Getting in Shape
Options

Can't afford the GYM on our Wedding Budget

Our wedding is less than 3 months away. I've been procrastinating about working out, but I just want to tone up. I've got the healthy eating down, but I need some exercise! What do you guys recommend outside the gym.

I know workout videos help, but they get boring after a while. Any exercises you like doing at home?? FI and I have committed to playing tennis 3 days a week, but I'm a TOTAL beginner!

TIA!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can't afford the GYM on our Wedding Budget

• Options
    I started jogging recently specifically because it can be done any time, any place.  I've been using the treadmill at my apartment's "gym."  However,the treadmill isn't necessary, and its something I can do without buying any gym membership, etc.  I'm to the point where I want to start adding in weight lifting, but jogging is a good start!  

My FI and I hike on the weekends too.
  • Options
    I have some free weights I got at target, and I use those when I watch the today show. 

Also, walking is fantastic. 

One more idea, is if you could do netflix (the 8.99 month package) you can get different workout videos through that.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    There are lots of body weight exercises you can do at home and some of them are just as effective if not more, than using machines at the gym. 

Go on Youtube and find the proper way to do pushups, lunges, and squats. These three basic exercises will help build the majority of your muscles. Since you are a beginner, you may not need to add weights yet, but getting a set of 10lb or 12lb dumbbells to add to your squats and lunges will help. 

As for cardio, a jump rope is cheap and burpees are even cheaper. Get down these basic movements and make a circuit out of them. I'm a huge fan of CrossFit and many of their workouts use very little equipment, but their followers see amazing results. 

Good luck!

• Options
    You can do walk/jog/run intervals outside. Walking works. I agree about the free weights. Google excercises to use with the weights.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    If there's a 24 hour fitness around you, you can join costco (50$) and get a TWO YEAR membership for 300$. that's like 12$ a month!  You pay up front but the overall cost is so low.

Otherwise, new videos, walking, pushups, etc. You might also want to buy some used dumbbells off craigslist. Most of the change will come from diet though, so never let lack of exercise facilities come between you and your goal.
  • Options
    I know you said video's weren't your fav. but if you could give one more a try you might really enjoy it. Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred is awesome! It has three levels so beginners can start on level 1 and work your way up. Each level is 20 minutes each. I love it because it is so quick but really gives your an intense workout. I find Jillian to be very motivating and this exercise tape realllllllly works!! Good Luck :)
  • Options
    I agree go with Jillian's 30 day shred...it is like $9 at walmart and all you need is like 5 lbs weights
  • Options
    There's free workouts at http://www.exercisetv.tv
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm going to try to take everyone up on their great ideas!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Even if you can't afford the gym, there are little lifestyle changes you can also make. Use the stairs instead of the elevator, park way out in the parking lot........I know these aren't exact "exercises" but they are free ways to squeeze in a little bit of exercise and burn some more calories. Be creative! You can also ride your bike (if you have one), or grab a friend and go on a walk, friends are great motivation and you have so much fun you don't always know you are working out. I also know that many people will sell used gym equipment for cheap simply because they don't use it (I dont know how much living space you have) but look in the newspaper and such and see what people are selling.
  • Options
    I get bored really quickly too, with work out DVD's. Though, the one that is fast paced and I can stick out the whole workout and not get bored is Dallas Cowboy Cheerleading BootCamp. The counts are quick and the excercises are fun. I have a lot of work out DVD's and that one is the only one that I've been able to complete. Hope, this helps. Also, talk to your friends and family so they can help motivate you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards