Getting in Shape
Options

Gym etiquette

I saw someone mention that as a gym newbie, they didn't know much about gym etiquette. Any tips we can give them?

1. Wipe down your machines after use.
2. When working on weight machines, let other people work in with you between your sets.

And, maybe specific to my gym: Don't steal things from the trainer area! Grr.
my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: Gym etiquette

• Options
    Also, don't talk on your phone when you are working out!!!  That is soooo annoying.  Or get done with a machine, and sit there and chat with someone for 20 mins on the machine. 
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • Options
    If there are several machines and someone is on one of them, don't get on the one right next to them.  People like having personal space, if possible.  Plus your nose might thank you.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gym-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:cc2f6424-a982-4ee7-95ea-0767e65da216Post:f03c9ed2-b13e-4719-801c-3b7e0cb34c24">Re: Gym etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]If there are several machines and someone is on one of them, don't get on the one right next to them.  People like having personal space, if possible.  Plus your nose might thank you.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, just apply urinal theory to the cardio machines, hahaha.  You can ask your FI/H if you don't know what I'm talking about.</div>
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seems like a no-brainer, but is overlooked surprisingly often. Wash your gym clothes, or bring a fresh set. Every. Single. Time. 

I'm used to working with noxious fumes, and honestly BO doesn't really bug me (I actually like the smell of skunk, I'm weird) but I've nearly gagged mid-workout, when the girl who pulled yesterdays (and the previous days) outfit back out of her dank, smelly locker, climbed back into it, and came out to the machine next to mine. Blargh!

EDIT: Oh, and wipe down the machine.
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gym-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:cc2f6424-a982-4ee7-95ea-0767e65da216Post:90791ad0-440c-4806-a4d4-ac000662c8fd">Re: Gym etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seems like a no-brainer, but is overlooked surprisingly often. Wash your gym clothes, or bring a fresh set. Every. Single. Time.
    Posted by PetraStonegirl[/QUOTE]

Seriously, who has enough time or gym clothes to do this. Workout clothes are so expensive and washing them after every workout shortens their lifetime. I have clothes I rotate between but if you let them dry out between workouts, they're fine for a few uses.
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gym-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:cc2f6424-a982-4ee7-95ea-0767e65da216Post:56570550-700a-4cab-b38a-e28190c2503b">Re: Gym etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gym etiquette : Seriously, who has enough time or gym clothes to do this. Workout clothes are so expensive and washing them after every workout shortens their lifetime. I have clothes I rotate between but if you let them dry out between workouts, they're fine for a few uses.
    Posted by kmjarvey[/QUOTE]

You can get inexpensive workout clothes at TJMax or Marshalls.  I wouldn't want to put on clothes I already sweat in without washing them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes please wash or wear fresh gym clothes each time. You can get lots on inexpensive pieces at wal mart (or similar places) and it can get very smelly and germy to rewear without washing first.
  • Options
    For not washing, yeah that's gross, but if your seriously worried-- use Febreeze

Also try to limit the noises you make,

Treat the equipment nice-- there was a guy who litterally was rocking the ellepitic machine off its feet, weird and scary,

Don't blast your music-- I shouldn't here it two machines down

Try not to stare at people, it may make them self-conscious, and you probably don't want them staring at you

And all the above posts as well
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • Options
    may i add-PLEASE put away your weights after you use them, especially if you are using a machine with heavy weights like the leg press. it really annoys me to have to take off like180 lbs before I even start the exercise.

also, I'm not a prude, but I'm also not a fan of excessive locker room nudity. if it takes you an hour to do your hair, at least throw on some underwear.
  • Options
    For group fitness classes, don't set up your stuff directly in front of and paralell to someone who is already there.  Try as best you can to position yourself so you're not blocking people's view of the instructor or the mirror.  Of course some classes get crowded, but I really can't stand when there's tons of open space, and someone sets up right in front of me.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Gym etiquette:
    [QUOTE]may i add-PLEASE put away your weights after you use them, especially if you are using a machine with heavy weights like the leg press. it really annoys me to have to take off like180 lbs before I even start the exercise. also, I'm not a prude, but I'm also not a fan of excessive locker room nudity. if it takes you an hour to do your hair, at least throw on some underwear.
    Posted by mrscheetah[/QUOTE]

I agree! Also, put away physio balls, mats, foam rollers, etc. It's annoying to have to walk around the gym looking for equipment. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gym-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:cc2f6424-a982-4ee7-95ea-0767e65da216Post:da3f7c96-f1fa-4797-ad7a-bd6ae89dc352">Re: Gym etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gym etiquette : You can get inexpensive workout clothes at TJMax or Marshalls.  I wouldn't want to put on clothes I already sweat in without washing them. 
    Posted by amy727[/QUOTE]

Enen better than Wal-Mart/Target is Kohls! Just yesreday I got 3 tops and 3 bottoms all Nike for $40.  They were on the huge clearance rack, esch piece was originally $40. It was on clearance and I bought my 15% coupon that came in mail.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gym-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:cc2f6424-a982-4ee7-95ea-0767e65da216Post:56570550-700a-4cab-b38a-e28190c2503b">Re: Gym etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gym etiquette : Seriously, who has enough time or gym clothes to do this. Workout clothes are so expensive and washing them after every workout shortens their lifetime. I have clothes I rotate between but if you let them dry out between workouts, they're fine for a few uses.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but this is just so effing nasty, I cringed. I literally want to gag just thinking about it. I'm a runner, and I sweat so much that I can't imagine throwing on my clothes that I sweated in the day before. I'd rather run naked (not really, but you know what I mean).

As for other gym etiquette, I'd like to mention that you shouldn't drop the weights on the floor. This is a huge problem at the gym at work. My office is above the weight room, and everytime someone drops the weights on the floor, it startles me (whether I'm in the gym at the same time or not). If the weights are too heavy for you to set down easily, then lessen the amount of weights you're lifting.

Also, ladies, the gym is not a bar. Don't go there to meet guys. Don't wear makeup that you're just going to sweat off, it looks more gross than had you gone sans makeup. And flirting with the guy next to you while you hog the machine is not only infuriating but also a waste of my time. Take your flirtatious conversation to the lobby so I can get on with my workout.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gym-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:cc2f6424-a982-4ee7-95ea-0767e65da216Post:b4521f95-a13b-41af-a6ab-40ef9903723b">Re: Gym etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gym etiquette : I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but this is just so effing nasty, I cringed. I literally want to gag just thinking about it. I'm a runner, and I sweat so much that I can't imagine throwing on my clothes that I sweated in the day before. I'd rather run naked (not really, but you know what I mean). Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

I run too and I'm not going to wash my clothes for 10 workouts a week if they don't smell. They get sweaty. I hang them to dry in my locker and they're good for a few workouts. I shared a locker room for the last 4 years with 20 girls who did the same. Never got any complaints.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gym-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:cc2f6424-a982-4ee7-95ea-0767e65da216Post:56570550-700a-4cab-b38a-e28190c2503b">Re: Gym etiquette</a>:

I'm sorry, but yuck.  No way will I wear what I sweated in before until it's been washed.  FI tried to tell me that was okay to do.

I've got no suggestions, but this is a good thread for us gym newbies.  Thanks!  (though it should be common sense lol)
  • Options
    Keep your shoes on! I'm sorry, but I don't need to smell your feet nor do I want your sweaty feet all over the mat that I'm stretching on.

Throw your dirty towels in the bin, don't leave them all over the floor, benches, etc. Other people shouldn't have to move them or pick them up.

Don't shave in the public showers, that's disgusting.
  • Options
    I was stuck between one lady blabbing on her bluetooth so loud, not even my headphones could drown her out ... and a girl who had so much perfume on I literally couldn't breath.  WTH?  And the gym was packed and there were no open machines to move to.

*ugh*

So, please don't do either of those things.  I only had 15 minutes left of my 60, and that made me end up stopping early to get away from them ... they completely ruined my workout.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards