Getting in Shape
Options

Multi-Vitamin Recs?

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, I went back a few pages and didn't see anything.

I used to take One a Day Weight Smart but I wasn't great about remembering to take it after I stopped taking BC. I stopped drinking diet soda about 3 months ago so I really don't take in any caffeine. Recently when I started taking the vitamins again I got super sick to my stomach, I think because they contain caffeine. 

So, I am looking for a different Multi vitamin and any recommendations about what other vitamins you guys take. I do already take calcium/vitamin D at the recommended doses and also biotin to help strengthen my hair/nails. TIA

Re: Multi-Vitamin Recs?

• Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin - not because im TTC, but because ive heard good things for hair and nails, skin and other things from taking them. I just take the drugstore brand, as it is cheaper, but it has the exact same levels for vitamines and minerals that the brand name does!
  • Options
    I will definitely look into prenatals, thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Yeah, any multi greared towards women is a pretty good bet, and yes, ignore the "energy" ones, you don't need the caffeine ones.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I take one-a-day for women & I like it. No bad side effects for me so far.
  • Options
    I have a terrible gag reflex and hate swallowing pills, especially when they are as big as most vitamins. SO, I act like a 5 year old and take 2 Flinstone's vitamins everyday. I was comparing labels to the new OneADay adult gummies, and they are exactly the same. It makes me feel a little better about taking children's vitamins...
    TEST
  • Options
    According to this article, taking prenatals if not pregnant or TTC can actually do you more harm than good:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prenatal-vitamins/AN01665

I take adult gummies, and they don't upset my stomach at all. Love them!

• Options
    Ive been taking my prenatals for a year now and have had no health issues to speak of, so I dont really know what else to say.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_multi-vitamin-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1449c1c0-1d83-437d-a05d-6cbfd1626330Post:9b7bca44-8707-4d16-b7a1-5cecf5b73823">Re: Multi-Vitamin Recs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take one-a-day for women & I like it. No bad side effects for me so far.
    Posted by klutes8[/QUOTE]
    <font class="Apple-style-span" color="#993366">
    </font><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#993366">I do too, but it does upset my stomach if I don't take it after eating - maybe that's your problem, too, if you're taking yours on an empty stomach.</font></div>
  • Options
    The reason you are sick when you take them is because most multi vitamins do mega dosing and the vitamins aren't what's called bio-available.

I take New Chapter Organics (they have a pre-natal and a hair and hails formula). I take the Everyday Woman formula. I take three  a day. Two in the AM and one in the evening (although I think they have one dose pills) and I take them on an empty stomach and I'm fine.
  • Options
    yeah desertsun, that article doesn't really say anything.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • Options
    BTW, I see you are in Idaho. If you have a super supplements in your area (I know there is one in Coeur 'D Alene), they usually rotate and have good sales at almost cost on New Chapter every few months. I've also taken rainbow light. I generally stock up on NC when they are on sale but RL is good too.
  • Options
    If people want to take prenatals, that is their choice.

The article does point out that prenatals do not supply sufficient calcium, and supply more folic acid and iron than most women need, which can cause, if not serious problems, at least unpleasant effects like constipation. And prenatals have not been proven to help with hair or nails.

It doesn't hurt to add more information to conversations like these, so that people can know more and make the best decision for themselves based on a variety of information sources.

• Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I was definitely taking them with meals, and I never had a problem with these particular vitamins before I stopped my regular intake of caffeine, so I'm pretty sure that was the problem. I honestly had never noticed that they had caffeine in them until my stomach felt unsettled after I took them and I read the tiny fine print. 

Cat, thanks for the suggestion on that store, I'll have to look into it. 

• Options
    "If you rely on prenatal vitamins to meet your calcium needs, you likely won't get enough", sure but that could be said for many vitamins and minerals that you require depending on what pill you choose to take for it. I should HOPE that people are naturally ingesting calcium through the food they eat so it isnt as big of an issue. For those who are vegan or vegetarian, surely in making that choice they also educated themselves on the nutrients they need to survive and have looked into the daily level but I think for a person who eats a normal balanced diet, they end up getting more than enough calcium.

In regards to the side effects such as constipation, high levels of protein in your diet can do the same. If you eat a high fiber diet it normally works itself out. I have been both taking a prenatal and high protein diet and add fiber to my tea at night in addition to eating foods with lots of fiber, I have found the specific amount I need to be happy and it works for me.

Everything regarding weight loss and good health is a science, what works for one person will not necessarily work for the next. You need to play with things to find what works for you - if you find it isnt working, you tweek it to find something that does.
  • Options
    Hey, whatever works for you, Nebb. I'm not criticizing your choice. Just pointing out another perspective on why what works for you might not work for others -- I agree that people should do their research, consult their doctors, and do what works for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards