Getting in Shape
Options

lbs vs. inches - help please

Im becoming increasingly annoyed and Im not sure if I just suck or if my loss is normal or if there is something wrong with me (ie, hypothyroidism, which i am making my doc test me for today). I have been working out now for 5.5 months, I have increased my work out over that time from 3 times a week to 6 times a week and incorporating spinning and a personal trainer into my routine. In that time I have only lost 21lbs, but have also gone down 48.25 inches overall (neck to calves). I feel like I am losing lbs at an incredibly slow rate, and i feel like im making no progress what so ever. For those who have lost around that much, how long did it take to do that, did you notice a similar drop in inches? Does anyone know WHY im not losing lbs faster. Last year I lost 20lbs in 3.5 months, and its taking far longer this time. Any suggestions I may have not thought about. This ties in with my baby beluga post from friday. Im just trying to figure out if this is normal loss or if Im abnormally slow.

Re: lbs vs. inches - help please

• Options
    Have you measure your body fat %?
  • Options
    It was measured in my assessment at the gym in July and was absolute BS in my opinion. She must have screwed something up because she informed me i had lost 1% fat and LOST muscle mass, even though at that point I had lost almost 10lbs and around 20-25".
  • Options
    I didn't check the baby beluga post, but did you tell us how old you are?That makes a huge difference. You've been working out hardcore for a while now, and you're body may just want to stop. Plateaus happen to everyone. 21 pounds in 5.5 months seems pretty good to me- that's about a pound a week, which is healthy. Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist, who may be able to help you tweak your diet in a way the trainer can't. I'm sorry you're so frustrated, especially because you work so hard! I get frustrated but I'm a lazy baby.
  • Options
    Should of said measured* (typo). Sorry you did not get a good assessment.  I hope the doctorcan come up with some information that will be helpful.
  • Options
    Im 25 turning 26 in December. My doctor is very hard to understand at times and is very blunt - the last time I was there he basically told me I was fat and needed to lose weight (i was, but its not like I didnt realize it!). Im worried he will discount my concerns and tell me I need to eat better or something. I dont know how much better I can eat. I cant afford to see a nutritionist, all of my money is maxed out by getting a trainer. I will be paying that off until december unfortunately.
  • Options
    Oh my god, you're still a baby! (sorry, just turned the big 3-0 in May and still dealing with it). I will say that around turning 26, my body started to change dramatically. That's when it became really hard for me to lose weight, among other things. I totally understand not being able to afford a nutritionist, I can't even afford a trainer. . . or a gym.  Have you asked your trained about your diet? Maybe you need to play with the calories. . . I know you said she did a specific calculation to get to your goal, but was that recently? Maybe try mixing it up even more with your workouts.. . does your gym have a rock wall? Rock Climbing is supposed to be amazing. Not sure why I capitalized it, but I'm leaving it like that. Maybe you're working out TOO hardcore (spinning is hardcore!), and you should incorporate more fun, sporty stuff like raquetball or dancing.
  • Options
    Nebb-  this sucks so much.  I have a couple of friends who are dieticians.  I'm going to ask them about your situation and see if they have any suggestions.  It's definitely not the same as seeing a nutritionist in person, but maybe they'll have some ideas.  I'll get back to you.
  • Options
    Unfortunately everyone's body acts differently. We all have those friends who can eat whatever they want without gaining an ounce, yet as soon as I stop watching every thing I eat, I gain 5 pounds. It seems to me like you need to ease up on the workouts. If you too scared or love it too much to go back to 3 or 4 days, I would say find some kind of workout that's not as intense- yoga, pilates, something like that. I agree that it does sound like your body is rebelling- esp. if you can't eat all your calories!
  • Options
    When I dont work out, I have this idiotic notion I have gained weight, just by not working out. It makes me parinoid and I feel like im being lazy if I dont work out. I asked my trainer if I was working out too much and she said I was working out the right amount, so Im hoping its only what Im eating. I like to tell myself that either way im healthy, im doing good by my body and all that jazz.. but no loss really bums me out.
  • Options
    Ughh I would like to eco the age thing. I turned 25 and my weight sky-rocketed. I can't eat the way I used to no matter how much I exercise. Hopefully it's not medical but if it is at least you would have a reason! If it is not, it sounds like you need to shake up your metabolism. How much processed/artificial food is currently in your diet?  From what I remember you're doing a lot of the food things you are suppose to already.  When I hit a plateau I had to resort to calorie counting. It was annoying but as long as I ate 6 times a day I wasn't hungry and the weight poured off. I also removed artificial sweetners which was a big help. Are you eating whole wheat carbs? There is unfortunately a difference btwn wheat and whole wheat.  I still eat white carbs but no more than once a week (same with my old favorite Diet coke). Is it possible for you to take a nutrition course? i learned a lot about what 'types' of foods to eat at different times of the day to maximize energy and loss.Don't get discouraged your progress so far is AMAZING! All those inches? I'm super impressed.  Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    Thanks :) I dont eat a lot of processed foods - a whole wheat english muffin with pb for breakfast (or eggs), ff milk with protein powder, sometimes yogurt, sometimes cottage cheese, lots of fruits and vegetables grown locally. Soup or a sandwich (whole wheat/12grain bread) for lunch with fruit and other stuff. I occasionally have a fiber 1 bar if I happen to have bought them, which isnt often. Meat and veggies for dinner, possibly popcorn as a snack later, more protein. Im trying to lower my carbs - not do a "low carb" diet, but lower them a bit. I usually have around 130-170g of carbs a day based on a 1700ish cal diet.
  • Options
    I think you're doing great Nebb! I personally think slow and steady is the key to good and lasting weight loss! Don't focus on the lbs and inches lost in a certain amount of time, just focus on the fact that you are losing, or at least not gaining!
    TEST
  • Options
    Youre right lmark. I try so hard to tell myself im being healthy and this is the best way for me to make this a lifestyle instead of something i give up once I meet my goal. I always say that no loss is better than a gain, but its so hard to listen to myself when its directed at me! I need to listen to good advice like what im getting instead of worrying myself. Thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    I agree that you have made so much progress and you should give yourself a lot of credit for how far you have come.  That being said, I completely understand why you are frustrated. When I did P90x and was working out intensely for 90 days I lost only 4 pounds but a lot of inches and I dropped more weight when I started doing 4 days a week instead of 6...I don't know if it because it is giving my body more time to recover or if I was retaining water because I was constantly sore and building muscle during that time, but cutting back a little bit did help me.  Also, have you tried calorie cycling?  I have heard that it is great for breaking through plateaus because it keeps your body guessing if you get too used to a certain low caloric intake.
  • Options
    Well then... Doc man says that when I had blood work done in December, there was zero indication that there was anything wrong with my thyroid, no indication that I had anything wrong with me at all in fact. I had slightly high cholestrol, but that was it. When I voiced my concerns he told me I deserve a pat on the back because most of his patients that need ot lose, never do, so hes very pleased Ive lost this much. I should just keep doing what im diong and be patient. Im glad theres nothing wrong with me, but im not a patient person. I guess ill let this go and just try!
  • Options
    Nebb, I was going to create a similar post today and you beat me to it :)  My overall goal is 30 pounds, and since the first of the year I've lost 18, still have 12 to go. I CANNOT get past this plateau! I broke one plateau a month ago, lost two more pounds, and now I'm stuck again. I measured myself this morning though, just to see how I'm doing, and in the last three weeks I've lost another 2.25 inches from my entire body. So, to answer your question - what you're going through sounds similar to what I'm dealing with as well. I dunno if that's normal, but at least there is two of us.
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • Options
    there *are* two of us...
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better, I've only lost 7 lbs since June, so 7 lbs in 4 months.  I'd love to lose 20 in 5.5!  So, here's what happened to me.  I worked my @ss off for over 8 months, watching everything I ate, working out religiously, counting calories, etc.  I had gained back about 15lbs I lost previously, and I wanted it gone.  Well, I started a new job, and didn't have as much time to work out.  Stress from a friend situation is finally gone and I'm not quite as strict with calories- wah-lah!  3 lbs lost in 3 weeks.Moral of the story- maybe you need to give your body a short break.  Work out less, you don't need to give it up completely. 
  • Options
    hey, sorry i'm late to this, and what i have to say doesn't matter at this point cuz you've already seen the doctor-but it doesn't sound like you have a thyroid problem IMO (though i'm no doctor). my sister does have a thryoid problem though (they've changed her diagnosis, first it was grave's disease, now it's something i can't say or spell!) and i've seen how it has changed her. thyroid problems cause severe, severe fatigue. we actually thought she had mono at first, she was sleeping so much. years later, she still feels the same way, but takes supplements and alters her diet to try to help ease the fatigue. but she is literally so tired that doing excessive exercise would be very hard for her, because it would cause so much exhaustion. it isn't to say that she can't do it, but that it would cause her to be even more fatigued than the average person. i started skimming the posts, so i don't know if anyone asked-but are you on any medications? i know i've gained about 7lbs from starting lexapro.
  • Options
    None, just birth control, and ive been on it for 7-8 years now.
  • Options
    I think you have done a fantastic job. 1 lb a week is a great pace. If you are losing inches but not lbs, remember that if your are lifting weight, then you are increasing your muscle mass. And muscle weighs more then fat. I have gone down 2 sizes from a 10 to a 6 and I have only lost a total of 11 lbs. So it is weird... my friends can't believe me when I tell them I weigh 145 lbs at 5'8'', cause I am a size 6. 1700 calories is perfect for losing weight, but you have to make sure you are burning 2000 a day to lose 1 lb a week. It is pretty simple math. 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat. So each week you need to burn 3500 more calories then you take in. If you just do cardio you can do this. Adding weight training to the mix, will make your body lose fat but create muscle. Do you sit at a desk all day? I thought I was burning 2000+ a day, but I came to find out, I was very stationary and was barely buring 1800. I got one of those Body Bugg like the people in the Biggest Loser wear, and it opened my eyes to the fact that I need to get up and move around more. they run like $250. but a less expensive option is to get a pedometer. You will need to wear it all day long, and you will need to take 10,000 steps a day to maintain your weight and 12,000+ to lose weight. I wore one for 6 months before I upgraded to the body bugg and it was awesome at keeping me honest. I would march in place as I brushed my teeth just to get more steps in. Sorry this was so long. Be totally happy with ur progress, 21 lbs is AWESOME!!! I think you are doing great!
  • Options
    Thanks dana, your results  sound like mine, ive gone from a size 18 to a 14. I work at an office, but I get up and walk around the office a lot, its also why I feel the need to work out so often, to compensate for sitting all day. I really want a heart rate monitor, but with christmas coming up my funds are all directed into that, so Im probably just going to ask for one for christmas. I have a lot of work out paraphernalia thats going to be asked for (spinning/biking shoes, bike shorts, new sports bras, workout clothes, heart rate monitor). I feel like I need to just be thankful for the losses ive had instead of knocking myself for not having more. Sorry if I seem like im complaining about what ive accomplished, its just frustrating when youre as impatient as I am.
  • Options
    Wow, if you've lost 21 pounds but have gone from an 18 to 14, that's really great. When I went from an 18 to 14, it was a 40 pound difference! That means you must have gained a TON of muscle mass in order to lose that many inches. Going from a 14 to a 10 was another 20 lbs for me, and now I'm working on getting down to an 8 before the big day in a little over a month. We'll see :) I do want to suggest that you use that pool you have access to. And, while swimming is good, I have also taught water aerobics for 4 years, and you can get a REALLY good workout in if you choose to do it. I have lots of exercises and descriptions of how to do them if you would like - just let me know. And what everyone was saying about switching it up with your work-outs was definitely true. When I lost weight the easiest and the best, I was getting up in the morning, rowing in a scull for 30 minutes (rowing machine works almost as well), then going to work and teaching water aerobics for an hour (including stretching before and after, 20-25 minutes of cardio, and 20 minutes of strength training), and THEN I was leading either a line dance class for an hour or going for a 30 minute power walk on the beach. Granted, this was a bit of a luxury because I was an activities manager and it was all part of my job, but it worked really well to switch up the exercise like that.  I went from a 16 to a 12 in 3 months!So keep fighting the good fight - your body can't hold this plateau forever. And you really are doing so great - inches are way more important than pounds in the end. I mean, let's face it - when it comes to fitting in the dress, the inches are the only things that matter. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hey Nebb, You are doing great. I know you must know this, but muscle uses less space in the body than fat. Thus the huge loss in inches, and the reducton in dress size. You are bulding muscle, and that's good. 5 lbs of muscle alone burns about a pound of calories per week. (per BURN THE FAT guy, Tom Venuto) I understand your frustration, I as well am very impatient. 5 months for me, and 4.2 lbs per month. Slow and steady wins the race friend!!! Perhaps just once give yourself what I call a "good feed". My points are so low on WW (only18 per day) that I am so hungry sometimes I just eat more food, and guess what? I always see a good loss the next week. It's that calorie mixing thing (can't remember what it's called) so I do that at least once a week. Not a free day. A good feed is one meal with more food, healthy choices. You are NOT abnormally slow. You are losing at a healthy rate. It feels slow because you are not seeing lbs lost on the scale. Success is lost inches, and reduction in clothing size as well as lbs lost on the scale. Keep up the great work, you are really doing great!    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards