Virginia

Not Virginia specific but still...

I have researched the marriage licence laws/rules in Virginia and feel pretty comfortable with them but I staill have one last question/concern. Do I need to apply for a licence in the city/county we are getting married in or the in the one we are going to live in? There is not much of a difference truly as the 2 cities are next to each other I just did not want to apply in one and then have to re apply/pay for the other because I made a mistake!

Re: Not Virginia specific but still...

• edited December 2011
    You can apply and use your license any where in the state. If it's easier to get it where you live and not where you'll be married, that's fine. Here are the details in case you want to see if for yourself: http://www.vdh.state.va.us/vital_records/marry.htm

FTR, H and I got our license in our home county (Henrico) and got married in Hampton. We had no problems when filing our license after the wedding. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, any license you get in Virginia is good in the whole state, and there is no waiting period between applying for the license and getting married.   However, I think it's only good for like 60 days, so you have to have your ceremony within that time frame.   So just get it wherever is more convenient for you.
    DSC_9275
  • niecie_jeffniecie_jeff member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the link Waltzing! I was looking for info on this as well
    AnniversaryBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Per the City of Chesapeake's website:

A marriage license can be obtained at any Circuit Court regardless of ones county or city of residence.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards