Getting in Shape

Real sugar vs. fake

What are your thoughts on real sugar vs. fake (Sweet and Low, Splenda, Equal)?  I'm a big coffee drinker and for years I've been taking it with skim milk and three Equal.  If I drink 1-2 cups per day would I be better off switching to 3-6 real sugars and putting in the calorie count?  I've heard some media reports about diet soda, but I haven't taken the time to read the papers so I didn't know if it was a correlation or causation. 

Re: Real sugar vs. fake

• Ideally, you wouldn't be using sweetener at all. But personally, I'm a believer in a little moderation in all things - if I want sugar, I'll have real sugar. Not an overload of sugar, but a taste.

Other than not liking how artificial sweeteners taste, I don't think there's enough known about them. Some might break down into formaldehyde in your body, aspartame might cause cancer... we just don't know.

But the studies that have been done show that people who consume diet sweetener tend to crave even more sweets and calories and end up consuming more calories than those who don't use them. Something about chemical receivers in your brain not being satiated, I think.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • The real thing is always better with all things.  But, there is a better option.  You could do Stevia.  It's an all natural sweetener derived from plants.  And it's a lot better for you than real sugur and fake sugar.  And, it's zero calories. 

imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • I also use stevia.  It comes from a plant and only recently became available in the US because the sugar lobby had laws in place that prevented the sale of stevia on it's own.  Granted, I use it very sparingly.

Sometimes I put a dab of flavored syrup (like the kind they have at Starbucks, they sell it at World Market in a ton of flavors) in my coffee, but more often than not, I can go with just chocolate milk instead of cream and sugar.  It took me some time to wean myself from the extra sweetness but I feel like I'm drinking a better cup of coffee now. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You should also know that "fake" sugars are often 300 times the sweetness of regular sugar. This leads you to wanting more sugar later. I tried to wean myself off of splenda a few years ago and only have a half packet every once in awhile. Maybe try drinking your coffee with milk.
  • Thanks!  I will look into Stevia.  Also, I think I'll try weening myself off the sweet coffee.  I tried going sugarless once, but the big jump was way too much.
  • I used to get a double-double every morning with splenda, on top of having it in other things throughout the day occasionally.  I never really thought about it when I was having different stomach and gastric issues, but then there was study released about the problems with splenda.  It was found to kill the good bacteria in your intestines, hinder the effects of prescription meds, and actually cause you to gain weight.  After that I stopped using it altogether and did a week of probiotic yogurts and drinks and my stomach issues completely went away.  That was truly the only thing I had changed so I know that was it. 

For coffee now I always have flavored creamers at home and work, and there are different flavors in fat free too.  I use a splash of that in my coffee and I don't need any sweetener.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    The other ladies have touched on all the points I would.  As an alternative to sugar you could also try honey or agave syrup.  Also, if you really want to do sugar, try raw or turbindo sugar.  Less processing = better for you.

And yeah, if you're going to go sugarless, do it gradually.  Take a few days/a week to get used to your coffee w/, say, 1/2 packet less sweetner, then decrease another 1/2 packet.  If you get to a point where you just can't decrease it anymore, then that's ok.  You might also want to look into flavoured coffees.  It might help with the lack of sweet!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the Sugar in the Raw stuff. Its brown crystals, you can buy it in packets at the store. I use one packet sugar in the raw with one tbsp of creamer in my coffee in the morning.

I've tried stevia, but I find that it has a really strange aftertaste to it. I like splenda okay, but If Im going to use sugar, Id rather put something real in my body. (like honey, or sugar in the raw-- which is not processed.)

• I'm not sure the "stevia comes from plants" arguement really holds water. I mean, corn syrup also comes from plants... so does cocaine.

Just because it originated from something natural deosn't mean it's "better" for you.
  • I use honey or sugar in the raw for sweetener I don't like the idea of eating chemicals in artificial anything. I find I use less sugar in the raw. I just don't care for stevia. I'd rather have none then something that tastes bad. 
  • Wow, 3 equals per cup?!  You are going to have to use a crapload of sugar to get that level of sweetness so I would definitely recommend trying to adjust your taste somewhat first.
  • I know 3 packs is a lot!  Today I cut it down to 2 and after the first few sips I didn't even notice.  I'll try 2 for a while and then cut from there.

When you say flavors you mean flavored beans and not the flavor shots they add at Starbucks and Dunks right?  I always thought those were flavor syrups and were mostly sugar.

Thanks for all the ideas!  This is going to be a mini side goal for me for the summer.  At least I'm already using skim right?

• raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Yes, I mean flavoured coffee beans/grinds.  The syrups are just what you said!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards