Getting in Shape
Options

Hospitality and weight loss

Is there anyone here who works in Hospo (or any job that means working odd hours) that has advice on how to loose weight?It feels like no matter how hard I try I can't loose weight. I think I'm just eating at the wrong times or something? And the last thing I want to do after being on my feet all day is exercise. Any advice would be great, and thanks in advance!

Re: Hospitality and weight loss

• Options
    Do you have access to a refrigerator at work? Do you have scheduled time off during your job? How many hours do you typically work per day? Are you moving around and walking at work or just standing?They time of day you eat is not even close to being as important as what you eat. Fruits, veggies, lean meats, yogurt, cottage cheese... These are all things that can easily be taken to work and kept in the fridge until you have a chance to eat them with little to no prep work. Also, sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine. You lose weight, not loose it. Your pants get loose when you lose weight. PSA ended. :)
  • Options
    You should eat a small meal every 3 - 4 hours to keep your blood sugar level steady, which ensures proper metabolism of your food. Each meal should include a protein source, fiber, and fat from a natural source, as opposed to made-man (trans) fat. Also include either a fruit or vegetable, preferably organic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Options
    Ok so I work as a nursing assistant right now, in my nursing clinicals, and trying to lose some weight! Even though I am on my feet walking around from patient to patient, lifting giving baths ect I still make time to work out! My eating schedule consists of a lot of quick easy and pre prepared (by myself) food. Ex: B- oatmeal, milk S- fruit L-salad (with chicken I cook on the grill the night before) light dressing, cheese, crutons S- protien bar such as clif mojo bar maybe fruit and then I wait to eat dinner until I get home around 8. I work 7a-7p and even though I barely have time to pee having quick and easily accessible snack and keep your metabolism moving will help you. I may only have 1 star but have lost 3 inches off my waist and now down a pant size. HTH
  • Options
    I agree with the posts above! How about working out in the AM before you go to work? That way it gives you more energy before going in for your longer hours and once you are done from work you can head home!
  • Options
    I forgot that one....my FI and I get up 4:45 am every morning that we work and do the couch to 5k or bike ride before I go into work. I make sure to do a protien shake or eggs after my workout as my post workout recovery and then start with breakfast at my first break from work between 9-10
  • Options
    I worked in hospitality for several years. Though now I am a nurse. Both jobs require odd shifts and being on your feet all day. They are quite similar really aaha.Anyway I know what you are saying about working out being the last thing you want to do after being on your feet all day at work. Thats why I FORCE myself to workout before work. It can be hard to make yourself get up that extra bit early. But you will feel soooo good all day. And then when you get home you can just relax and not worry about getting to the gym. Also be sure to make your lunches and bring them to work with you . That way you can ensure that you have no choice but to eat the healthy stuff you bring. Make sure you never bring change that could be used in a vending machine or you might be tempted.Good luck!PS what position do you do in hotels? I worked for Fairmont for a few years. Started in housekeeping, then to front desk, then to night audit. I transferred to different hotels so worked for a few of their properties.
  • Options
    Thanks for everything ladies! I will be taking all of your advice onboard. I am hoping to get out of hospo soon, so that will probably help. I work in a restaurant, so not being around food constantly will be good :)
  • Options
    Make sure that you are not sampling any of the food. I know it is constantly around and at times you need to sample things, but really try to limit it. Make sure you drink as much water as possible during your shift. Everyone gave good advice about eating and snacks, but if you are like me you never have a chance to eat a snack let alone lunch during your shift. Just make sure when you are not at work that you are eating healthy, well balanced meals.I have no exercise advice for you sorry...that is also my downfall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards