Getting in Shape

Need Some Support!

I have been trying to lose weight since I was about ten (thanks to my mother!).  I weighed the same, 150-155, from the age of 10 until I was a sophomore in college.  But I grew from 5'2" to 5"8" so I guess I was gradually losing weight just not on the scale.  Anyway, since then I have gained about 25 lbs and am just not happy with the way I look.  I will be getting my wedding dress soon and am dreading even trying them on.  It's not fun for me.  Sample sizes are way too small and my mother keeps giving me those looks.... I am starting a running program and I do weights but it's eating that's my problem!  By the end of the day, I am so drained that I just want to pick something up rather than cook.  I also have no will power against sweets!  Any advice or cooking ideas that aren't too time consuming.... Thanks!

Sorry if I sound like a whiner!!  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need Some Support!

• Personally, I needed to take the time to focus on myself. I have a very busy job and being done with work at 7:00 then going to the gym for an hour then eating dinner getting ready for bed, etc, didn't sound fun to me, nor did I have the energy!! Yes, this is time consuming, but again, my opinion, to really focus on yourself and lose the weight, it will be time consuming; I started tracking my calories online with SparkPeople.com. The program sets you up very well with how many calories you should be eating a day - and much more!! Yes, at first, it was annoying tracking everything I ate, but man, after a few weeks, my energy level was WAY up from sticking to my calories and eating the right things - that now I do have time to go to the gym after work!! I find that helped me a TON, but I'm sure other knotties will share their great advice as well!

Good luck!!

204 image Ready to party with us!
    84 image Will be Dancing the night away!
    20 image Won't be having any fun
    100 image Got Lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I track my calories on mydailyplate which is on livestrong.com

It says I need 1,700 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week with a moderate activity level.

Anyway you need to go cold turkey and just do something.

There are lots of easy ideas out there for quick meals, but to be absolutly honest you will be limited with options unless you do a little work in the kitchen. (Unless you eat tuna sandwich or an egg, or something like that which is better than going out or picking up something)

The easiest thing I can think of is frozen veggies that you can just microwave and get all shop rite brand or brands that do not have any additional butter or sauce or seaoning in there. 

As for protein the easiest thing is ground turkey.  You can brown it in a pan with some onion for flavor, drain it, add your own seasonings like chili powder, oregano, etc.  and drain it and serve.. add a can of diced tomatos if you want a taco meal.  Without the shell.  Or eat the shell but just not all the time.  Do something different with the ground meat.  Add it to some whole wheat angel hair, or make stuffed peppers with it, or anything.  Just search for healthy ground beef recipes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-support?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:e3d9de7d-de0e-425b-87a3-1d5bc0bee4f2Post:205db872-0be5-45a2-8150-04c93d44b833">Re: Need Some Support!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I track my calories on mydailyplate which is on livestrong.com It says I need 1,700 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week with a moderate activity level. Anyway you need to go cold turkey and just do something. There are lots of easy ideas out there for quick meals, but to be absolutly honest you will be limited with options unless you do a little work in the kitchen. (Unless you eat tuna sandwich or an egg, or something like that which is better than going out or picking up something) The easiest thing I can think of is frozen veggies that you can just microwave and get all shop rite brand or brands that do not have any additional butter or sauce or seaoning in there.  As for protein the easiest thing is ground turkey.  You can brown it in a pan with some onion for flavor, drain it, add your own seasonings like chili powder, oregano, etc.  and drain it and serve.. add a can of diced tomatos if you want a taco meal.  Without the shell.  Or eat the shell but just not all the time.  Do something different with the ground meat.  Add it to some whole wheat angel hair, or make stuffed peppers with it, or anything.  Just search for healthy ground beef recipes. 

Also, do not carry anyjunk in your house and just don't buy sweets.

I get klondike bars no sugar added, but a box of 6 will last me more than 2 weeks because I do not eat them everyday.  I will have one or 2 a week maybe.  Not even!  I snack on popcorn most of the time.

Posted by PeonyPrincesskdd[/QUOTE]
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the advice!  I will definetly look into those sites.
    The trouble with not keeping sweets in the house, however, is that I have a small baking business on the side and am surrounded by temptations!  Maybe I'll just keep a big jug of water nearby or chew gum! 

Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Keep almonds and at your desk and eat a bit before you get hungry.  This has helped me a lot.

Also, I've been cooking chickpea and lentil veggie soups on the weekends, with lots of nice spices, sometimes a bit of coconut milk, etc.  Then, I freeze them.  Come home from work, you can avoid mcdonalds and have some really healthy nutritious soup and not have to cook.  I've also been boiling eggs and keeping a half dozen or so in my fridge.  I have one once a day when I want a snack that'll fill me up.  

Eating healthy is all about habit.  I never thought I could eat the way I do today, it seemed like too much work.  But, once you get going, it's hard to go back to unhealthy eating habits.  I currently have yogurt with berries and walnuts for breakfast... craisins/almonds/fruit whenever I want a snack. A healthy soup for lunch, salad and lean meat when I get home.  There are so many yummy salads out there too.  

I made one last night with a bit of steak, lots of spinach and rocket, craisins (I love them), crumbled blue cheese, sliced granny smith apple, and walnuts.  Then I just sprayed it with a bit of balsamic vinegar (sprays are great rather than dumping salad dressing on it and undoing all your good work!).  So yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards