Getting in Shape
Options

At a loss

I can not seem to get the scale to budge. I lost a little over 5 pounds and now I seem like I am stuck on a plateau. I need to lose about 5-10 lbs before April 24th. Should I maybe eat more veggies? Work out more? Here is what I have been doing so far:
Gym 5 - 6 days a week for about an hour and I eat around 1500 cals a day. I try to stay at 1100 depending on what I burn at the gym. I feel like I am doing something wrong, any suggestions? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: At a loss

• Options
    I think you should decrease your exercise for a week and see if that will help kick you out of the plateau. Maybe to only 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes disrupting your routine can be very helpful. Or, try something wildly different then you are used to at the gym.
    TEST
  • Options
    Up your net calories, for sure.  1100 is too low, and your body is probably trying to hold on to the weight.  Aim for at least 1300 (net) if not more.  Also, I agree with lmark, decrease your workouts a bit to give your body a rest.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Last week was actually the first week I did 5 days. I usually do 3... guess I should have included it in my OP. I get so confused with what to eat as well because thedaily plate calculated 1100 in order for me to lose what I want to lose and then people tell me I should eat more so I have no idea.. guess I will try eating more and see if that helps. It makes no sense though because isnt eating more what makes you gain weight? Shouldnt you eat less and burn more to lose?
  • Options
    Not necessarily, if you are doing some hard core workouts and you aren't eating enough calories your body goes into a starvation kind of mode and begins to store fat calories rather then burn them.
    TEST
  • Options
    Okay, thats what I keep hearing. I have a friend that is majoring and nutrition and she told me that if I burn 500 cals I should eat 1700 that day in order to be at 1200 cals for the day. Does that sound right?
  • Options
    That definitely makes sense.  The minimum you should be eating though is 1200. (Net, so after you take out your workout calories).

You might also be burning more than you think (I was) so that would put you even lower.

I know that Nebb had success breaking through her plateau by eating more.
  • Options
    Okay I will try 1200 and just ignore thedailyplate telling me Im almost 200 over. I do like using them because they break down the nutrient info that I have eaten for the day plus they have all the cal info for almost everything I eat.
  • Options
    That's weird that the daily plate calculated that...I'm on the lose 2 lbs a week "plan" and they have me eating 1550 calories a day...but I would definitely take the advice of PP...they know what they're talking about!
  • Options
    You can manually enter your calorie goals. 

Or just increase your daily activity level so that it gives you a higher number.  What activity level are you using right now?
  • Options
    I think I am using low to moderate - Sitting at a desk, occasional walking. I will have to go and check, I might have it set higher.
  • Options
    If it's telling you to only have 1100 calories (and unless you're already quite small) then you're probably on Lightly Active or lower.

Try upping that level for a week or two.  Just make sure your net calories are above 1200! (or even 1300).
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    You definitely need to switch up your routine. Take a break (a week, atleast), and eat more food during it (dont binge, but eat more calories). Stay hydrated and see what happens. If that doesnt work, do heavier weights. If that doesnt work, do intervals on cardio machines you arent used to. If that doesnt work change your diet up again and incorporate more protein/less carb/more or less fat, whatever. You just need to play with the equation to see what works.
  • Options
    also try various workouts.  IF you are doing the same equiptment and same routines you could get stuck.  Try switching it up some :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards