about the blood clots and stuff, but she told me not to worry about it, and its always worked for me, seeing as I don't have any babies. (Knock on wood) PS. I literally just knocked on wood.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

(I replied last night, but apparently it got deleted because of the new board)

I got on BC just before Sam and I got married. I told them BC had killed my sex drive in the past, so I needed something different - they put me on Ortho TriCyclen-Lo. It still kept me from having any sex drive at all. So, as of last week, I stopped taking my horomonal BC and have started doing the NFP/FAM method. I'm 100% confident that I can do it - it's extremely easy, and I've already learned so much about my body that I didn't know before.

If, by chance, we do get pregnant, though... Sam and I are totally fine with that. I'd like to hold off about another year(Sam is ready for kids now... eek!), but if it happens, then we'll be okay with it. :)

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_bc-vs-bc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:10498623Post:827ded45-618f-4370-aac2-c1fee9edc4ea">Re: BC vs. No BC</a>:
    [QUOTE](I replied last night, but apparently it got deleted because of the new board) I got on BC just before Sam and I got married. I told them BC had killed my sex drive in the past, so I needed something different - they put me on Ortho TriCyclen-Lo. It still kept me from having any sex drive at all. So, as of last week, I stopped taking my horomonal BC and have started doing the NFP/FAM method. I'm 100% confident that I can do it - it's extremely easy, and I've already learned so much about my body that I didn't know before. If, by chance, we do get pregnant, though... Sam and I are totally fine with that. I'd like to hold off about another year(Sam is ready for kids now... eek!), but if it happens, then we'll be okay with it. :)
    Posted by resoundingnoise[/QUOTE]

This is exactly where I am at. We would like to wait a year before TTC but if it happens now, we are ready just not as ready as we would like to be financially. But I have been on 3 different BC's...the first one was great until the last year I was taking it, it started making me nauseous almost every day and I still had a somewhat good libido. Then I switched and the nausea got better but sex drive plummeted so I switched again(now on Yaz..well was) and again zero sex drive. So I started researching NFP and tracking my fertile days etc and with the help of the website I am using I feel confident that it will work if I keep track of it diligently. It was weird because I wanted to have sex but my body was like no that's ok. Very frustrating for both of us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_bc-vs-bc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:10498623Post:8e48d72c-797f-47e5-8e4b-f83a7a8fe32b">Re: BC vs. No BC</a>:
    [QUOTE]It was weird because I wanted to have sex but my body was like no that's ok. Very frustrating for both of us.
    Posted by appletango85[/QUOTE]

It has been exactly the same for me, and I hate it. It frustrates both of us and then we end up in a fight about it. Now I'm just waiting for my hormones to even back out(which I heard can take up to 2-3 months) so that I can feel normal again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards