Getting in Shape
Options

restaurant calorie counts....doubtful?

Well Last week i went to this fairly new restaurant that opened about a year ago where I live. They have a "living well" menu that claims that every entree/ salad under it is 490 calories or below....which i find strange anyway because 490? really? not 500? Im sure they do that since it sounds less than the big 500?
Anyway, I ordered this salad called the tuna sierra salad. Its salad greens topped with seared ahi tuna pieces, feta cheese, honey roasted pecan pieces, crispy chow mein noodles and lime vinagrette. (sp?) And they claim its only 490 calories. Well the salad tasted AWESOME but i seriously doubt its under 490 calories considering it has both cheese, nuts AND dressing on it. And its a good sized salad, not some wimpy thing.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation where you ordered a "low cal" entree and you know it definitely was more calories than they claim?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: restaurant calorie counts....doubtful?

• Options
    One of the things I go by is if it seems to good to be true it probably is. But you also have to consider is that per serving? What do they consider a serving? Does that include the dressing or is the dressing seperate?

You can always try to calculate the calories on your own and see how similar it really is and if it is in fact kind of close?
    Jolie on the Run Wedding Countdown Ticker
    132 Invited image
    38 Can't wait to party image
    0 Don't like fun image
    94 ? image
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Did it say anything about serving sizes?  Maybe the salad was 2 servings?

Then again, that sounds about right to me, calorie wise, for that salad.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    megilbmegilb member
    First Comment

The serving is just one....So the calorie count would be for the whole thing. Raynes...it sounds right to you? I though feta and pecans would totally blow the cal count out the window of 490 cals.....maybe im wrong?

• Options
    Calorie-wise that sounds right. Fat-gram wise, it might have been a bit heavy. Unless the dressing was oil-free. And even then, the nuts, cheese and noodles probably had quite a bit of fat all together.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I feel that way about the WW menu at Applebee's.  Also, their entrees below 550 calories.  My skepticism is furthered by the fact that they won't release ANY of their nutritionals.  My steamed veggies tasted like they were cooked in butter the last time I ordered a meal there!
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    megilbmegilb member
    First Comment
    jholbel...I feel the same with applebees WW menu...I ordered the quesadillas before, and while they tasted great it seemed too good to be true....and ive also ordered a sandwich with veggies and mine tasted reallly buttery too. I usually will request to have them made w/o butter just in case....The thing is....do you really think restaurant chefs in all their busyness take the time to stop and say...."wait....this entree is a low-cal one so lemme but a little less cheese on it....or steam up some butter free veggies..."? I hope they do, but when its the dinner time rush I can see how itd be easy to dish up some already made steamed veggies w/ butter...you know what i Mean?

p.s....i have imagen photography doing my wedding too! Nathan is awesome!!!
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Well, if it uses "normal" serving sizes then it would be:

Salad greens - 10 cals
    Ahi Tuna - 140 cals
    Feta cheese - 80 cals
    honey roasted pecan pieces - 40 cals / Tbsp, soo, lets say 80 cals
    crispy chow mein noodles - 130 cals
    lime vinagrette - 100 cals/ Tbsp

is 540 calories, and I estimated somethings high.

So, yeah, I'd say it's about right!  Personally, I would have removed the chow mein noodles.  Those are empty calories.  Everything else is pretty nutritional.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    megilbmegilb member
    First Comment
    Thanks Raynes!!!!!
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_restaurant-calorie-countsdoubtful?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:126c8b86-bab7-4b98-87ff-00031edc5afbPost:12bd617e-1a46-47ec-9796-aa5542a95709">Re: restaurant calorie counts....doubtful?</a>:
    [QUOTE]jholbel...I feel the same with applebees WW menu...I ordered the quesadillas before, and while they tasted great it seemed too good to be true....and ive also ordered a sandwich with veggies and mine tasted reallly buttery too. I usually will request to have them made w/o butter just in case....The thing is....do you really think restaurant chefs in all their busyness take the time to stop and say...."wait....this entree is a low-cal one so lemme but a little less cheese on it....or steam up some butter free veggies..."? I hope they do, but when its the dinner time rush I can see how itd be easy to dish up some already made steamed veggies w/ butter...you know what i Mean? <strong>p.s....i have imagen photography doing my wedding too! Nathan is awesome!!!</strong>
    Posted by megilb[/QUOTE]

Was this part for me??? 
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    megilbmegilb member
    First Comment
    yes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards