Getting in Shape

Spinning Class?

I am debating trying out a spinning class. I've lost about 35 lbs but still am pretty heavy and not as active as I would like. For those who have taken this class, is this really something that I can do? Or am I going to kill myself and not want to go back ever? Anything you recommend I do or take?

Re: Spinning Class?

• Yes, I think anyone can do spin.  You can always lower the resistance, sit, or pedal slower.  I'd say give it a try and go at your own pace. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • wow!!spinning class,you're great! I'm not familiar with it, but my sister also making dress just like you,the begining is hard for everybody,So suggest you more practice!
  • What exactly is spinning class?  I think it's you spinning in a circle at different speeds when I read it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Spin is awesome!  Such a great work out, and it's pretty easy on your body compared to running or step aerobics.

You can make it as easy or as hard as you like, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to handle it.

I do recommend that, for your first class, go to a 30 or 45- minute session if you can find one.  My gym only offers hour-long classes, and it was pretty intense the first time.

And, if you try it and like it enough that you plan to keep going, invest in a heart rate monitor.  It will make a big difference in the quality of your work out.
  • Anyone can do spin! A good instructor will know that you're new and push you, but not too hard. It's a lot of fun once you get used to it a bit. One of the girls I work with teaches spin classes every morning before work, so I started going. It's definitely instense, but totally customizable. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just recently began attending a spin class (twice a week) and I am hooked on it!  I am going tonight and this will be my 4th class since I have started spinning.

My instructor, she said give it 5 classes, to really get used to the gears and speeds.  I love the music and you can burn around 400-500 calories in the first couple of classes. With any classes, you will learn as you go and you will get better and better after each class.

As some have already said, the class really depends on your instructor. For first couple of classes, I would arrive few minutes early, to ensure I had the correct settings on for my bike.  Also, you really need to know your own body in this class and not compare to anyone else. Everyone has their own pace, speed, gears, and levels, know your own body.
  • Love spin! Definately go early, and let the instructor know you are new and have never done it. They can help set up your bike. It is a great workout that I wish I could do more, my gym fills up so early. You can go at your own pace, it is tuff the first time. Like PP if you can find a 30-45 min class do that one for a while
    Good luck
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_spinning-class?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:e1e32e7b-9608-4c9d-9cb8-10cc0803b757Post:2c8f4705-2938-4c77-bee4-2e256b8f6209">Re: Spinning Class?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What exactly is spinning class?  I think it's you spinning in a circle at different speeds when I read it.
    Posted by SeptemberFall2011[/QUOTE]

Spin is a class on a stationary bicycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards