Getting in Shape
Options

stupid question re: water

OK this is going to sound stupid.  I know it's important to drink lots of water.  I chug as much as I can during the day.  However, do things like herbal tea and seltzer (sodium free and calorie free) count towards that?  I realize seltzer and tea are not the same as water but one's essentially carbonated water, the other is hot water with some herbs.  Not sure if I need to amp up my pure water intake or if these options also hydrate you...?

Re: stupid question re: water

• Options
    From what I understand, tea counts.  I'm not so sure about seltzer, cause the carbonation can lead to bloat. 
  • Options
    In my nutrition class in college I learned that all liquids count, water is just your best choice because there's nothing in it (caffiene, sugar, carbs, etc.).
  • Options
    Liquid is liquid. Milk, juice, fruit, other foods high in water content. They all count.
  • Options
    I agree with pp. As long as you avoid additives, sugar (real or fake), and so on you'll be fine. I aim for 3-4 liters a day and the rest is extra, so that can be coffee, tea, whatever.
  • Options
    pp are right, everything counts! Things that contain caffeine can actually counter act things though.  So as long as your tea is caffeine free, you're all set!
  • Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you - for example, for every 4oz cup of coffee you drink, you need to consume 8oz of water just to break even (this is in addition to the standard 8 glasses a day) - so drinking caffeinated tea is counter-active.  In my opinion, water is water - but tea, even herbal tea, juice, etc. is not. Carbonated water still hydrates you, but you'll feel bloated.If you don't enjoy drinking water, put some lemon or lime wedges in it - I find that helps a lot. Try not to resort to Crystal Lite, which is full of aspartame and other artificial ingredients.FYI - I am holistic nutritionist, and this is what I tell clients when they ask the water question.
  • Options
    I drink lemon lime seltzer like its going out of style. Seriously, like 2 liters of it a day, and it does count toward water. Regular water just gets so boring to me. Seltzer is sodium and calorie free, still good for you.
  • Options
    I try to drink 64 oz. of water everyday, but some of it I flavor with splenda or decaf p peppermint tea bags. LifeWater is also good for flavor without calories.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards