Getting in Shape
Options

New to the Board- Hello! Plus, how so I motivate FH to work out?

Hi Everyone!I'm new to this board, so quick intro post:My name's Amy, I'm a student and I work in an oncology lab on campus.  Six years ago, I was in a riding accident- the horse I was training fell on me- and I gained over a hundred pounds during my first two years of recovery.  I broke my femur, tore a bunch of ligaments in my shoulder and neck, broke a couple ribs, and had a head injury (my helmet broke upon impact, so I'm super glad I was wearing one and have become the local helmet Nazi!).  Before the accident I was always in great shape, so I think I'm lucky because I know how great it feels to be really fit and I know how to stay that way once I get there.  The hardest part for me was learning to go slow and change my expectations- I used to run 5 miles a day, and now I'm really happy when I finish 2 miles; I used to swim an hour three days a week, and now it kills my shoulder to be in the pool so I do weights instead; and I never ate sugar before my fall and now I love candy, so I'm trying not to eat so much of it :-)I've done 5+ years of physical therapy and worked with a nutritionist on and off my whole life (as an athlete trying to make the most of my calories, and then as someone trying to lose weight and keep it off) so I have a good idea of how to reach my goals, but staying motivated is really hard!  Plus, I used to eat ridiculously healthy- all raw veggies and lean proteins, fruit for dessert and ice cream on weekends, only whole-grain high-fiber carbs, and no processed sugar- and now I've become a foodie and I want to keep eating "real" food!My fiance could also use to lose some weight, but I don't know how to motivate him.  I'm super competitive when it comes to working out and since he's never done anything in a gym before I don't want to put that kind of pressure on him.  He shattered his ankle falling off the edge of a trail while hiking and gained almost as much weight as I did (my cooking obsession certainly didn't help), and I know his ankle would hurt less if he was putting less weight on it/ lost some weight.  Any ideas?
imageimageAnniversary

Re: New to the Board- Hello! Plus, how so I motivate FH to work out?

• Options
    Both of you need to talk to a doc and/or PT to see what is going to be good/safe for both of you, both as "new" to the world of regular/gym exercise, as well as because of your respective injuries. Second, start tracking everything you eat. You'd probably be surprised what you put in your mouth in a day... I know I was. Many of us use Weight Watchers (WW), and I personally think that's the best way to go... but I'm also just a wee bit biased : ). It has taught me a lot, though, (and I used to be like you, a healthy eater) and the weekly weigh-ins keep me accountable. Others use things like thedailyplate.com or sparkpeople.com. But either way, tracking is key. Lastly, we're always here for support and advice, so ask if you need anything!
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We've both seen PTs (I have extensively, like I said, over 5 years with one!) and doctors so we're good there :-)  I would like him to go back and do some more PT so he can learn how to keep going on his own as he gets stronger, but he's very stubborn and our health insurance doesn't cover it :-(Oh man, I kept a diet diary for a few years- it's amazing how much crap I ate and never gave a second thought to!  I've gotten better about eating- I lost 55 lbs last year- but it's still hard to not eat the cookies at work!Do the weekly weigh-ins really help you and don't discourage you?  I did weekly weigh-ins for a while, but because I was obsessive about my weight before the accident it quickly turned into another way to beat myself up about how heavy I am!  I only weight myself once a month now, and I got rid of my scale.
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    I meant see a doc or PT to get on a specific exercise program going (i.e. something you can do at the gym), so that FI could be on board, too, with a specific list of exercises, and a specific goal (this is the kind of structure that my FI would need). If his insurance won't cover it, maybe shell out the money for a one time visit with a personal trainer (again, to get a specific plan to get him motivated). The weigh-ins really do help keep me on track. During the week, when I think about cheating, I think about the fact that I still have to weigh-in, and that I don't want to have to see that show up on the scale. With that said, though, I have heard that some people get discouraged weighing in weekly, so it all depends on the person.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Use that cooking obsession! I've had a lot of fun trying out new recipes and trying different ideas to make my favorite recipes better for Fi and I. I'm also trying a bunch of new ingredients and it's actually made me enjoy cooking more :) I'm sorry to hear about your accident but you're in the right place, welcome!
  • Options
    Ah, VitaLuna, that makes sense!Lizziemoopsc- do you have a good recipe resource?  What sorts of new ingredients do you like to use?
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    I have all of the online WW tools and they have great recipe ideas that I keep track of. I try to print a new one out every day so that I'm making my own recipe book. Today I'm trying Thai carrot soup (made with tofu and curry :-P) and I'm excited about it! Also, I would suggest looking at regular recipes and seeing what you can switch out- you can do ff or tofu for a lot of the dairy, brown rice for white, etc. You get the idea. I've had a great time trying to figure out how to make my favorite dishes healthier, and there are actually some that I prefer healthier. When I do chicken fajitas I don't even miss the oil or butter. HTH!
  • Options
    Welcome! Congrats on the loss so far, and I'm sorry you've had such a tough time these past few years. We try to rock at support, so use us! I just wanna let you know, nefarious is my fav word in the dictionary! Well, next to effervescent. So I already really like you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards