Getting in Shape

Arghhh

Last night, FI and I met friends for dinner. The friends got cookies.. I resisted the temptation.. then they started talking about the donut shop right next to the sub shop. Luckily, we stayed away.
Today I went grocery shopping and really wanted a dark chocolate reese's, but I said no. I had to go to subway for my boss and was so close to getting a cookie, but I didn't...

We are having a birthday party for FI and my dad this weekend, so I am trying to fight off the cravings until then..CAKE! :)

I obviously have a horrible sweet tooth. What cravings do you struggle with, and how do you deal with them?

Re: Arghhh

• You may be lacking on something in your diet to be having all these cravings.

Maybe you need a more protein based breakfast to keep the sweet cravings at bay.

Eat an egg, cheese, turkey sausage on a english muffin.

eat some fruit as a snack

eat a sandwich or salad for lunch

have another snack such as yogurt or anything

dinner- eat a small portioned dinner

snack- have some popcorn.

eating throughout the day keeps you from getting hungry

will keep your metabolism up

will make you feel full and therefore less likely to think about sweets

your stomach will be content so it wont tell your mind that you want sweets

drink a lot throughout the day

sometimes when we are thirsty, your brain confuses us into thinking we are hungry.

have something sweet as a treat such as a No Sugar Added Klondike Bar.

It has like 7 grams of sugar just no additional sugar added.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • To answer the question thought I crave things like Boneless Buffalo Wings at Applebees and Mexican Foods.

For the Mexican though,  I just get the Fajitas and other healthier options found in the book "Eat this, Not that"

As for the wings, there is no alternative to me because they are so good lol.  But if I get them I will share them, but they are still 600 calories if you share them!  lol.

So I try to stay away as much as I can.  It is okay as a treat or once in a while. 

But those are my favorite things.

I don't have a sweet tooth. lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I crave crusty white bread, like french baguette . . . anything with potatoes, especially if fried . . . rice noodle dishes like Pad Thai.  Starches mostly, and salty things. 

I deal with the cravings by mostly avoiding the craved foods, even in small portions.  I'm not that good at moderation, so it's easier for me to place a general "hex" on white carbs than to have just a few bites. 

I do still eat potatoes on occasion, but I try to do a baked potato topped with cottage cheese (sounds weird, tastes good) or homemade baked sweet potato french fries rather than, e.g., mashed potatoes.  When I get a noodle dish from our favorite Thai place, I eat all of the best stuff off of the top (vegetables, tofu, peanut) with just some of the noodles, and I don't take a to-go box with the rest of the noodles.  

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I find that the longer I stick with the healthy, clean diet, the less I want the really sweet things, but man oh man, sometimes I really want chocolate.  I had a salted dark chocolate bar in my hands last night at the grocery story, but, I managed to will myself to put it down.

Mostly, I deal with the cravings by working them in.  Stacey, I'd say that the birthday party (parties?) this weekend is a perfect time for you to work in some sweets.  Take a small piece and really enjoy every bite, and don't let yourself feel bad about eating it either. 

I think it's when we try to deny ourselves the things that we really want that we have the hardest time avoiding them.  If you make it so that it's not completely restricted, you might find you crave it less.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I have a craving for a few days I eat whatever it is I'm, but not in a full serving.  For me if I don't allow myself to have something I keep craving.  That's why weight watchers works well for me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • peonyprincess- good advice, and I try to follow most of it. My problem is that I am probably addicted to sugar. I could eat a great healthy meal, and still want something sweet afterwards, no matter how full I am. I don't eat sweets because I'm hungry, I eat them because I love sugar too much.  I've been doing really well trying not to eat too many sweets, but I'm also the type that if I deny myself something, then I end up splurging and make myself feel like crap. (Like I did with that candy corn afew weeks ago- bleh)
    Anyways, you are lucky you don't have a sweet tooth! LOL

raynes- I do plan on "cheating" this weekend with the birthday cakes, but I will definitely do like you said and have small portions.
  • I have a huge sweet tooth...love my sweets!  And I too eat sweets because I love sugar...not because I'm hungry.  When I used to eat healthy foods and I was maintaining a healthy weight I would allow myself one small treat a day...between 50 and 100 calories which I usually figured was about one bite or mouthfull of the sweet wonderful "whatever" it was at the time.  I also found healthier alternatives to satisfy the sweet craving like dark chocolate...the really health nut stuff like 70+ % cocoa and the like with fruit or nuts in it (green & blacks makes some really good ones) and I suck on the chocolate rather than chewing it so I get to savor it longer.
    I really try not to completely deny myself of the things I love--but I need to be more careful not to overindulge.  I have 15+ lbs that I'd love to lose before the wedding...but who knows if I'll do it or not.  I've got to get the motivation first...and with my dress fitting me perfectly right now and the costs of alterations looming I really don't have much motivation at all!
    Well, I hope this helps...some.
  • I have a major sweet tooth.  I've found that if I go ahead and eat a sweet breakfast, I don't crave it for the rest of the day.  Not the best option, but it's better than eating a dozen cookies later in the day. 

I also eat one piece of dark chocolate when I finish lunch.  After I eat that I'm DONE.  Then I'm not tempted to get another serving of pasta or dig into some chips.
  • Hmm, thats interesting Jenn. I find that when I eat a sweet breakfast, it makes me want more sweets that day. LOL

I like the dark chocolate idea...I am a huge fan of dark chocolate.
    I used to get those 10 calorie jello cups to fight off sweet cravings, but I am trying to steer clear of any sugar substitutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards