Getting in Shape
Options

Two totally unrelated questions

1) I just started Couch to 5k yesterday.  I used to run in high school, but have gotten out of the habit in the last, oh, decade.  I would try to run some in law school, but it seemed I developed shin splints fairly easily, so I never pushed.  While I don't have full-on shin splints today, my shins are definitely aching.  Is there anything I can do for this, or is it just something I need to work through?  I know "go see a doctor" is the right answer, but before I went throught the PITA of making an appointment, I figured I'd ask here.2) In trying to correct my eating (I grew up picky, and because my dad was also picky my mom catered to us both in order to avoid a fight, and as a result I eat almost no fruit and very few veggies), I've found that I like carrots and broccoli, but only with ranch dressing on them.  I've seen the packets in the store, and since it's generally better to make things yourself rather than buy the pre-made stuff, I wanted to try my hand at making dressing.  Does anyone have any tips?TIA for all your advice!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Married Bio
Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
BabyFruit Ticker
Pregnancy Blog

Re: Two totally unrelated questions

• Options
    I actually have a response for both your questions:1.  I seem to be prone to shin splints as well.  Ice helps, so does advil.  Make sure you add mileage slowly, no more than 10% per week.  And my  number one tip is to go to a running specialty shop and get them to make sure you are wearing the right shoes for you!  I used to buy different shoes (still nice ones, usually New Balance trail shoes), but not until I started buying a different brand that catered to my exact level of pronation did my shin splints really go away.  It makes a HUGE difference!2.  I love Hidden Valley light ranch (fat free is horrible, don't waste your money).  It has 45 calories in one tbsp, which I do not think is bad at all, so that's what I use.  I've never tried making my own.  Just limit the amount of ranch you use and you are probably fine with store-bought light.
  • Options
    I dont know much about shin splints so I am not even gonna attempt to answer.. but have you googled it? I make ranch at home by using 1 container of FF sour cream.. and one of the FF ranch packets that is in the dressing aisle.. It is so amazing on fresh veggies..
    Photobucket
  • Options
    What ways have you tried broccoli and carrots? Do you steam them or saute them? I really like broccoli with a little bit of parmesean cheese on it, I really like steamed carrots with a touch of soy sauce. I would suggest trying new things as opposed to only eating it with dressing.
  • Options
    KLG - I went to a running store in a city nearby and they had me run on a treadmill and videotaped my feet and looked at them and fitted me with shoes.  Perhaps that's why I'm only sore and not writhing on the floor in agony like I used to.  I'll try the Tylenol and ice though.  Thanks!Nebb - Broccoli I usually eat steamed, and have never tried it with cheese, but I do LOVE cheese.  Carrots when cooked I will eat however because I usually can't taste them.  I have sauted them with soy sauce and green beans before and they were excellent, and I love them as an added ingredient in soups.  It's really just the raw ones that I can only handle with dressing.  Sorry, should've been more specific.  :)Hwrd - Thanks for the recipe (of sorts).  I'll make sure to write that down and try it out.  How do you store it if you don't mind me asking?  Just in a tupperware container or do you funnel it in an old dressing bottle?
    Married Bio

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    Youre braver than me, I NEVER eat raw vegetables. I just hate hard food. I steam just about everything.
  • Options
    Definitely try using nonfat sour cream or even yogurt. If you're worried about it staying fresh in the fridge, buy the small containers of sour cream/yogurt and make smaller amounts at a time, saving part of your packets of Ranch seasoning for next time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Married Bio

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards