Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

video/photo/disk jockey

I have a small budget.  However I know how important it is to have a great Disk jockey to keep everyone happy and dancing...

Also video and photo's.  

Does anyone have some great recommendations who would also be in our budget.  

For all three we are looking to spend less then 2,000.  

Re: video/photo/disk jockey

• Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2000 total, right, not 2000 each?

For video, Adam Kegg worked out a deal with me to give me all the unedited footage for $400--not sure if he is doing that anymore, though.

For DJ, check out Andy with A Music Wave. I think he was $600 or $700

For photo, maybe Jessica Mooney, but even she might blow your budget. Not sure there
  • Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The photographer portion of that is going to be the most difficult... If I had your budget, I would sacrifice videographer and budget about $1300-$1500 for photography and $500-$700 for the DJ.  It's going to be really really hard to find any photographers for under $1000 unless you're looking for very limited coverage of your wedding day.  Not worth the sacrifice of that just to get a videographer, in my opinion.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got Andy with A Music Wave for 4 hours for $500, on a Saturday night. Definitely check and see what he can do for you.

Try Adam Kegg, like Marissa mentioned.

As far as photograpghy, sixfourteen, might be able to keep you in budget.

Trying to get all 3 of these things for $2,000 might be a little hard considering that some photographers alone start at $2,000. It's doable just be ready to negotiate and be willing to do research.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what day of the week, what time of day and how many hours are you needing?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer might be able to work something if you on the budget you are trying to get.  She is really good and is pretty good about working with budgets. 

www.robinannephoto.com
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Andy with A Music Wave for 4 hours for $500 - what is his phone # or website?

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That should be easy enough....

I would use:

Adam Kegg for video....probably looking at around $600.00

Union Valley Photography for photography.....charges $100.00 an hour with a four hour minimum, so if you just wanted the reception that would be $400.00

Melody and Memories for DJ....she charges anywhere from $700 - $1000

Right there that's $600 + $400 + $1000 = $2000
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is Andy's website, http://amusicwave.com, it's kinda cheesy but he's not. When you call him tell him you found him on The Knot and that Renee, his Oct. 2 bride, sent you. That way we both get a discount!

Let me know how it goes!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my photographer and dj should fit in your budget:
    Landon Day - Daydream photography http://www.daydreamphotography.net/ 817-983-1203
    lnday11@yahoo.com

Matt Sharp (DJ’s of Dallas) info@djsofdallas.com              www.djsofdallas.com

we are using a friend for the video.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly don't think you can get all 3 and have them be professionals for $2,000.

I understand having a really tight budget as I did as well.  We used an ipod instead of hiring a dj but husband is in a band so they had speakers and the equipment to do it properly.  Also one of our groomsmen was the MC (DH's bandmate).  I loved my photographer and I got a really great rate but to capture my entire day (8 hours) with 2 photographers it was close to $2,000. 

We didn't have a videographer because we couldn't fit it in the budget.
  • Options
    tifflee01tifflee01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well - I think this is very doable - ask friends of friends about djs. I think a lot of people on the knot have a lot of money :) - and we don't - check craigslist.com - a lot of people on here don't think its good to look at craigslist (these people with a lot of money), but we've found a lot of great finds on there. 

I'm  using barajasphotography.com (600) for pictures & looking into storiedmemories.net for videography (650) and sorry - my dj is free. Good Day productions has decent prices on video too (I think it was 700).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think it is doable, depending on the time of day, day of week and hours you want... again what are those?

also, the photographer will be the biggest factor you can play with depending on what you want... with or without photos, hours used, # of photographers used.... give us your specs and we can help.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_videophotodisk-jockey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:18ca7f52-8639-4c32-bb9b-01a0d33e8c2fPost:f7924358-d79e-4abb-9154-0fec94a67062">Re: video/photo/disk jockey</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well - I think this is very doable - ask friends of friends about djs. I think a lot of people on the knot have a lot of money :) - and we don't - check craigslist.com - a lot of people on here don't think its good to look at craigslist (these people with a lot of money), but we've found a lot of great finds on there. 
    Posted by tifflee01[/QUOTE]

This statement is inaccurate.... "a lot of people on theknot.com" do not have a lot of money. PLUS she told us her budget...no one is recommending anyone out of her price range, so I would say everyone is pretty helpful
  • Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "I think a lot of people on the knot have a lot of money..."

I can only speak regarding the DFW board and this is really not true.  I've been on this board for almost 2 years and we've rarely had the Platinum wedding bride type.  On the other hand, we have a lot of DIY and budget brides.  Also a lot of brides with what's considered average budgets.

All of us post on here because we want the best quality vendors for our budgets (even if our budgets vary).  I just think that when it comes to budget weddings, it's most important to prioritize what's important to you and maybe leave out other categories.  Quality over quantity.  $2000 for all 3 of these categories will be tough unless you want to risk it with Craigslist (again ask girls on this board who have had Craigslist experiences, some are ok, but most stories are less than stellar and this is your wedding day, there are no do-overs).  You're either going to have to sacrifice hours of coverage with the photographer, or go with less experienced videographers and DJ's.   Or just pick 2 of the 3 that are most important to you and get reputable vendors (with good recs from this board).
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rcpm4- I hope he is more responsive than your photographer! I have contacted her 3 times now and all she sent was a pricing sheet. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow to assume those of us on here have a lot of money to spend on our weddings is totally off base.  I had a very limited budget (less than 10K) and I certainly had to cut corners where I could.  However, photography was one thing I was willing to spend a bit more on because after the wedding is over that is the one thing you have left.

I was honestly being realisitic and sorry I agree with Donna I would not want to chance using someone on Craigslist.  I have heard too many horror stories.  Again I'm sorry if I was trying to give an honest response and after doing research myself.  All 3 for $2,000 is not doable unless you want to forgo quality.

Like I said above, we used an Ipod and it worked for us but I can guarantee you, my wedding was not rocking.  It was low key and if we had a DJ alot more people would probably have been on the dance floor.  But honestly my DH and I could not afford it.  Also I have been to weddings with awful djs and the guests can't wait to leave.  I knew I couldn't afford a decent dj so I didn't want a really cheap one that would be really bad. 

I think some of us are just trying to help out the OP and be realistic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree Donna.  My advice is to get a professional DJ and Photographer, which you can definitely make work for under $2000. Then, ask a family or friend to capture the wedding on a digicam, which is what we will most likely be doing. My future SIL got a videographer... and haven't even looked at the video since their wedding in 2006. I think it's a waste of $$.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_videophotodisk-jockey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:18ca7f52-8639-4c32-bb9b-01a0d33e8c2fPost:6ef85056-ef30-495b-99db-2c05fa593ca8">Re: video/photo/disk jockey</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree Donna.  My advice is to get a professional DJ and Photographer, which you can definitely make work for under $2000. Then, ask a family or friend to capture the wedding on a digicam, which is what we will most likely be doing. My future SIL got a videographer... and haven't even looked at the video since their wedding in 2006. I think it's a waste of $$.
    Posted by tam427[/QUOTE]

totally agree!!! a friend is doing our video and FI will edit!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    tifflee01 -  I find it pretty odd that you claim everyone ELSE has a lot of money on this board but you stated in another post that your ceremony is at the Marty Leonard Chapel in FT Worth...which is pretty pricy for a ceremony space

Or could it be that you prioritized what was important for you....like most of us do on here. One girl could really be into her photography and pay $5,000 as were I am not that big into photography so I used a family member who offered to do it for free......Like Donna said "I just think that when it comes to budget weddings, it's most important to prioritize what's important to you and maybe leave out other categories."

And yes MOST (although not all) girls that have used someone off Craigslists did not have a good experience with that vendor.

Please don't make assumptions based off something you do not know.
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_videophotodisk-jockey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:18ca7f52-8639-4c32-bb9b-01a0d33e8c2fPost:e79b681d-535b-4b7f-a64a-9e23d1419efa">Re: video/photo/disk jockey</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rcpm4- I hope he is more responsive than your photographer! I have contacted her 3 times now and all she sent was a pricing sheet. 
    Posted by tam427[/QUOTE]

The photographer that I'm using for my wedding or the one I suggested isn't getting back to you? Kristina, my wedding photographer, is always really great about getting back to me via e-mail or phone. I just called her and she knows you (I told her your screen name) and she said she's going to check her outbox. Let me know what comes from this!

EDIT: She is great on the phone, have you tried calling her?
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did find our cake lady off craigslist and was happy with her, but that was pretty much the only vendor I was okay with getting off Craigslist.

If there is anyone you probably don't want to get off Craigslist, it is a photographer, though you might luck out. Make sure they can show you a detailed portfolio of past work, and you might find someone talented who is starting out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_videophotodisk-jockey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:18ca7f52-8639-4c32-bb9b-01a0d33e8c2fPost:5db74e25-a629-4ae3-b30a-c49e461e53ac">Re: video/photo/disk jockey</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: video/photo/disk jockey : The photographer that I'm using for my wedding or the one I suggested isn't getting back to you? Kristina, my wedding photographer, is always really great about getting back to me via e-mail or phone. I just called her and she knows you (I told her your screen name) and she said she's going to check her outbox. Let me know what comes from this! EDIT: She is great on the phone, have you tried calling her?
    Posted by rcpm44[/QUOTE]

Yes, Kristina. Thanks for getting in touch with her. I never tried to call her, just emailed her a couple of times. I just found it odd that she emailed me saying she would send me information then never did. Maybe it was a computer issue, since she said she was moving, or she got caught up and forgot about it. She emailed me back today though, so all is good. Thanks, and sorry if I seemed annoyed!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tam, it's ok! I'm glad you were able to get ahold of her. I actually just replied to your PM. Basically, saying the same thing I've already said. Let me know if you need anything else!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies - I still think it's very doable. The key will be research, research, research. My wedding is around 8K for 200 for everything. But that's my business - I'm a planner. Some can put their effort into helping this lady find some resources instead of bashing me. My opinion is my opinion and in my post I put "I think." - so that's opinion, not fact.

Sorry your post got trashed with unnecessary posting.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies - I still think it's very doable. The key will be research, research, research. My wedding is around 8K for 200 for everything. But that's my business - I'm a planner. Some can put their effort into helping this lady find some resources instead of bashing me. My opinion is my opinion and in my post I put "I think." - so that's opinion, not fact.

Sorry your post got trashed with unnecessary posting.
  • Options
    stupid&luckystupid&lucky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.blevinsphotography.zenfolio.com, www.blevinsphotography.com/" target="_blank">www.blevinsphotography.com,
    www.blevinsphotography.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">www.blevinsphotography.blogspot.com

We found this photographer for my daughter's wedding on Craigs List, and I believe we are getting a fantastic deal!  I'm not going to quote a price, because he had advertised a "special" rate for booking by a certain time.

My daughter, Susan, really liked him, we perused his phones (she/Fiance are outdoor lovers, so his nature shots impressed us also) and made a decision to meet with him based on this.  We met with him and really liked him.  Has a good personality, seems to be on top of his game.

I'd venture to say he'd be good to contact, good luck regardless, this wedding business can be quite as expensive!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you're still looking into videography for your wedding or not but I think I can be of service to you if you are!

My name is Paul from Memories by Storied Productions.  We offer packages starting at $650 (I might be able to knock $50 bucks off for you too) and everything is professional and high definition.

Check us out at http://memories.storiedproductions.com if you'd like! We have demo footage and details available.  You may also call us at (972) 827-8037.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    try fx entertainment and video one productions
    they work together and if you use both they give you a discount
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards