Getting in Shape
Options

Sodium & Birth Control

So I just started birth control a few months ago (YAZ to be specific) and even though I have always had a high level of water retention with sodium intake, I have noticed it even more! I puff right up with what seems like just a little salt! UGH!

Anyone else on BC that has this problem as well?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sodium & Birth Control

• Options
    i did at first - i started bc last year, and it seemed like the first two months, i retained a ton of water. i was also on a high-dose pill, and gained 15lbs almost immediately. something that helped me with the water thing (i didn't really eat a lot of salt in my diet but i still retained) was drinking about 2 or 3 liters of water a day, even if i wasn't thirsty. sometimes it really sucks being a chick!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, and I'm on Yaz too.  Ditto pp to drink LOTS of water.
  • Options
    I'm also on YAZ. I have actually had the most luck being on YAZ and not gaining weight / retaining water. This obviously differs from person to person. On Loestrin 24 however, I gained 12 pounds in 2 months - it was horrible so I switched back to YAZ. Now that I'm done with my little rant -- drink A LOT of water. I keep a water bottle with me and make it a point to drink enough that I have to refill it at least 2 times throughout the work day. That has helped me, I just pee a lot more throughout the day! :)
  • Options
    I am not on yaz Im on tri-sprintec. but it has really incresed my appetitie i mean a lot. I feel liek i could always use a snack. This is so not good when i am trying to loose some lbs & tone up for the wedding.
  • Options
    Miah- Trisprintec did the same thing to me...crazy appetite. I stopped the pill all together and will be going back to see what kind of NON-HORMONAL bc they can suggest. It's ridiculous how these pills work...I'm either moody, eat like crazy or get melasma from all different pills. So frustrating.
    Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been taking Sprintec ( there is no Tri in front ) for several years now and it doesn't seem to have any bad side effects - although when I switched to Monanessa I bled for a month and 1 week >_< So I switched back to Sprintec and now I'm back to normal. I've been on BC for so long I may just be used to the side effects though - I noticed when I first started taking BC - I can't even remember the brand, I gained some weight.

What is the difference between Trisprintec and just Sprintec?

I also agree with Christa - drink lots of water!!

Also I think I remember hearing bad things about Yaz, or was it Yazmin? One of them is being recalled I think??
  • Options
    bluebunneh-- not sure of the differences...I think the levels of hormones.
    Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    oh for sure. have taken yaz for 3 years now... at first, was the only bc that didn't cause weight gain for me but i've noticed in the last year or so that i'm constantly bloated - despite drinking up to a gallon of water a day, which is a TON!... decided to go off bc two weeks ago before my wedding and low and behold, lost 7 lbs. without doing much else in addition to regular workouts. just a thought.
  • Options
    I think that's the main reason I've gained so much weight I'm getting the Mirena and hoping that it'll help with the moodiness and weigth gain!
    My Bio
    Updated 6.8.11

Our Website
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards