Getting in Shape
Options

Attempting to Run a 5K in March

I'm looking for some suggestions and good plan to follow. I'm looking at the couch-to-5K program. Any ideas and advice.

TIA

Re: Attempting to Run a 5K in March

• Options

I've heard good things about the C2K program, but haven't tried it myself.  Only advice I can give is to stick with it.  I couldn't run a quarter mile when I started - but I'm now up to 7.  It takes time, but its a great sense of accomplishment (plus a great workout) :)

Let us know how it is going!
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can do it!

Be persistent - find a spot with a 3 mile route, and do the three miles every chance you get, so you can get used to the feeling of that distance.

Gradually work your way up to running the whole thing.  I started with walking 1/2 mile, running as far as I could at a slow jogging pace, walking a 1/2 mile... etc.

Eventually the amount of running time will start to add up, and you'll be able to shorten the amount of walking time.
  • Options
    Congratulations!  My number 1 piece of advice is to write down on a piece of paper today "I will complete this 5k."  I've been there -- weighed 200 pounds at one point, but have dropped the weight over the course of 10 years (still have a way to go - at 145 now), and completed 3 marathons last year (before, I used to beg for notes to get out of the mile run).  YOU CAN DO IT.
  • Options
    We can be buddies, if you want- I'm doing c25k and am signing up for my first 5k for March 6! How's that for timing? I'm definitely not a runner, but I love the feeling I get after each run, I'm on week 2 now and it's so gradual that it makes it less daunting than "I'm running 3 miles".  Let me know and  you can do it!
  • Options
    good for you! I started running in March 2008 after, not long after I started dating my fiance. Prior to that I claimed that I hated running. Now I love it! My advice is to keep pushing yourself beyond what you think you can do BUT don't add too much mileage too fast. If you can only run a half mile without stopping, do that for a week and then increase it to 1 mile. You can definitely do this; it's been said that running is 95% mental and 5% physical. If you start getting shin splints it may be because you weight is too high and the impact is hard on your body. So I would recommend cross training on the days you don't run. Do the elliptical or the stationery bike at the gym. Never run too many days in a row, especially if your shins are hurting. Even now I only run a couple days a week and I do other stuff at the gym on the off days.

Also, if you have time, try to train yourself to run 3.5 or 4 miles. That way, when the 5K comes, you'll be able to run it easily and it won't feel like quite as much.(I say this but I don't think I've ever done that before a 5K, lol!) The longest distance I've run is 4 miles but that was only recently, I normally stick to the 5K distance!

Anyway, good luck!
  • Options
    good luck!
  • Options
    Yay for you! I agree with MJB2010, once you have worked up to a 3 mile distance, train to run further so that when you actually do the race, it goes better than expected. My fiance is a marathon runner, I stick to the 5k distance. It is a great way to stay in shape and boost your self confidence. The rush you get when you finish your first race is amazing! I don't do it to place, I do it to finish and it's the most amazing feeling. Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards