Getting in Shape
Options

Natural Honey

Does anyone use it? I started a buying local kick last spring and since I cut out sugar (sugar is not produced in my area!) I sourced out some local honey and found an apiary and bought from them.

Normally (as in every year other than this one) I have BAD allergies this time of year, i am normally stuffed up once trees and flowers start to bloom until early June, but so far this year I havnt even had anything close to a sniffle or an itchy eye. I have read in a number of places that eating local honey reduces your allergies to pollen in your area because you are eating them and somehow become less allergic (im no scientist, pardon my lack of making scientific sense with that explanation).

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, it might work for you too, and either way honey is delicious and eating local is great for your healthy and your local economy!

Re: Natural Honey

• Options
    I'm on a new eating local kick too (Well as soon as it's warm enough around here to buy anything local).  What do you use honey in?  Everything?  do you use it to bake?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    a co-worker of mine makes his own honey and it is out of this world.  soo much better than the stuff you buy in the little bear.  I just wish he passed it out other than just at Christmas........
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I normally use honey to sweeten my tea, I have a tea every night after dinner. I find a little honey goes a LONG way in terms of sweetening too. I just bought a new bottle at the market this morning and i dipped my pinky in some on the inside of the lid and felt sick it was so sweet at once!
  • Options
    The way the local honey consumption is supposed to help is by continually exposing you to the local pollens, helping your body to get used to them.

I may have to look in this for this coming year.  Do you think your apiary is local enough for me??
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_natural-honey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c46ee27e-8069-4fd9-ad4b-991621cc115fPost:fe1fc646-fb5b-4b21-bfcf-336dff74baf1">Re: Natural Honey</a>:
    [QUOTE]The way the local honey consumption is supposed to help is by continually exposing you to the local pollens, helping your body to get used to them. I may have to look in this for this coming year.  Do you think your apiary is local enough for me??
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]
    I got honey from welland this time around, but the last batch I got was from parker-bee apiary in Beamsville, so thats close enough I should say. If you google it, it will show you the address. You just pay in a can and take the honey you want there :) They are very trusting!
  • Options
    I love my local honey- it's so much better than anything in the store. I haven't noticed my allergies go down, but I do use it in my tea to sweeten it. Yum!
    *~allie~*

• Options
    I should start using it.  I've been having problems with heartburn and read that natural honey helps to lessen the symptoms.  If it also helped with my allergies, that would be awesome!
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I will point out that last year my allergies were quite bad and I was popping allergy pills left right and centre, but this year I seem fine, I thinkt hat is the way its supposed to work - the following year your immunities have changed.
  • Options
    That's pretty cool, Nebb. Some people are highly sensitive in response to stimuli so maybe your tradeoff for acute allergies is that you are highly reactive to solutions for them! 
    In answer to the "what do you use it for", LittleKatie, besides tea, honey is a great addition to plain or Greek yogurt; over granola or less-sweet cereals; on top of less-sweet fruits; added to salad dressings, such as lemon poppyseed or honey mustard; with cheese and nuts for a wine snack; and added to marinades (honey mustard for chicken or pork); on a ham sandwich; r over goat cheese on toast or crostini. I see it a lot with blue cheese, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's awesome! I'm definitely going ot have to look into getting some local honey because the pollen in North Carolina is ridiculous...I think no one else is having allergy problems in other areas because we have all the pollen (haha J/K, but it is SUPER bad). I have never had allergies before and I do this year because it's that bad. My mom was like, how do you not have allergies right now with all the pollen you have to breathe in, haha.
  • Options
    Good tip- my allergies are already killing me. I've been using a Neti Pot which helps with my sinuses but doesn't really do much for the itchy eyes. I recently switched to a local honey for work- I don't really use much honey at home but maybe I should start!
  • Options
    Speaking of honey, has anyone tried "raw honey"? I just saw it at Trader Joe's this week- it's in a tub rather than a jar, and the consistency looks thick. The color is opaque, not translucent brown like regualar honey.

Just wondering what it's like before I buy it...I would imagine you spread it on things like toast, etc?

Are there any health benefits to it being "raw"?
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_natural-honey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c46ee27e-8069-4fd9-ad4b-991621cc115fPost:01ae359c-1471-4826-babd-f81ddad7ae89">Re: Natural Honey</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of honey, has anyone tried "raw honey"? I just saw it at Trader Joe's this week- it's in a tub rather than a jar, and the consistency looks thick. The color is opaque, not translucent brown like regualar honey. Just wondering what it's like before I buy it...I would imagine you spread it on things like toast, etc? Are there any health benefits to it being "raw"?
    Posted by crnota[/QUOTE]
    I believe when heated up it turns into the runny consistancy you know and love. I have had honey harden and start to crystalize and heating it up softened it back up so I can only assume the same applies.

I would be careful with spreading it and such, just because there can be a lot of calories in honey.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards