Getting in Shape

not feeling a burn in lower abs when working out and just need ideas

Im trying to loose 20 lbs in general because I have a short torso and at 5ft 2 it never good to be 140 ( it snuck up on me and I somewhat blame my executive chef bf cooking all that awesome food) 

I been working out very day for at least 20 mins a day doing dance cardio and been on what I like to call an altered weight watchers program as my mom suggested. I can eat as many fruits and veggies as I want with whole grains, protein.  Basically most morning I have a bowl of cereal (3/4 a cup Kashi heart healthy) with skim milk ( it is all my chef bf will allow me lol)  sometimes I will a dannon yogurt but you get the idea...a healthy choice for lunch and Jordan will cook a meal for dinner and we been eating more salad.  Basically it is healthy life style that I become accustom to it and I cant wait to see what I look like by the time we get married.  (He going to try to loose weight but he is big boned and has Hypothyroidism which makes it harder to loose weight) 
He is being supportive and thinks I look awsome already and I am not trying to be a size 4 again but I would at least like to be able to fit in a  size 6  bottom again and I know when your a 30GG that you can expect to weight a little more but I be more comfortable at 125lbs 

The cardio is going well, when i work my thighs and butt I feel the burn til the next day

OK enough background - I been doing crunches, cross crunches, toe reaching, side lift, planks, torso twists, you name it but I am not getting a burning in my side or in my lower abs just right below my ribcage what can i do to work the muscles my lower abs and side abs?

Re: not feeling a burn in lower abs when working out and just need ideas

• make sure you're isolating those bottom muscles.  a lot of times we 'cheat' and adjust our position just ever so slightly so that our upper abs do most of the work.

one of the best lower-ab moves:
    lay on your back. put your legs straight up in the air (so that you're in an L position). Put your hands flat close next to your body, palms on the floor. then, lift your legs/butt STRAIGHT up towards the ceiling. (make sure they don't tilt towards your head).  do about 5-10 reps, rest and repeat.  make sure you're isolating that lower ab section.

....i also use the iphone app 'niketrainingclub'  their 15 minute ab workout is awesome. =)

• The most effective ab specific exercises I've ever done have been with a stability ball.  They don't feel like a major workout, but the next morning you feel it.

Try these:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZKS5SvIXNY

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_not-feeling-burn-lower-abs-working-out-just-need-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:6c7f5972-36a0-49a9-bbe2-4c3bf2adaf3aPost:2a2eaef7-11fc-42fc-b029-9b838233e87f">not feeling a burn in lower abs when working out and just need ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im trying to loose 20 lbs in general because I have a short torso and at 5ft 2 it never good to be 140 ( it snuck up on me and I somewhat blame my executive chef bf cooking all that awesome food)  I been working out very day for at least 20 mins a day doing dance cardio and been on what I like to call an altered weight watchers program as my mom suggested. I can eat as many fruits and veggies as I want with whole grains, protein.  Basically most morning I have a bowl of cereal (3/4 a cup Kashi heart healthy) with skim milk ( it is all my chef bf will allow me lol)  sometimes I will a dannon yogurt but you get the idea...a healthy choice for lunch and Jordan will cook a meal for dinner and we been eating more salad.  Basically it is healthy life style that I become accustom to it and I cant wait to see what I look like by the time we get married.  (He going to try to loose weight but he is big boned and has Hypothyroidism which makes it harder to loose weight)  He is being supportive and thinks I look awsome already and I am not trying to be a size 4 again but I would at least like to be able to fit in a  size 6  bottom again and I know when your a 30GG that you can expect to weight a little more but I be more comfortable at 125lbs  The cardio is going well, when i work my thighs and butt I feel the burn til the next day OK enough background - I been doing crunches, cross crunches, toe reaching, side lift, planks, torso twists, you name it but I am not getting a burning in my side or in my lower abs just right below my ribcage what can i do to work the muscles my lower abs and side abs?
    Posted by artisticjewishbride2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi there,</div><div>
    </div><div>I hear ya. I'm 5'2 and I'm 131 right now. I'm actually comfortable at this weight but I think I look a lot more lean and 'toned' at 125. So i'm working on that last 6 lbs for my august wedding. </div><div>When you do any ab workout, you have to do it slowly in a controlled motion and really focus on your abdominals.. I don't know how to quite explain it but also engage it more. </div><div>Here is a link for ab workouts  <a href="http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html">http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html</a></div>
  • There's a great workout using the stability ball for your lower abs.  It's my absolute favorite!!! Here's the youtube video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5JuIEty_-w

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've been working out as well. I never feel anything in my abs but with the cardio I am losing fat around my stomach area. My personal trainer told me you don't always have to feel it afterwards for it to work. So my advice is to wait a month and see if you see a change. Don't just go off of weight, do measurements as well because if you gain muscle your weight may not change much. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Also, drink lots and lots and lots of water. I cannot stress that enough! You can't pick and choose where the fat will fall off from first, but if you keep up with the cardio, healthy eating, and lots of water you should be fine! This is just what I have seen in myself from experience and advice from my personal trainer. Good luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could also try scissor kicks or crunches or whatever it's called (I freaking hate these things, but they work). Lay flat with your hands palm down and legs straight out. Raise your legs a few inches and slowly cross one leg over the other. Do about 5-10 reps and repeat.

And like PP said - just b/c you're not feeling a burn doesn't mean it's not working. Just be careful you don't overdo it and injure yourself!
    Anniversary
  • This!  Scissor kicks!  Lay down flat and raise your leg up about 3 or 4 feet, then slowly lower that leg as you raise the opposite one.  It kills!!  I really feel it in my lower stomach.  Also, bicycle kicks - lay on your back but prop yourself up on your elbows so you can see your legs.  Put both legs in the air about 2 or 3 feet off the ground.  Bend your knees some so that it's easy to keep your legs in the air.  Alternating legs, stretch one out strait and bring it back as you stretch the other one out.  To work your side, you can turn half onto your side with your hip supporting your weight but both elbows are still on the ground.  Do the bicycle kicks like this, with one leg a little above the other.  Does this make sense?  I'm sure you can find a video of it.
  • I am loving all these helpful hints unfortunately the bf not being as supportive as i would like him to be,  he thinks i look fine, damn sexy  " i dont want you turning into a hulk" and its all in my head , I told him just wait and see. any time I say he not being supportive he says well then dont eat that piece of chocolate  peanut butter cake pie which isnt fair because he asked me to make it and I only have a small small sliver of it. 

As far as weighing and measuring myself I haven't been able to do that for 2 weeks so I am excited to see it when I get home monday.

I always have a glass of water in front of me and I drink water with everything

• You should try the Jillian Michaels "Six week six pack" dvd. It works cardio in with abs so it helps you get lean muscle and not hulk muscles lol. My fiance who is trying to build muscle) and I (trying to tone back up after having twins) eat really healthy during the week and then have a free day sunday. It helps us both and that way hes not eating junk in front of me either. That way you can have your chocolate peanut butter pie and not feel bad about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards