Getting in Shape
Options

Calf cramp

Yesterday I felt some pain in my right calf during my lunch-time run.  I stretched it out and made a note to drink more water (which I did) and maybe try to stretch it again later on (I forgot).  I woke up in the middle of the night with a charley horse in the same calf.  Usually this is because I have been out drinking and haven't had enough water, but I know that it's the case this time.  My calf still hurts today and I'm hoping it won't affect my workout later today.  Can I put a heat pack on it?  I am chugging water as we speak. 

Re: Calf cramp

• Options
    I used to get these all the time when I was playing basketball (it was knee related) and I found the best thing to do is really just rest it for a day.  You can do damage to the muscle if it isn't healed.
  • Options
    I agree with the resting. How have you been stretching it? I've found the best calf stretch comes from the downward dog position - are you familar?  Alternate pushing one then the other heel into the ground to loosen it up then put one leg on top of the other and push your heel into the ground again. I'd wait to do that when it's feeling  better, but I imagine a little heat or some bengay would really help in the mean time. GL and I hope it gets better asap!
  • Options
    I used to get these a lot....definetly do stretching and lots of water. Also make sure you are getting enough potassium.
  • Options
    Eat a banana.  I used to get charley horses all the time when I was pregnant.  The doctor told me it is your body lacking potasium. 
  • Options
    I have to eat a banana a day to keep the charlie horses away! I hate them and get them at night when they occur. Definitely rest, heat and stretch it out 3 times a day. It may take more than one day for it to start feeling better. GL!
  • Options
    Those are the worst!! I agree with PPs about getting enough potassium. I hope you feel better!
  • Options
    If you are getting them in the middle of the night, low potassium could definitely be the problem.  When you lose fluids during a workout, you also lose sodium and potassium.  Most people get enough sodium in their diet so that isn't an issue.  However, if you don't replenish the potassium, it can definitely cause leg cramps, and particularly night leg cramps.  Eat bananas, drink orange juice, drink Gatorade, or just take potassium tablets, and you'll likely start feeling better quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards