Getting in Shape
Options

PCOS

So I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). Among many things it is very difficult to lose weight. Is anyone else struggling with this? Any tips or advice?

Re: PCOS

• Options
    Starting birth control pills may help
    Jenny B
  • Options
    I also have PCOS, and losing weight is really hard.  You might want to go to your doctor and get tested for insulin resistance, diabetes, and other metabolic issues that can come along with PCOS.  If you have any of these other issues, they may put you on Metformin (Glucophage), which can be helpful for alleviating symptoms of PCOS, increasing fertility (if you're interested in that) and can help shed at least some of the pounds since it can cut your appetite.  Also, eating a diet lower in sugar and carbohydrates is helpful for women with PCOS to shed pounds.
  • Options
    I have PCOS too, I didn't know it made it difficult to lose weight.  I have been thin for most of my life, but I have put on about 40 lbs in the last year and its been so hard trying to lose it.  I am also hypoglycemic, so I thought that was the problem, it never occurred to me that PCOS could be an issue. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I also have PCOS.  I found that weight watchers has helped me... I've lost 40 lbs.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I tried WW in the past, but I just can't stand counting points.  Though I've only used the website,never the meetings
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi. I also have PCOS. Because PCOS gives us a higher chance of beig diabetic my dr regulates my blood sugar often. She determined that I was borderline, or prediabetic and so put me on Metformin pills. She advised me that a side effect would be losing weight. ...  umm.... a side effect! it was amazing. I lost 22 pounds in 9 weeks and kept it off. of course i stopped eating anything processed. my fam switched to eating all natural and organic foods. But i believe I lost so much cuz of the metformin. FYI though if you do get it (and it is often prescribed to us pcos women) the first week you take it stay close to a bathroom and don't eat anything anything fatty or fried... trust me. :-)
  • Options
    This is a huge struggle and while the Metformin helps you still have to work on it, I lost about 20 lbs a year ago and have put it back on, you have to still work out and make sure you cut out breads, pastas, rice, and sugars and drink lots of water!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards