Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cupcakes as Centerpiece??

Has anybody done or thinking about doing cupcakes as centerpieces?

We're for sure doing cupcakes instead of cake, but I'm now thinking it would be cute to put a domed cake stand in the middle for cupcakes and use that as centerpieces...our color are ivory and purple, and the cupcakes will be a few different colors, with some decorated with pearls.

Thoughts? :)

Re: Cupcakes as Centerpiece??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's different! my only concern is whether your event is catered or a diy. if the cupcakes are the centerpieces how many will be at each table & are the guests free to remove?

If you're making the cupcakes with some food coloring it would be cool to make the cupcakes purple w/ the ivory frosting & you can get some crystalize sugar that's purple & sprinkle over them. You can also write your initials on them, your wedding date, names, terms of endearment, etc etc
    It Was Luv At First Bite!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a catered event but it is a buffet, so it won't be totally formal. We are ordering the cupcakes from a great bakery in the city (no DIY :) so I know they'll look pretty good!

Thanks for the suggestions - I think doing personalized touches like initials, date etc would add a great touch!! :)
  • Options
    sarahmarietmsarahmarietm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's a really cute idea!  I've seen people say they were going to do small cake centerpieces, but I always wondered who cut the cake at each table, stuff like that.  Good for you! My only advice is to not get too carried away with the food colorings, esp. darker colors like purple. Everyone will have purple tongues! Unless you're into that sort of thing :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What a neat idea! You can really get creative and have different styles on each table or a little bit of each design on each table. How creative!
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad and his wife did this for their wedding.  It was really cute.
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is what we're planning on doing.  We bought small cube vases at the dollar store and are filling them with water pearls.  Then we're putting floralytes in each one to light up purple.  Then we'll be stacking the cupcakes in boxes on top of a piece of glass.  The very top of the stack is a photo cube, the "pictures" being replaced with table numbers.  Here are some pictures (minus the actual cupcakes).

• Options
    edited December 2011

Friends of mine did this at their wedding.  It was really cute.  The used the cupcake tree stands that Wilton sells (can be bought at any craft store and holds 1 dozen cupcakes).  There were 10 or 12 people at each table, I can't remember now, but when dinner was done everyone grabbed a cupcake.  It was nice not having to wait incase you wanted to leave early but still wanted dessert.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing this too! I bought two cake servers for each table, one larger than the other. We're stacking them, and placing cupcakes on both, with some flowers and greenery mixed in. My tables seat 10 and there will be 12-14 cupcakes per centerpiece, with 4 different cake flavors.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cool! Thanks ladies :) I love the lighted idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards