Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

WDYT- Mexican food?

What do you think about Mexican food at a wedding reception?

Background- we're not having a "themed" wedding, but it's very casual, a little kitschy, this summer at a historic barn. Mexican food is his favorite ever, and I love it (not my ABSOLUTE favorite, but close)

We thought a taco bar and a burrito bar, with the rice, beans, corn etc, would work well for our mix of vegetarians and meat-eaters-  this way, each person can have EXACTLY what they want, right?

Any opinions/ advice would be hugely appreciated- thanks!
Steph and Chris, 6/26/10
Planned Executed

Re: WDYT- Mexican food?

• Rita092010Rita092010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So...if my venue offered Mexican food...that is what I would have.  I love Mexican food...maybe even a chips/salsa/guacamole bar?  Have a bunch of different types of salsa and chips.  I know it's kind of messy, but I would love it.  I say do whatever makes you happy - have fun with it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pandasquishypandasquishy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Mexican food, but my mother and grandmother would not eat any of that because they hate Mexican food.  It doesn't matter that they'd eat all the parts separately.  I would suggest having some more mainstream food in addition to the mexican.  Maybe some chicken breasts and some sort of potato.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • kkaew816kkaew816 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a fajita bar and chimichangas at our wedding, FI and I love Mexican food and we were looking for something different.
  • edited December 2011
    I hate mexican food, but I would be more than happy just getting beans and a few other things.  I don't think it would be a big deal if somebody didn't like the food.
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds great and most people like Mexican food. Instead of burritos which not everyone cares for, go for a fajita bar. That can be accommodated for vegetarians.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds like a great idea.  I know a lot of brides that have BBQ for their reception food so I don't see the difference.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    That's a great idea! I love it when couples mix it up and serve something interesting at weddings. There's only so much dry chicken, potato and steamed veg one can handle at these events before it starts to get boring.
  • edited December 2011
    We will have stations at our reception, and a taco bar is one of them.  We're having a soft and hard shell, chicken, a few salsas, garnishes, rice and beans.  Our other 2 stations are an Asian station, and a pasta station (both are vegetarian).  I think it is a fun, non-traditional idea!  
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there a Chipotle in your area?  Or something like it? If so, go check out what they serve and maybe you can do the same.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    I could eat Mexican every day.

I'm also a vegetarian and I think that is a great option. Just make sure the rice and beans aren't cooked with lard or chicken stock.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Mexican food.  If we had a good place that catered where I live, I would totally do Mexican.  Like Mery, I could eat it day and night.
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds fabulous to me!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having a taco man at my wedding. It's kinda trendy in LA/OC right now to hire a taco man that will cook and serve tacos at the venue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards