Getting in Shape
Options

Cubicle Work Out????

I have a very sedentary job. I sit and sit and sit in a cube at a computer..... literally I drink so much water that I have to pee, just so I remember to get up to go to the bathroom and get some exercise. I am sooo not kidding. Anyhow, does anyone know of any "cubicle" workouts? Keep in mind my chair rolls away from me hahaha... and my "walls" are not too stable. I'm willing to try anything. I am even considering sitting on a stability ball part of the day...

cat
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cubicle Work Out????

• Options
    I have the same issue, only I'm not in a cubicle, just at a long desk with 2 other people next to me...any ideas for activities would be greatly appreciated!! (without making me look ridiculous)
  • Options
    me too! My advice I will pitch in is taking a break once an hour and doing 20 calf raises! I hear sitting on a ball is GREAT for your abs! Think I might try that one too!!

Here's what I got when I google'd for ideas. http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk

Glance at the wall clock and rip off a minute's worth of jumping jacks. If you're a beginner, try the low-impact version (raise your right arm and tap your left toe to the side while keeping your right foot on the floor; alternate sides)
    Do a football-like drill of www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/fitness-basics-running-for-your-life" >running in place for 60 seconds. Get those knees up! (Beginners, march in place.)
    Simulate jumping rope for a minute: Hop on alternate feet, or on both feet at once. An easier version is to simulate the arm motion of turning a rope, while alternately tapping the toes of each leg in front.
    While seated, pump both arms over your head for 30 seconds, then rapidly tap your feet on the floor, football-drill style, for 30 seconds. Repeat 3-5 times.
    If you can step into a vacant office or conference room, shadow box for a minute or two. Or just walk around the room as fast as you can.
    Or do walk-lunges in your office or a vacant room. (You could also amuse your co-workers by doing these in the hall; remember Monty Python's "Ministry of Silly Walks" comedy routine?). Set your PDA to beep you into action.
    No conference room? Take to the stairs -- two at a time if you need a harder workout! Do this 5-7 times a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Whenever I am absolutely stuck in the library and cannot work out, I will do stair intervals. The library has six flights of stairs and every half hour I run up and down the stairs. I don't really lose any study time and my heart rate gets high enough to burn some calories. If your office doesn't have stairs, you can always brisky walk around the building on your lunch and breaks

Unfortunately, these methods are going to get you pretty minimal results most likely. Definitely better than nothing. But they aren't going to deliver serious results on their own. Can you work out before or after work? You don't necessarily need a gym membership. But carving out some time for exercise is really your best bet. Good luck!
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm also stuck at my desk all day, in a single level office. Our industrial park is very quiet though, so I try to walk a couple miles over my lunch on days when I can't find any other time to work out.
    I also make a habit of being the first one to check the fax machine when I hear it spitting out paper (it's on the other side of the office), and taking a spare minute in the rest room (single stall, main door locks) to do wall pushups, jumping jacks, etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    those are some great ideas girls!! Thank you. I am deff going to try some! I am also hitting the grocery store tomorrow for some healthy foods!!! YAY

Cat
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would suggest if you could to just stand and do your work while standing as long as you can every hour. When you are standing you are burning twice as many calories as when you are sitting. So if you can stand for 10 minutes an hour you are off to a good start. I will burn 1 calorie a minute while sitting, but 2 while standing so if i could stand for 10 minutes every hour, then I would burn an extra 160 calories a day the same as a 30 minute walk. Not to bad IMO.

Jolie on the Run Wedding Countdown Ticker
    132 Invited image
    38 Can't wait to party image
    0 Don't like fun image
    94 ? image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards