Getting in Shape
Options

Arm toning suggestions?

Hello Everyone!

I have not posted on this board before, but I would love to hear any SIMPLE yet EFFECTIVE arm toning routines.  I am getting married at the end of June and not feeling confident about my strapless dress....

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Arm toning suggestions?

• Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2010
    To really see muscle definition, you not only want to build muscle, but also reduce body fat. Which means cardio AND weights.

Personally, I prefer to do weight/cardio intervals. I use free weights at home with DVDs like the 30 day shred, Results Fitness 10 days to a better body, and women's health ultimate fat burn. All of which are around 30 minutes and produce results pretty fast if you do them several days a week, with straight cardio on alternate days.

If you don't like DVDs, you can always do the exercises Nebb suggested with a minute of jump rope between. I also agree with the PP who mentioned push ups as the number one upper body toning exercise.

Hope that helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    One exercise that I like that doesn't require weights and will help build your triceps (the back of your arms) is the tricep dip.  If you go on youtube and type that in, you will see videos of the exercise.  You can start by bending your knees to dip and then to make it more challenging, you can straighten your legs out in front of you.  The weights are also a great way to build muscle in your arms (obviously) and I agree about kicking up the cardio.  Finally, as someone said, the pushups are a great exercise that can be done and just try to push yourself to do more each day.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dips, Pushups, Pullups, shoulder presses with hand weights. You can do the dips off a chair and pullups you can go to the park and knock out 10 - 30/ swing on the monkey bars too and help your shoulder definition.
  • Options
    Pushups!  And none of that girly on your knees crap.  If you can't do a full pushup (I can't!) do them on an incline.  As you get better, decrease the height your hands are at to make them harder.

Check out the 100 pushup challenge (just google) for a routine that will kick your butt.  Improving the muscle definition in your shoulders will help too.

And as desertsun said, be sure to combine your weight/resistance training with cardio!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely second the 30DS. I am very, very new to working with weights period. So the shred is a great starting point for me. I just started it less than two weeks ago and I can already tell a big difference. The biggest difference (albeit strange) I've noticed is how loose my bra straps are now. Exciting though because I also have a strapless dress and that's a place I need to lose! Good luck!
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    These are great tips. I definitely need to start picking these exercises up (just haven't had a lot of time lately).
  • Options
    haha - a LOT of good tips here!

I personally LOVE my arms.

I do:

LOTS of cardio (running 2-3 times/week, zumba (dance) 4-5 times/week (I'm an instructor))
    once/week yoga
    twice/week weightlifting (I do 1 upper body day and 1 lower body day), arm-specific weights usually are:
    "bicep 21's" (7 full curls, 7 top half curls, 7 bottom half curls) - repeat 3 times each side
    "shoulder 21's" (same concept with side shouler raises)
    tricep kickbacks
    tricep dips
    lateral pull-downs

Pushups are awesome - but I hate doing them - lol....but you should :-p
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Push ups & swimming & 'supermans' .  Swimming does wonders for your shoulders.
    Start with 10 wall push ups a day ( or counter top or floor, depending how fit you already are), then add a second set of ten.  When that gets easy, cut your speed in half.  Supermans are where you lay face down with your arms over your head & then lift from your shoulders & your feet by arching your back for a count of ten.  Do 10 of these a day.  Doing this will give you strong back muscles & make you stand up straight.  Which makes your clothes fit better. =)
  • Options
    I was told to do arm push ups. Same idea as a regular push up but do them standing up and against a wall. I have severe back problems and doing them this way reduces the strain on your back and gives more attention to the upper body.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned yoga as part of their routine and I second that - sun salutations are really great for arms/shoulders/back, and work different muscles than regular push-ups.  Here is a really basic step-by-step of a sun salutation, and you can find tons of these on-line.  The great thing is you just need enough floor space to lie down, no equipment or anything, and can do it anywhere an any time. http://www.yogasite.com/sunsalute.htm
    imageimage
  • Options
    I second the yoga post above.  I just started doing yoga 1-2 times a week and I definitely feel stronger in my arms and definitely in my shoulders! I can't get enough of it...it's such a great workout and with all the stress of wedding planning it does wonders for calming my mind!!

I would recommend going to a yoga studio and taking a beginners class so you get the correct form and then you can try doing the videos.  If you have a hot yoga studio in your area definitely try that out once you are comfortable with all the poses.  It's blasts calories and is very cleasing (albeit a little gross with all the sweat).

Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I use those tension elastic bands. You can do many exercises with them that tone the arms as well as the back. There are also many online suggestions for simple exercises that really make you feel the burn.
  • Options
    I agree about swimming. I have nicely sculpted shoulders from swimming, but I also have a bit of the dreaded "batwing" problem! YIKES! I work out all the time, from skiing, which I do all weekend long, to swimming, cardio, and ballet. I just can't seem to tone down the "batwing" phenomenon as much as I would prefer. I have noticed some improvement though! Slow and steady! What I need to know is how to tone the abs, and back! HELP!
  • Options
    I was working out on my own but I never pushed myself hard enough.  You may want to enlist the help of a friend or personal trainer to make sure you're really trying your best.  I am working on toning my arms and my abs.  For my arms I work with 7.5-10lb weights and hold them in one hand each and with my palms facing down I bring them up above my waist and hold 2 seconds and bring them down and repeat (10x).  I then hold the weights at shoulder length with my palsm facing infront of me and then I bring them back in towards my chest and repeat 10x.  Lastly I squat and lift as I did in the beginning.  I do 3 sets of this.

Good luck.  The workout really makes you question what kind of dress you want.  :)
  • Options
    pushups and chair dips.... diamond (thumbs together) and military pushups (elbows in)  regular, incline, decline and wide (wider than shoulders)
    pushups..... pushups are the simplest most effective you can do them anywhere exercise.....
  • Options
    There are some great exercise suggestions here, but spot toning is really hard.  To get rid of flabby areas, you really need to reduce your overall body fat.  However, there are ways to make you arms appear more toned.  Start using a moisturizing sugar scrub a few times a week to smooth the skin, apply a rich cream afterward.  Then for your wedding day, be sure you are tanned - spray tanning does not harm your skin and looks great, but that is your choice.  If you get a custom spray tan, the technician can do a bit of shading to create contours.  Good luck!
  • Options

My finance told me boxing on wii and doing some arm curls with some 8 to 10 pounds weights. I am doing wii boxing and my arms are improving. Hopefully that works.

PS- Please vote.

http://www.ultimateweddingcontest.com/entries/22468

• Options
    Hi There,
    I have been doing a class called "metabolic effect" it is awesome and only 30 minutes.  I definitely think you should try this one.  I take it at Sport and Health club but think you can google and and find other locations.  Hope this helps!
    All the Best, Margo Schlossberg  Owner, KuraDesign Accessories www.KuraDesign.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_arm-toning-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3e76a240-6ed7-4f8d-9cfc-100947e63196Post:31aa66ec-a1c8-460a-bb8f-c7c20cbbd968">Re: Arm toning suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi There, I have been doing a class called "metabolic effect" it is awesome and only 30 minutes.  I definitely think you should try this one.  I take it at Sport and Health club but think you can google and and find other locations.  Hope this helps! All the Best, Margo Schlossberg  Owner, KuraDesign Accessories <a href="http://www.KuraDesign.com" rel="nofollow">www.KuraDesign.com</a>
    Posted by margoschloss[/QUOTE]
    Ok vendor thanks for your contribution. Youve been reported.
  • Options
    My gf lost 20lbs doing the SHRED Videos from Jillian Micheals on the biggest loser (the trainer).  So I thought what the heck I am gonna give this video a try. I bought the shred (20min circuits with 3lb weights) and also her video for problem areas-thighs butt arms and waist.. and I have seen such improvement in one month. I bought the videos on amazon.. each 7.99 and hand weights for 12.99.. saves money on the gym membership and I can pop them in the DVD player and be done fast!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards