Getting in Shape
Options

What do you do "in a pinch"?

Someone mentioned on another thread that she keeps a list of fast food items so that she can still go out to eat with friends when in a pinch and not feel like a freak (lol) which I totally understand the "feeling like a freak" thing when you are trying to eat the right things and you "can't" eat at certain places, events etc. 

Sooo I am just wondering what everyone does in your own pinches?  Say you're going to a BBQ where they're grilling burgers, or you're on the road and can only get fast food etc.  Do you keep healthy bars on hand to tide you over or pack your own food always?  Just do your best and choose as wisely from the menu/selection as possible?  Simply not eat?  Allow yourself to eat whatever it is 'just that one time' because you don't have much other choice etc.

Just curious!!   =)

Re: What do you do "in a pinch"?

• Options
    My go-to is usually chicken, whether its grilled, roasted, on a sandwitch, etc.  I try to have that with a veggie or salad side.  At restaurants its really easy to substitute veggies for fries or pasta.   I also generally avoid sauces because most are made with a lot of butter/oil/cream.  Of course the exception would be bruschetta or marinara which is tomato based.
  • Options
    And I never "simply not eat"  :)  I would rather eat something bad than not eat at all.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2010

Your sig = WAY too big. Good lord shrink that first pic down a bit. You do not need to shrink in photobucket, edit your sig code and add width=250 towards the end after the pic address.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pinch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:cf8d6c26-cd9f-4ba7-a45f-573fe1aa067bPost:5c6bd023-8e0e-4657-b05f-bc0200ee2b23">Re: What do you do "in a pinch"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your sig = WAY too big. Good lord shrink that first pic down a bit. You do not need to shrink in photobucket, edit your sig code and add width=250 towards the end after the pic address.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I know and I did.  In Photobucket I resized it <u>before</u> I even put the code in here ... it was still showing up huge so I added the width 250 thing.  1/2 the time it shows up the right size and 1/2 the time it shows up huge. 
  • Options
    I usually eat a smaller portion. So if it's a burger place, I order a salad on the side instead of fries, no cheese and load it with veggies and then only eat half the burger.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pinch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:cf8d6c26-cd9f-4ba7-a45f-573fe1aa067bPost:5c6bd023-8e0e-4657-b05f-bc0200ee2b23">Re: What do you do "in a pinch"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your sig = WAY too big. Good lord shrink that first pic down a bit. You do not need to shrink in photobucket, edit your sig code and add width=250 towards the end after the pic address.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I tried. I gave her the code over on our local board, too.  Even at the 250, it's still huge.  Especially when you combine it with the other sig stuff. 
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pinch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:cf8d6c26-cd9f-4ba7-a45f-573fe1aa067bPost:a29c7760-2c46-488e-96e8-2c167a40f09a">Re: What do you do "in a pinch"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you do "in a pinch"? : I tried. I gave her the code over on our local board, too.  Even at the 250, it's still huge.  Especially when you combine it with the other sig stuff. 
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Wow really??  Inch for inch, it hardly takes up much more space than Nebb's siggy. (when the sizing works, that is - which I just fixed with Photoshop and redid it)  I could take out the 2 tickers and it would be the exact same length as hers, but I want the tickers on there. 
  • Options
    In a pinch, I go with Subway or look up nutritional information for certain places. I never not eat because hunger = bad news (I get bad headaches). I'll also stop at the grocery store and pick up some pre-cut fruit and veggies. I'll sometimes split something with FI or a friend, too.

There are definitely certain places I avoid at all costs, though, like Cheesecake Factory.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    for me, it depends on the situation. 

dinner at a friends house or the in-laws? i do my best to make wise choices and watch portion sizes, but eat enough to feel satisfied and be polite. 
    on the road?  i either stick to subway or get a grilled chicken sandwich at a different fast-food place. 
    going out with friends?  i've looked up nutrition info for a lot of restaurants, so i'll suggest some of my "safe" places and decide what i'll order before we go, so i'm not tempted by the yummy fried foods on the menu.

i also stick to chicken or fish and veggies when eating out, since they're usually much healthier meals.
  • Options
    I usually eat an apple or greek yogurt before I go out to dinner. I typically avoid the bread basket and like pp said, sub steamed veggies or a salad for the side dish.

If we go to a BBQ, I always take something healthy to fill up on, but I'll enjoy some of the other food there. If I get a good workout in that day and eat a light lunch I feel okay about eating a burger or a little queso.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ditto kristi - i'm big on eating before we go somewhere that i know will have very little healthy stuff to pick from. and unfortunately, if we're stuck at a restaurant where i'm struggling to find something decent, i become the world's biggest pain in the ass and switch everything until it's close to resembling healthy. but i'm ok with that! haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, watch portions, choose lean meats-- chicken/turkey, lots of veggies-- and if you think you're still hungery, drink a glass of water before and after-- it will help you feel full. Also, a lot of resteraunts have their nutrition values posted-- in tiny print, somewhere in the restauraunt.
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pinch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:cf8d6c26-cd9f-4ba7-a45f-573fe1aa067bPost:84c9dbda-fe3c-492e-ba6a-a456a39e44c9">Re: What do you do "in a pinch"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you do "in a pinch"? : Wow really??  Inch for inch, it hardly takes up much more space than Nebb's siggy. (when the sizing works, that is - which I just fixed with Photoshop and redid it)  I could take out the 2 tickers and it would be the exact same length as hers, but I want the tickers on there. 
    Posted by kari_lynn222[/QUOTE]
    I think you have vision issues. If you cant see that your sig is double the length of mine, and literally takes up an entire browser window top to bottom, then you need glasses... or something.
  • Options
    Great suggestions all.

Let's say you're at a BBQ and all they have are burgers. Have one - but without the bun and lots of tomato and lettuce. Also, some burgers are HUGE! I was at a girls weekend and OMG... on had a burger the size of a small plate! In that case, eat half or even a quarter!

Honestly, I was taught to eat everthing on my plate when I was growing up. Not a good habit. As much as I hate throwing food out, I'm ok with eating a normal portion. If someone says something, I think it's rude and I don't take it to heart.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pinch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:cf8d6c26-cd9f-4ba7-a45f-573fe1aa067bPost:5d505ac5-1ffe-4e8d-af8f-a75e88c1aa8e">Re: What do you do "in a pinch"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you do "in a pinch"? : I think you have vision issues. If you cant see that your sig is double the length of mine, and literally takes up an entire browser window top to bottom, then you need glasses... or something.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

In my browser window (which I don't have open to maximum size) your siggy takes up the page and mine takes up the page except the tickers are cut off/don't fit.  If my top pic was landscape instad of portrait, it would fit.  I wasn't saying 'knocking' the size of your sig, I was just saying mine didn't take up much more space than yours when someone said it was still way too big.  And maybe you & I have different monitor sizes, Idk?? No reason to try to insult me.  ...I guess I didn't realize it was such a big deal or that there were rules on siggy lengths??  Does it really bother you that much??  If it does you could just block/ignore me so you don't see my posts, problem solved.  It's not like it's got 20 pics.

I know I'm new here and you're a long time regular, but I come here because we all share the same goals and lifestyle and can offer & receive tips, advice, encouragement etc.  I don't know why there's gotta be drama over a siggy. Does it really matter?
  • Options
    hey, kari-lynn, check your private messages, I asked you something about your weight-loss success a few days ago :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Oops sorry about that!  I just responded!  Thanks!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards