Getting in Shape
Options

caffeine fix...

I am a Mountain Dew addict! I want to quit drinking it cause I know damn well how bad it is for me and what it's doing to my kidney's. I feel like the soda might also have something to do with the plateau I've been on for about a month. I need to find something to take it's place. I work 12 hour days and switch to night shift every other month so having energy is a big issue! Anyone have any ideas for a substitute???? TIA!

Re: caffeine fix...

• Options
    I would recommend water.  At first you will feel like crap but once the caffine gets out of your system you will have more energy.  It won't be that high and low feeling caffine gives you.
  • Options
    Ditto what angelandlibby said.  Just ditch it.  If you still need a caffeine fix try green tea.  Or a coffee (just one) with milk.I used to drink a crap ton of coffee a day and switched to one travel mug in the mornings, then water for the rest of the day, and I don't get the super tired crash at 3pm anymore.  Also, try an apple!  I remember hearing that an apple will wake you up better than a cup of joe.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with pp. Apples and water definitely help. If you can limit yourself to one cup/mug/travel mug/glass of some kind of caffeinated beverage in the mornings, you'll be better off. You might also look into slowly weaning yourself off of caffeine. It really all depends on how intense and how long you want to have the headaches. If you make a clean cut, you'll have powerful headaches for about 3 days to a week. If you slowly wean yourself, you'll have light headaches for longer. I'm a caffiene addict as well (drinking my pumpkin spice latte right now), but I usually only have one travel mug of coffee in the morning, if at all.
  • Options
    I drink tea- mostly herbal.  Its getting water in with some naturally occurring antioxidants.  Does the trick
  • Options
    I just to be hooked on Diet Coke and decided about a month ago to just stop.  I had a headache for two days and since then have felt great!  I have way more energy, sleep better, focus better-everything.  I'd just go cold turkey!
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for your advice. I already do drink a lot of water it's just the can a day I have at work. I'll have to give the green tea a try though. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Let's be honest, you're a caffeine and sugar addict ;)The sugar is easy... if you get bored with plain ol' water, throw in a Crystal Light or mix it with Kool-Aid (made with Splenda of course!)The caffeine is another story, and it depends on what you want to do. Are you trying to eliminate it from your diet? If so, keep in mind a withdrawal symptom of caffeine (yes, you will experience withdrawals because it is a "drug") is headaches. It'll usually go away in a few days but it's annoying. If you want to keep caffeine in your diet, switch to caffeinated tea in the morning. You'll still get the hydration you need (without all the sugar) and get that little jump start in the morning. Good luck :)
  • Options
    p.s. just noticed... we are getting married the same date :)yay for may 22nd girls :D
  • Options
    you're right I am a sugar addict! haha I'm usually fine with the soda thing until I get into work...12 hour shifts kills me, especially when we switch to night shift. (monday :-() I'm going to give the green tea a shot. Yay for May 22!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards