Getting in Shape
Options

Spaghetti Squash

I've heard several people talk about spaghetti squash on her and FI and I finally tried it for the first time last night. It was a little different than I expected (more firm than I thought), but it was good. We had it with pasta sauce, but can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would be good with it.Anyone care to share their favorite way to eat it? Thanks!
imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Spaghetti Squash

• Options
    some ladies i used to work with ate it a lot. they weren't entirely health conscious (this was in East TN, where everything is cooked in lard and butter) but a common way was to just steam it and then add a little butter and parmesan cheese. you could probably do a little olive oil instead of the butter and if you go light on the parmesan it would be a good side dish to chicken and vegetables or something. HTH
  • Options
    I got this recipe off a website a while back...it was really good: 1 large spaghetti squash 1/2 cup low-salt chicken or vegetable broth 1 sweet red bell pepper, diced 1 cup zucchini or yellow crookneck summer squash, chopped 1 cup sliced mushrooms 1/4 cup green onion, sliced 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 clove garlic, minced 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 medium tomato, chopped 1/4 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded Cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down in a glass baking dish and add 1/2 inch of water. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until fork tender. Place squash onto rack to allow excess water to drain and cool. In the meantime, heat chicken broth to simmering. Add bell pepper and cook until it just begins to soften. Add summer squash, mushrooms, onion, herbs, garlic, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and stir in tomato. Shred spaghetti squash by scrapping inside with a fork and divide among 4 plates. Top with vegetable sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Makes 4 Servings Serving Size: 12 ounces Nutrients per serving: Calories: 70 Total fat: 1 gram Saturated fat: less than 1 gram Cholesterol: 1 mg Sodium: 126 mg Carbohydrate: 11 grams Protein: 5 grams Dietary fiber: 2 grams
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards