Getting in Shape
Options

I need to loose weight fast! Please help!

Hey everyone! I got engaged New Years 2010 and I am getting married in July. I am freaking out because I want to loose at least 15lbs. I am personally not happy with my current weight. I have never really had to diet before, I used to be a stick, but I guess as I have gotten older and more comfortable with my future husband I have put on some pounds. All of my clothes are tight and I just don't feel confident in myself, and I want to be confident on my wedding day. Does anyone have any suggestions? I got to the gym about 2-3 times a week for about 45 minutes. Do you think that is enough?? Thank you :)

MBH

Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help!

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    No, I dont, but its a start.

I think what you need to do is start counting calories, and stick to it. Drink lots of water (cut out pop, juice, and sugary drinks - you dont need them). Increase your fiber and protein intake, so that you stay fuller longer. Do a mix of cardio (atleast 30 minutes) and strength training. Make sure you are working out as hard as you can to get the most out of your time there, none of this reading on the treadmill going at a slow pace junk I see people doing.
  • Options
    It depends on what you're doing during those 45 min.  I dropped 40lbs in about 7 months through only doing weights and cutting out carbs.  I'm a guy btw.

You can shed weight very quickly through HIT training, like running intervals.  Combine that with weight training to help maintain muscle mass so your metabolism stays fueled.  Make sure you take in enough protein (approx 0.5grams per lbs of body weight).  Cut out "white stuff" like sugar, refined flour, etc.  Make sure you stay above starvation levels for calories or it'll become very hard to lose weight at all.  I also recomend multiple small meals during the day. 

It's mostly about diet and also the intensity of your exercise.  Calories in versus calories out and all that.  And I can't stress the effectiveness of weight training.  A lot of women, my fiance included, are afraid of "getting too big."  Don't worry, it's not that easy and you won't get accidently huge.  If it were that easy every guy in the gym would look like a super hero.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-loose-weight-fast-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1564fdf5-2e3a-407b-963d-636a70b4983ePost:fd4c54b8-0b1d-4fd2-9437-f80e4e95d48d">Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on what you're doing during those 45 min.  I dropped 40lbs in about 7 months through only doing weights and cutting out carbs.  I'm a guy btw. You can shed weight very quickly through HIT training, like running intervals.  Combine that with weight training to help maintain muscle mass so your metabolism stays fueled.  Make sure you take in enough protein (approx 0.5grams per lbs of body weight).  Cut out "white stuff" like sugar, refined flour, etc.  Make sure you stay above starvation levels for calories or it'll become very hard to lose weight at all.  I also recomend multiple small meals during the day.  It's mostly about diet and also the intensity of your exercise.  Calories in versus calories out and all that.  And I can't stress the effectiveness of weight training.  A lot of women, my fiance included, are afraid of "getting too big."  Don't worry, it's not that easy and you won't get accidently huge.  If it were that easy every guy in the gym would look like a super hero.
    Posted by obi_wan_quixote[/QUOTE]
    Ooooh I like you. Stick around please.
  • Options
    You're getting married this July?  Soooo, at least 8 weeks from now.  At a healthy rate of 2 lbs per week, 15 lbs is doable by July, but you have to be fully committed.

Check out a site like Sparkpeople or The Daily Plate (Livestrong.com) and figure out how many calories you should be eating to lose 2 lbs per week.  Then, stick to that number, religously, and the weight will come off.  But make sure you are eating good quality food, not 100 cal snack packs.

As Nebb said, get a good mix of cardio (google HIIT for one idea).  Also, if you're not already, start incorporating strength training.  More muslce means a higher resting metabolic rate, which translates into more calories burned.  And besides, muscles are sexy.

Good luck and congrats!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-loose-weight-fast-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1564fdf5-2e3a-407b-963d-636a70b4983ePost:d099ff37-3c30-41af-ab94-3a21c52bf7f0">Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help! : Ooooh I like you. Stick around please.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Ditto!!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-loose-weight-fast-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1564fdf5-2e3a-407b-963d-636a70b4983ePost:a99c1812-7c30-4f5e-9f3b-09328a88c427">Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, I dont, but its a start. I think what you need to do is start counting calories, and stick to it. Drink lots of water (cut out pop, juice, and sugary drinks - you dont need them). Increase your fiber and protein intake, so that you stay fuller longer. Do a mix of cardio (atleast 30 minutes) and strength training. Make sure you are working out as hard as you can to get the most out of your time there, <strong>none of this reading on the treadmill going at a slow pace junk I see people doing.</strong>
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>That made me laugh, mostly because I hate it when I want to go for a run and all of the 15 treadmills are being used by people who are walking and reading magazines or novels...</div><div>
    </div><div>OP: Nebb mentioned drinking lots of water...I would definitely say to monitor your 'liquid calories'...when I decided to lose weight I gave up coffee (completely) and took up green tea for my caffeine intake...but I also cut out my chai lattes as much as possible because they are 200 calories I don't need really...and what most people don't realize is that your body burns calories processing water, so the more you drink, the more calories you burn. I didn't know this until I was doing a weight loss program at the gym and they told me to double my water intake...I had to make more trips to the washroom but my body got used to it eventually.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-loose-weight-fast-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1564fdf5-2e3a-407b-963d-636a70b4983ePost:a99c1812-7c30-4f5e-9f3b-09328a88c427">Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, I dont, but its a start. I think what you need to do is start counting calories, and stick to it. Drink lots of water (cut out pop, juice, and sugary drinks - you dont need them). Increase your fiber and protein intake, so that you stay fuller longer. Do a mix of cardio (atleast 30 minutes) and strength training. Make sure you are working out as hard as you can to get the most out of your time there, <strong>none of this reading on the treadmill going at a slow pace junk I see people doing.</strong>
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I seriously saw a woman with sweat pants, a t-shirt, and a hoodie get on a treadmill the other day (with a bigass bag from Target, WTF?) walk at 2.5 for about 3.5 minutes, get off and leave. AND she had been waiting in line to use a treadmill (it was busy). I was like, "Uh, she walked further to get TO the gym than she walked while at the gym."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-loose-weight-fast-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1564fdf5-2e3a-407b-963d-636a70b4983ePost:7338b9cc-bdde-4e46-b251-57e81447ce9e">Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need to loose weight fast! Please help! : I seriously saw a woman with sweat pants, a t-shirt, and a hoodie get on a treadmill the other day (with a bigass bag from Target, WTF?) walk at 2.5 for about 3.5 minutes, get off and leave. AND she had been waiting in line to use a treadmill (it was busy). I was like, "Uh, she walked further to get TO the gym than she walked while at the gym."
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]
    I love these people. I think they do it just so they can say "I went to the gym today!" later on. I noticed a girl come in the other day, she did one set of sit ups, used another ab machine, walked over and looked at some magazines and went home. That wasnt as bad as the woman sitting on a recumbent bike last week, not pedalling, watching Nanny Mcphee for 20 minutes.
  • Options
    How about the ones on their cell phones...talking LOUDLY might I add! UGHHHH!!!
    Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards