Getting in Shape
Options

Picky Eater

Hey guys, new to this board, but have been in the NEY board, and my intros there. Just wondering if there are any picky eaters out there with tips for eating right. I am one of the pickiest around and its getting to be on my nerves because I'd really like to eat better.

examples:
love fruit, do not like vegetables. (only corn)
don't like salad, have tried lettuce many times and just can't seem to like it.
don't like fish of any sort.

any ideas?
friends tv show funy

Re: Picky Eater

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My only suggestion is to keep trying new things. 

I loathe iceberg lettuce.  To me, it's just a waste of space.  It's like chewing on water.  But, I LOVE baby spinach and mixed field greens. 

Try new things!

Also, try new ways to cook things.  I generally do not like zucchini, but I really enjoy it grilled to tender crisp on the BBQ.

Most things I don't like to eat are because I hated the way my parents made them.  I would NEVER eat steak because my dad used to cook it to shoe leather when I was a kid.  Now I know the awesomeness that is a medium rare top quality slab of beef cooked over a flame.  Mushy, overcooked asparagus?  Nasty.  Tender crisp roasted or BBQ'd asparagus topped with fresh grated parm?  Heaven in my mouth.

Challenge yourself to try new things.  Vegetables are a HUGE part of a healthy diet, so it's in your body's best interest to find some you like!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight! I never really thought of trying food cooked in a differnt way. I am starting to open up a bit more to new foods, Its just really hard to me to try new things. Thanks for the Advice!
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    Ditto Raynes! Couldn't have said it better! :)
    ~* Diana *~ ~* October 9, 2010 *~

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    The ways I like cooking veggies, that I find make them the most tasty, are steaming, roasting and grilling.

And always to only tender-crisp (unless, it's, like potatoes).  I usually drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil on top (for grilling or roasting) and then sprinkle some kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.

For steaming, I just follow the instructions on the bag, and usually use the microwave.  One of my favourite frozen veggie mixes is one with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  It comes out so sweet tasting and delicious.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also agree with trying ways of cooking them differently, but also looking at trying the in-season vegetables. I had never liked asparagus (and my S/O is an incredible cook), but they were one of the only in-season local vegetables a few months back, so I decided to try them again. The difference was incredible.
  • Options

FI was a pretty picky eater, no fish, no whole grains, etc. I asked him to at least try everything once and now he eats EVERYTHING! He only eats whole wheat bread, he loves avocados and fresh salsa on everything, loves almost all fish, etc.

The way I think about it, is you might as well try it, it won't kill you. I hate the way tomatoes taste, but every few months, I take a bite to see if anything's changed.

August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_picky-eater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:2cef434b-3591-4b7e-b54d-941c03118292Post:3ed19b9f-23a5-43ba-a031-db3441601e37">Re: Picky Eater</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI was a pretty picky eater, no fish, no whole grains, etc. I asked him to at least try everything once and now he eats EVERYTHING! He only eats whole wheat bread, he loves avocados and fresh salsa on everything, loves almost all fish, etc. The way I think about it, is you might as well try it, it won't kill you. I hate the way tomatoes taste, <strong>but every few months, I take a bite to see if anything's changed.
    </strong>Posted by jonchrissy[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing every year with watermelon. Nothing's changed in the past 10 years, but hey... it could.
  • Options
    For salad, you might consider trying it without dressing. I used to HATE salad (as a kid all the way through college). Then I realized I just hated all dressing - for some reason it is very bitter to me. Now I love eating spinach salads with tomatoes. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the PP but just wanted to tell you I LOVE the song that's in your siggy, FI and I are using it for our parents to walk down the aisle to because it reminds us of them.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • Options
    haha thanks it is a great song!

and thanks for all the ideas, I am definately going to be trying some of them!
    friends tv show funy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards