Getting in Shape

new to the board and need some adivce.

Ok so i am new to the board and was wondering about some pointers. I wanna lose 100lbs. yes you heard me correctly 100lbs. I'm 5'7 and weigh 293 and a size 18. I've never told my real weight till now, so feel special! (lol) anyway, my wedding date is 14 months away. I was wondering if i could get any pointers to get my butt in shape, what worked for yall and what hasnt. Thanks ladies! I've right now just done some walking and really started hitting up veggies/fruits hard core.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: new to the board and need some adivce.

• I find that watching what I eat (aka counting calories) helps me tremendously!  I use www.fitday.com to log all of my food and activities, but there are a lot of other web sites that have been recommended here as well - www.sparkpeople.com, www.livestrong.com, www.dailyplate.com, etc. :)

I also have found that hanging out here and being more in tune with trying to be healthy is great motivation.  I feel more accountable when I post what I'm planning on eating for the day... :)

Other than that, just taking 20-30 minute walks or doing at least a little exercise everyday helps me a lot too...Some days I just can't do a major workout and at the beginning I wasn't totally up for it either.

Good luck on your weight loss journey, definitely keep us posted! :)
  • Hi!  Welcome to GIS.  There's lots of great support and encouragement here.  You've already taken the most important step - the first one.  Check out the daily accountability threads - I find I'm more likely to stick to the plan if I write it down.  Keep us posted on your progress!
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I've been there...At my heaviest, I was over 300 lbs, but I did manage to lose 125 lbs in one year - the healthy way! What I did/and am still doing, is exercising at least 30 minutes a day. Exercise  is an important factor in this process. Even if it's just a 30 minute walk around your neighborhood, you need to get moving :) The other thing is really managing what you eat. Basically, you can eat whatever you want, but you have to ask yourself "is it worth it?" I've been managing my weight by limiting to no more than 30 grams of fat per day, and focusing more on my fiber and protein intake, which will help you burn those calories throughout the day. I hope this helped! When I did my plan, I was losing about 1-2 lbs. per week, which is very normal and healthy!
  • I agree with the previous posters. You really need to watch your calories and portion sizes and walking is a good place to start with your exercise. Good for you that you have taken the first step. Just a suggestion.....
    My fiance is doing nutri system and has had a lot of success with it. He is very busy and he just doesn't have time to count calories. And his portions have always been outta control. Its really taught him how he should feel throughout the day while eating 5x a day. Also the real size of what a meal needs to look like.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats on your decision.  I highly recommend WW.  A girl in my meeting lost 110 lbs. in about 16 months.  

Although 100 lbs. is a lot, don't think of it that way.  Do mini goals, and longer goals.  My mini goal is to be down 15 pounds by labor day (I'm currently down 10).  My next goal is to lose 30 lbs.  When I hit 30 pounds, I'm going shopping for some new clothes (though not a whole wardrobe).  

I also set weekly goals for myself.  Remember goals should be specific, but they don't all have to be about the scale.  My weekly goals will usually be something like, workout 5 days this week.  Or sometimes I'll set a goal to track every bite that goes into my mouth.  Since I'm on WW, I keep a food journal and write down my goals there.   

Find what works for you.  And remember even if you don't lose 100 lbs. by the time you get married, you'll still look great having lost some of the weight.  GL
  • thanks yall, i thought about ww an id like to lose at least two dress sizes. i've been looking up all sorts of stuff for ww without having to join and spend the 20$ a week to be with them. i dont have that kind of cash to be spending and i've actually been having trouble finding out how to caculate how many points is what so if any yall have a way that i could find out please feel free to message me. Thanks again for all the help/suport. i will be leaning on you girls, and venting (im sorry) cause also having issues with the FI about losing weight. he says i look fine the way i am and that i dont need to lose weight but i know i need to for me to feel confortable enough in my own skin. And i really want to be able to wear a pretty dress in public. thats one of my goals
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_new-board-need-adivce?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3202c71a-562e-44e6-95f8-993258f996fbPost:f60916d4-5386-44b9-8674-42fe2e3a9618">Re: new to the board and need some adivce.</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks yall, i thought about ww an id like to lose at least two dress sizes. i've been looking up all sorts of stuff for ww without having to join and spend the 20$ a week to be with them. i dont have that kind of cash to be spending and i've actually been having trouble finding out how to caculate how many points is what so if any yall have a way that i could find out please feel free to message me. Thanks again for all the help/suport. i will be leaning on you girls, and venting (im sorry) cause also having issues with the FI about losing weight. he says i look fine the way i am and that i dont need to lose weight but i know i need to for me to feel confortable enough in my own skin. And i really want to be able to wear a pretty dress in public. thats one of my goals
    Posted by germangirl6988[/QUOTE]
    I'm in NYC and WW is $12 a week.  Monthly pass is $40 a month.  They also have a 17 week pass that is $179.   The only drawback is that it's for 17 consecutive weeks.  <div>
    </div><div>As for FI, you're not the only one.  My FI has it in his head that once I reach goal, I'm going to hoochify my wardrobe.  Um, I'm a teacher.  It's not gonna happen.  Where would I wear my hoochie clothes?  lol</div><div>
    </div><div>Private mail me if you want to talk further</div>
  • Good luck!  I lurk mostly, but I love checking out this board every day.  Lots of inspiration and support.  I'd suggest for a start going for a walk every night after dinner with your FI.  and then move up to more intense exercise.  Couch to 5k is a great way to get you running, and you can do it slowly.  I highly recommend yoga. It's not the most direct way to lose weight, but it helps to balance you out.  I've found that I want bad foods less now that I do yoga regularly.  It makes me want to be healthy.  Also, try lifting weights.  Because you've got some weight to shift, at the beginning you might bulk up, but that muscle will ultimately burn more calories and raise your metabolism.  I'm doing p90x and doing a lot of weights from that and I love it.  I feel so much more toned, trim and strong.  
  • I dont know how you feel about red meat but if you remove it from your eating....you will lose weight fast and continue to walk. Hope this works!!!!!

• I call sparkpeople.com the FREE weight watchers because everything on the site is free plus they give you meal plans. Also, they tell you how much you can eat everyday and still lose weight by giving you a calorie range to stay within.  They can tell you what date you will lose your weight by when they calculate what you are doing based on two pounds a week.  Its awesome.  They also have sparkteams where people with like interests can join and message each other and they have pages that you can make like myspace and you can make buddies that will inspire and motivate you.  They also have articles that will educate and motivate you as well.  I agree with everyone else give yourself small goals to stick to.  For me its been gradual.  I have lost 3 dress sizes and 17 pounds so far.  I have 30 more pounds that I want to lose.  I have experimented with lots of diets even this year and calorie counting really is the only way.  Other diets don't work and you put it right back on.  So for me I work out 6 days a week with Turbo Fire and use sparkpeople.com and Shakeology.  Things are moving in the right direction.  
  • My biggest tip - drink water, subbing water for the other things you drink is a great way to nix extra calories and feel better - it also helps your skin and hair b/c you're hydrating from the inside out.  Add a slice of lemon or lime if you need a flavor boost.  I bought a 32 ounce water bottle that I bring to work with me so i always have water in front of me and just refill throughout the day.  Another great drink alternative is Lipton Diet Green Tea- just avoid the unnecessary sugar and alternative sweetners and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. 
    Another suggestion is start cooking at home, it's the best way to make sure that your healthy choices will remain even after you've lost the weight and your wedding day.  Elie Krieger is a nutrionist with some wonderful cookbooks out there and some really easy recipes - cooking for yourself helps you stay away from processed foods and the hidden sodium contents. 
    Kudos to you for starting this journey and for making a lifestyle change, the less you think about this being a "diet" the better you'll appreciate the things that you can do.  I'm new to this board as well and i'm glad to see the amount of support that's out there. 
    And if your FI still gives you the "i love you just the way you are" which I'm sure he does b/c that's why he's with you, use the one thing that we know makes them crack - tell him that you need to feel better about yourself and that you read that the better about yourself that you feel the better your sex life gets!  that should help get him on your bandwagon!

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • thanks everyone and i will keep yall posted. ive cut out going out to eat all together for now and if have to then i look for places that have ww meals. i would be fine being a size 14 (even though thats still "plus size" i dont think it is) so thats 2 dress sizes. I try not to think about it as a diet.
  • yes, don't think about it as a diet, it's a lifestyle... you can't go back, so don't cut out eating at restaurants altogether... don't be too restrictive, because then you're setting yourself up to fail.  everything in moderation!
  • Good luck!  It is so wonderful that you're getting started and taking this big step toward weight loss.  I'm sure you will reach your goal.  Do you have any other friends that might be interested in losing weight or just get active?  Having a buddy does a few really helpful things - it gives you some accountability, encouragement, a sense of being 'in it together,' and a real support system.  Even for someone like me, who has been working out for years, I'm more likely to go for a jog if I have a friend to do it with.  The most important thing about what you're doing, in addition to feeling better and getting to look beautiful in your dress, is that you will make yourself healthier.  I definitely recommend things other posters have said: counting calories, etc.  Make sure to mix up cardio with some weights - it will help you burn more calories during the day.  Aerobics are great.  Yoga is also fantastic - it is the only exercise proven to actually moderate your appetite, which is pretty awesome.  Again, best wishes to you! 
  • Hello! I'm new to the board as well. I'm usually on the Detroit board. I'm trying to lose a little bit of weight and I did find a free WW points calculator.

http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php

Also, I use www.myfitnesspal.com to track my calories.

Also I used this to determine my appropriate number of points for the day.

Hope this helps!
    Danielle & Tyler

10-10-10

"God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 126 Invited image 41 Getting Crazy image 10 Party Poopin image 75 MIA
    RSVP Date: September 10th
  • I'm a little late to the game but I just wanted to comment on the money aspect of it.  I treat everything I spend (from WW, to personal training, to gym membership, yoga studio, etc.) as an investment in my future.  I think of it in the same way that I think of putting money into my 401K, any money I spend now on becoming healthier will pay HUGE dividends in the future.  When I look at my aunts and uncles that are overweight, they are all on Type 2 diabetes medications and have extreme health challenges and limitations that cost A TON of money, not to mention make them feel terrible most of the time.   

The $10ish a week that WW costs is one of the absolute best ways you can spend money, you are investing in YOU!  If you cut out restaurant eating as you mentioned, is there a little extra money in the budget to buy healthful, whole foods and potentially work on a WW program?

WW takes work and committment, as does any exercise program, but the rewards that you will gain are worth every penny and minute spent! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards