Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Historic venue?

Hi Knotties--I'm new to the site, and overwhelmed by all there is to plan! (I wanted to elope, he wanted his ENTIRE family there, so we're compromising by doing something local and as easy as possible.)

My fiancee wants our wedding in a historic venue in the metroplex, but our choices seem pretty limited. Anyone have suggestions? So far, I've seen the Old Red Museum and some chapels. I would LOVE to have our ceremony and reception in the same venue.

Thanks for your help!
A

Re: Historic venue?

• Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Historic YWCA in Fort Worth
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Belltower Chapel and Gardens maybe?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Perfect, thank you! He really wants to find a place that will be around forever, so we will always have a spot to reminisce. I love the sentiment, and hope we'll be able to accommodate it!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our venue was I guess kind of historic--the Melrose hotel in Uptown.  It was built in 1924.  And yeah, every time we go there I think about the wedding.  :)  And since we really love the bar, we go there alot.  In fact, we went there after dinner on our first date which is why we got married there.

When the venue has special meaning, it's cool I think.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours is historic too - the Magnolia hotel, which is the old Pegasus Gas building. Our ceremony is in their ballroom across the street at the old Dallas Power and Light building.

Is the Mercantile building historic? I have seen a gorgeous outdoor ceremony in some pics there.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was married at the YWCA, which was originally built in the 20s as an Elk's Lodge. It's in the national register of historic places, or something along those lines.

The T&P Station in Fort Worth is also quite interesting.

I heard there was also something about the Stonegate Mansion that made it quite famous in Fort Worth.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were married at the Chestnut Square Chapel in Downtown McKinney. They can accomidate both wedding and reception, but I wouldn't recomment the venue if you plan on having over 100 people. We had about 75 and it was perfect.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dallas Heritage Village
    The Cotton Mill-McKinney
    I'm sure there are many others
    Why does time speed up the closer I get to the wedding?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How about The Filter Building on White Rock Lake?  That's where we are having our's.  Ceremony on the lake and reception inside.  Its beautiful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also do the Crow Collection of Asian Art if it's in your budget. Or one of the museums at Fair Park? Also, many old buildings downtown have been converted to event spaces. If you like the loft feel, I recommend Hickory Street Annex, 519 (I think) Leslie, or 333 somethingsomething. Sorry, the exact name escapes me!
    Anniversary

• Options
    Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fair park in Dallas or Union Station?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are a lot more then I thought. Our venue is the Fort Worth Hilton. It falls under the same category becuase it was the last place JFK slept.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_historic-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:1a403d70-5c33-4c31-9960-790722393c0dPost:50a5c07d-2b77-414c-bccd-8d72f13c631d">Historic venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Knotties--I'm new to the site, and overwhelmed by all there is to plan! (I wanted to elope, he wanted his ENTIRE family there, so we're compromising by doing something local and as easy as possible.)
    Posted by suitenlowe[/QUOTE]

I just read this part. I was in the same boat -- I thought if I ever got married, it'd be a quick thing in Vegas, but he wanted to be married in our home church. And his (huge) family all expected to be invited. We compromised and it turned out quite well :)

I do recommend hiring a planner if you can afford it, though. I would've lost my mind trying to do all of it myself (mostly because I didn't really want to/like the details).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_historic-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1a403d70-5c33-4c31-9960-790722393c0dPost:dfb5c181-ab3c-4f5b-b4b5-b87e1133230a">Re: Historic venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Historic venue? : I just read this part. I was in the same boat -- I thought if I ever got married, it'd be a quick thing in Vegas, but he wanted to be married in our home church. And his (huge) family all expected to be invited. We compromised and it turned out quite well :) <strong>I do recommend hiring a planner if you can afford it, though. I would've lost my mind trying to do all of it myself (mostly because I didn't really want to/like the details).
    </strong>Posted by MarieSD[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.  Especially if a big wedding is not your thing.

Also, I know Old Red can be expensive and it books fast.  We contacted them last September for my wedding this November and it was already booked.  =(  It is super gorgeous, though.

ALSO, last night I was posting from my phone and couldn't look up the names of the places I mentioned.  Here are my amended suggestions:

Hickory Street Annex
    333 First Avenue
    129 Leslie

All are lofty type places.  The first two are near Fair Park, the last one is off of Riverfront Blvd.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Tia_ChicaTia_Chica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Aloft Hotel in Downtown Dallas. It was originally bult by the Santa Fe Railroad and built in 1925. They told us that the reception area was where the trains passed through.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue is the historic Aldredge House on Swiss Avenue. It was built in 1915. The inside is small- perfect for our list of about 60, but they do have a nice back yard that accommodates 120-150 I think. The home is beautiful, just do a search for it. There are also a number of historic hotels downtown. Also check out the old Dallas Power & Light Building. I can't think of the name of the venue right now, maybe someone can help me out...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards