Getting in Shape
Options

favorite ff substitutes?

Hello! I'm looking for the best substitutions for cheese and cream cheese. Are there any fat free or light versions that you love? The ones I've tried have seemed to be plastic-y tasting, as well as in texture. I'm to the point where I'd rather just spend my ww points on the real stuff than make the recipes with the ff versions. Also, if there are any other food substitution suggestions, they are welcome!! TIA!

Re: favorite ff substitutes?

• Options
    FI likes the weight watchers brand for cheese.  I'm not on weight watchers but I'd rather use my fat on something like olive oil to cook with than a piece of cheese.  We don't eat cream cheese sorry I wasn't more help.
  • Options
    I really like the Weight Watchers cream cheese. I don't think it's fat free, but it is definitely low in fat, and it's whipped, so it doesn't have that bad texture. I got fat free Philadelphia cream cheese last week, and it just had an off texture. I can't really explain it though..
    TEST
  • Options
    Try using 2% cheese or reduced fat cream cheese.
  • Options
    Try Neufchatel for a cream cheese substitute, it's a German type cream chesse with 2/3 less fat and just as much flavor.  As for cheese, I personally just buy really good, tasty cheese and then don't eat as much.  Try a Spanish Manchego or really good savory feta.
  • Options
    As far as dairy goes, I find low-fat to be much, much better than fat-free. However, in my personal eating, I usually either just skip the cheese or plan accordingly and indulge in the real stuff.
  • Options
    I really like Cabot 50% less fat cheese. I've found it mostly at Sam's Club.
  • Options
    I usually use 2% cheese. Either Kraft or store brand. Also the low fat Cream Cheese is good. I can't really tell the difference. Usually to me the completely FF stuff tastes funny.
  • Options
    I'm to the point where I'd rather just spend my ww points on the real stuff than make the recipes with the ff versions You should. Low-fat dairy products are very bad for you. I highly recommend all Organic Valley dairy products (the full fat versions). They're flavorful, free off gross stuff (chemicals, hormones, etc.) and are very, very good for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Options
    I almost never buy the ff version if a light version is available.  Try neufchatal (or however you spell it) cheese, it's like 90% as good as regular cream cheese and has less fat.  And I buy 2% milk cheese.  Less fat, fewer calories, and I can't taste a difference at all.
  • Options
    I don't substitute cheese. It's one of those things that I would rather just save my points for and have the good stuff. Same with butter... I never substitute it... margarine is gross when you think about it. It doesn't melt, and fruit flies, which swarm everything, won't go near it (we get fruit flies on our organic fruit sometimes). That should tell you something. Back to the cheese, I don't usually eat cheese on things, but rather as a snack in itself... in which case I just portion out 1 ounce of a good, regular (not ff or lf) cheese. If you like swiss and have a Costco, though, I do like their Jarlsberg cheese slices. It's something like 1/3 less fat of swiss, but tastes the same to me.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards