Getting in Shape
Options

NGISR:Advice Please

Ok ladies. You're all so supportive over here so I came to you all for advice. Background: A girl in our apartment building accidentally started a fire. Fi and I hear her screaming, see the smoke from above her door, and rush to get our fire extinguisher. We manage to get the fire out and everyone was fine. We all had to stand outside for an hr. Firefighters noticed I was coughing a lot and told me to go to the emergency room to see if I had smoke inhalation. They said if didn't go and I had it, then I could get pneumonia. So I went. I used my insurance but they only paid 80% of the bill. The rest is $238. I can't afford that and quite frankly, maybe I'm being a bi*ch but I don't think I should have to pay this. I went to the leasing company for our building. They were very grateful to us for putting out the fire so I figured they could help. The guy there told me to send him an email with all the information that he could pass along to his boss who would have to decide if they could pay it or not. If they didn't, I could go to the girl who started the fire and get the money from her. Well I sent the email and never heard back anything. That was a month ago. I have since sent a follow up email and no reply to that either. Had he not specifically told me to email, I would think he just doesn't check it or I have the wrong address but I feel like I am getting the run around. I didn't want the bill to go unpaid and to go against my credit so Fi paid it with his tax refund but I still want this paid. That was our wedding money. We are scrapng by right now. Should I just suck it up and forget about it or stop by the leasing office to talk to them in person? The main reason I'm reluctant to continue to pursue this is because I don't want to come off as some money hungry bi*ch that is trying to squeeze money out of them. I'm not asking for more money to cover some psycological damage. I just want my hospital bill covered. And if I had more money and weren't so strapped for cash, I wouldn't care. I would pay it and be done. But I'm not. Advice please. :(

Re: NGISR:Advice Please

• Options
    Sorry. I didn't realize how long that was until after I posted it.
  • Options
    Personally I absolutely do not think you should have to foot any of this bill whether you had the means to do so or not - I would definitely pursue getting your portion of the bill covered
    IMG_2788

2/20/2011
  • Options
    I would send a certified letter with a copy of your medical bill direclty to the leasing company.  They have insurance and should be grateful that they only have to pay $200.   In your letter make sure you request a response one way or another so at least you know where you stand.  You are not going to come off as a money hungry bich.  You are just asking for what you are rightfully entitled too.  BTW...it is cool that you guys are heros...GL
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm so glad you know where I'm coming from. I will work on getting a letter sent to them ASAP. Again, thanks!
  • Options
    I would also keep small claims court in mind... I don't know the details or how much it would cost to file though. Good luck, you did a really brave thing!
  • Options
    Fi said the same thing. But he's in law school so I just figured he was eager to get some practice in. Lol. Good to know someone else has the same idea.
  • Options
    I think you should pursue it.  A few years ago I was getting out of a friend's car and I nailed my head on the kayak rack they had on top of it (no, we weren't going kayaking, they just never took it off the car). I wound up going to the ER with a concussion.  My health insurance sucks (at the time I had a $2000 deductible), so long story short, I wound up having my friend's dad report it to his car insurance company and go through them. I feel bad about it now, because who knows if they had it affect their premium, but there was no way I could pay for that. No. Way.
  • Options
    My FI's an attorney, so maybe it's on my mind too! :) It's true though, she should have to cover it or the apt. complex. Ask FI to find out if there are any laws about rental insurance and to review your lease to see if there's anything else you can do. GL!
  • Options
    You ladies have been, as usual, very supportive. I decided to go to talk to them on my lunch break. I went armed with a copy of the bill. It was someone different than the one I talked to the first time and this guy made a copy of my bill and said he would contact me soon. Probably not today but within the week. If I don't hear from him by Monday I will call him to see where we stand on getting it paid. It definitely made me a lot less nervous, knowing that you all thought that they should be paying and that I was not being a bi*ch. Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it. Sometimes it helps getting an outside perspective.
  • Options
    Grr, social security in the U.S. really sucks. A relative of my FI has diabetes and needs so much insulin that his freaking insurance company won't pay for it anymore... How wonderful to be sick in the States. I think it's simply hateful! And I say just squeeze whatever money you can get from them; it could have been a LOT worse case!
  • Options
    Send them a certified letter with tracking number and outline the situation and EXACTLY what you're looking for (i.e. $238 reimbursment to cover the out of pocket expense not covered by your insurance). If you're not getting a positive response from them, send a second request mentioning the possiblity of small claims court. They don't want to pay court fees any more than you do, so they'll probably come up with the money.Also, maybe call the fire dept and ask for advice if you're not getting the response you need. This may be a situation they've dealt with before, and sometimes they have funds and/or other resources available. Sucks when we get punished for doing the right thing. Good luck!
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards