Getting in Shape
Options

Back & Shoulder exersises for a Strapless Dress?

Hi Ladies!

I am getting married next June and I have already purchased/ordered a strapless gown for the big day. 

Any tips for exercises or machines that I should use at the gym to help tone my shoulders and back muscles?

Thanks!

Re: Back & Shoulder exersises for a Strapless Dress?

• Options
    Push-ups do wonders. I think the sticky note on top is gone but check out hundredpushups.com for a fun and motivating challenge.
  • Options
    lol..Raynes????????? suprised you haven't commented on the above???Laughing
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_back-shoulder-exersises-strapless-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:10276384-3c2b-4b3c-9a43-d79ac7ddf671Post:e6650aee-b160-4d43-b893-33f6d219cc78">Re: Back & Shoulder exersises for a Strapless Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]lol..Raynes????????? suprised you haven't commented on the above???
    Posted by jennabob[/QUOTE]

Totally thinking the same!
  • Options
    I second hundredpushups.com.  You can do pushups anywhere. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm checking out hundredpushups.com right now.

Thanks!
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_back-shoulder-exersises-strapless-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:10276384-3c2b-4b3c-9a43-d79ac7ddf671Post:f50b4eac-6241-4fe9-9895-db760d287c07">Re: Back & Shoulder exersises for a Strapless Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have found that the assisted pull-up machine and the seated row work wonders for my upper body. Just make sure you do a higher number of reps with a lower weight to tone the muscles. (<strong>A high weight and a low number of reps will add bulk muscle</strong>, and i don't think you want to be ripped, just nicely toned.)
    Posted by hrgunasekera1[/QUOTE]

I cant express how wrong this statement is.
  • Options
    any deltoid exercise or pec exercise will work, also shoulder press, seated row, skull crushers, bicep curls ( do them standing on 1 leg, do a total of 10 reps, five per arm, then switch to the other leg) I do these exercises that are prone and you lay face down on the bench using a 2.5 pound weight and start off with your arms straight over your head (in an I formation), do 10 of these, the put your arms out like a T, do 10 of these, then inverted I (again, 10), then put your arms down and then up, like you are doing an end zone (it's good!) pose.  Do those a couple times through and you will be crying.  Also, hold and flutter exercises are good as well, I'm sure you can google any of these I mentioned and find something appropriate!

Good Luck!!

• Options
    Push ups!!!  Yes - if you can - try to take a boot camp class to tone up - or purchase a Jillian Michaels disk - 30 day shred is great!  I bought one at Walmart for $10.

Nebb is wrong - you cannot add a lot of bulk if you add a bit more weight.  You won't look like the hulk if you increase the weight - no worries!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_back-shoulder-exersises-strapless-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:10276384-3c2b-4b3c-9a43-d79ac7ddf671Post:bc026868-5702-4e27-9024-11120a88af4f">Re: Back & Shoulder exersises for a Strapless Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Push ups!!!  Yes - if you can - try to take a boot camp class to tone up - or purchase a Jillian Michaels disk - 30 day shred is great!  I bought one at Walmart for $10. <strong>Nebb is wrong - you cannot add a lot of bulk if you add a bit more weight.  You won't look like the hulk if you increase the weight - no worries!!</strong>
    Posted by lyn_mello[/QUOTE]
    Did you read what she posted?
  • Options
    oops - wrong name - my bad!  
  • Options
    you won't bulk up unless you start taking testosterone....ignore the warning that heavy weights mean looking like a dude.  total myth.  i promise.  I bench 85 on a light day and i am all girl.
    That said, shoulder raises, assisted pull up and dip, incline press, seated row, low row, preacher curls, lat pull downs, push ups, shoulder presses. 
    and don't forget the cardio!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I second fyrefairie.  Lifting is going to give you an awesome upper body - especially if you build more muscle.

You won't get bulky.  You will get lean.  At my max (with good form) I can bench press 320, and I can wear a 50 lb. weighted vest and do a pull up (I'm working up to 90 - the total of my weight loss).  I don't look bulky, my arms don't bust out of clothes.  But I am basically the human version of a pack mule.

Oh, and my favorites are pull ups and push ups (with a weighted vest... but that's optional).  I also really like what squats and lunges do for me - especially lateral lunges (but those are lower body).  Rowing and swimming are a great cardio supplement for the upper body.

For my abs, I lift my knees into my chest (tuck position) or I lift them straight out from my hips (pike position) while I am doing pull ups.  Ankle weights make these harder.
  • Options
    Push ups are for your chest and pecs usually, not back and shoulders.  I say lat pull downs, rowing,

Jillian Michaels was  in self magazine for a total work out thing, here is the link in case you're interested

http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2010/01/let-jillian-michaels-train-you-slideshow?mbid=synd_yahoohlth#slide=9
  • Options
    Falling is right about the pushups.  Let me encourage you to find exercises that wok your back and chest and shoulders and ttriciep and biceps.  And don't ignore the lower body, just because it isn't showing with your dress.  A balanced well toned body will helo you rock your dress and feel more confident and healthy al around.  Muscle is more energetic that fat so as you increase muscle mass you will burn more calories at rest (which is not an excuse to forgo cardio but rather a nice supplemental benefit).  Also, I like to do yoga or pilates on my off days.  A good pilates class actually works your core pretty hard but is also relaxing and soothing on a tired body!   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i also love jillian michaels (especially her 30 day shred...i've never had better arms than when i did that 3 times a week!) also if you have cable tv see if you have the exercise on demand channel. it has tons of targeted and general workouts (including jillian michaels!)
  • Options

Bench press has always made my arms and upper chest look great! Toned that is not huge. Bicep curls work well also.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards