Getting in Shape
Options

What's Your Motivation

Good Evening Ladies!

I am writing to find out what motivates you to get your butt to the gym. I have a membership and spin every saturday morning, but the weekdays are very difficult! I am a special education teacher in a school for severe special needs so by 3:15 in the afternoon I am SPENT! I am not a morning person, so early AM workouts are out. What  gets you going? Gives you that push to get yourself to the gym no matter how tired you are? Is it the dress? Your FI? I have 137 days to tone up and feel mentally and physically better about myself! What is your secret?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What's Your Motivation

• Options
    I just think about how great I feel after my workout. I always sleep better, wake up more energized, and overall feel great! I love going to the gym. I have met some "gym friends" and its nice to keep in touch.

Sometimes when I feel like Im in funk and I dont feel like going or I notice I am not pushing myself hard enough... I buy new gym clothes!! lol. I know that is so weird, but i feel like if i get a nice gym outfit, I have to use it. 
  • Options
    I just decided I wanted to look and feel better.  And now that I've lost most of the weight, I don't ever want to go back to the way I was.  That helps get me to the gym. 

I've also just made it routine.  Unless I was feeling ill, I just made myself go for several months.  I now know that even if I don't feel like working out, I usually feel awesome about myself afterwards.  Even if I'm feeling blah, I just tell myself that I can go and do a lighter workout. 
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    My desire to be fit, to be thinner, to feel better about myself, are all far more important to me than sitting on my butt. The progress ive seen, the knowledge that I CAN reach my goal if I go to the gym, keeps me motivated. My weight loss goal is my NUMBER ONE priority in life right now. Ive been going regularly enough that it is just part of my day, like any other activity you have to do on a regular basis. Ontop of that, I feel better after working out, like pp said, I sleep better, my mood is better and I generally feel good about myself. Its worth it.
  • Options
    I have a new motivation... I went to try on bathing suits for the first time this season, and I didn't recognize my ba donka donk in the mirror!  I just about died when I thought of our Hawaii honeymoon!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    About a year and a half ago I committed to working out on Monday and Thursday after work.  When things come up to try to distract me from working out on those days, I remind myself that it is a commitment I made to myself (I treat it as my priority).  It keeps me in a routine.  In addition to these nights, I try to fit in workouts other days and on weekends.  My workouts on Monday and Thursday make me feel so good that I feel motivated on other days to workout.  It might sound weird, but it has worked for me.
  • Options
    While my main motivation is to become a healthier person, here are some things that get me out of a rut:

-New Gym Clothes/Shoes: Lululemon workout pants are instant motivation! Try them!
    -Watching Health-Conscious Shows: I like You Are What You Eat and the documentary Food Inc. 
    -Seeing photos of my abs from when I loved them and photos of when I disliked them
    -The feeling of being stronger after a good weight lifting session

• Options
    You just have to make it a priority.  It's not always something I like doing, but in order to be healthy, it's something I have to do.  One of my favourite fitness bloggers compares working out to cleaning the cat litter.  It's not necessarily something you want to do, but if you don't do it, there are consequences, so, you do it.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also enjoy going to the gym so once I'm there, I'm fine. Getting there is the hardest part.

I also work in a special needs classroom so I hear you on being EXHAUSTED afterwards. That is why I go in the morning. I know you said you are not a morning person but perhaps if you work it in to the mornings 2-3 times a week, you will see that after you do it for a week or two, you will realize that your body adjusts and it will actually make getting through the day a bit easier. I'm not going to lie that when the alarm clock goes off at 5am, I think to myself, "UGHH," but once the workout is done, I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day! It's a very gratifying feeling!
    Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This may be controversial but watching the 300-400 lbs guys on biggest loser make me feel like... ok... I can get on the treadmill if *they* can!

As I've said in a previous thread, the destination wedding has motivated me to not only fit into my dress but look decent in a bikini.

I think of my wedding day and I want to look back on the photos and say that I was super healthy (not just thin) and that actually worked hard *consistently* to achieve a goal.

I also have a folder on my computer called "motivation". I have some doozy photos from past xmases where I looked gray, swollen and my eyes were even unhappy. One of the first compliments I recieved when I started on my health journey was, "wow, you have a sparkle in your eye!". Total cheese but I'll take it.
  • Options
    It is hard, but you just have to make yourself do it. I always tell myself how much better I feel after I get done working out.
  • Options
    I definitely prefer to get up early and get it done in the mornings. Usually by the time I wake up enough to realize how much I'm sweating & my heart is pounding, I'm half done! In the evenings I prefer doing something like yoga or pilates, or in the summer going for a bike ride. 
    Definitely making a schedule for yourself will help, not just a 'mental' one either. Get it in writing, set reminders for yourself & be sure to plan 'rewards' for  yourself for consistent behavior.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am not always motivated to go to the gym after work, so I have to pack my bag in the morning and take it with me.  And I actually change when I am leaving the office so that I am in my work out clothes when I get in the car.  I joined a new gym recently and I literally have to drive by the entrance to my subdivision on my way to the gym.  I find that I am tempted to stop by home real quick, but the odds of me going back to the gym once I've gone home are less than 5%.  So I will drive a little out of my way (probably about 1/2 mile) so I don't drive by my subdivision and I am not tempted.  It's so silly, but heck, it gets me to the gym.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_whats-motivation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:0e59efe5-c22f-4bbb-9bc5-f22b79309db0Post:46fced14-e2f9-4cb2-b642-5ebab729e69f">Re: What's Your Motivation</a>:
    [QUOTE]This may be controversial but watching the 300-400 lbs guys on biggest loser make me feel like... ok... I can get on the treadmill if *they* can! Posted by smorreau[/QUOTE]

Not my motivation...but agree.  Just shovelling all that snow we had, by the time I got to the end of the drive I was half dead.  And I was like...if they can muster up that energy for a "last-chance workout" I can finish a flipping driveway! 

My motivation is by doing daily weigh-ins.  I know a lot of people do them weekly, but I do them daily.  With a food log...I can track exactly what foods have worked for me and which ones don't.  Seeing the scale move is my huge motivation...tells me whether to step it up a bit, or to keep doing what I'm doing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    Multiple things. The immediate stuff is my high school reunion, FI's college reunion, and my wedding this year.

But I also have a gym buddy! I run home and change after work and my friend and I go to the gym together. I also do personal training 2x a week. Both these things give me accountability when I feel like I'd rather just skip the gym. I know at least one other person is counting on me to be there.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I want to become the person I've always wanted to be.  I want to be fit, healthy and yes thin.  It's not just a fitness thing though.  This is a whole lifestyle change in which I try to be more patient, less stressed, more giving and focus on being a happy healthy person.  This morning I didn't feel like getting out of bed and getting on the elliptical-but that's not the person I want to be, I want to be the girl that works out and feels great-so I got up and worked out and feel great about it.  Sure, I want to look great in my wedding dress, but I also want to be proud of who I am as a person.  Being healthy is part of that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all of your great suggestions. You have all demonstrated how much you value your mind, body, and spirit! YOU GO GIRLS! You were definitely the motivation I need :)

Happy planning (and working out)! Laughing

ps...I love the kitty litter comparison!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards