Getting in Shape
Options

Question about Livestrong.com

Hi Guys,

I just recently started reading the Get in Shape Board, havent really posted a lot, but there are a lot of great tips and advice!

I joined Livestrong.com and love the website so far.  Aparently I am supposed to eat around 1200 calories a day if I want to lose 2 lbs a week, 1700 if I want to lose 1 lb a week. When I track my calories and workouts, the work out calories are subtracted from my calorie limit. Does this mean I can eat more than 1200/1700 if I work out? I'm thinking not, but the website is set up to have me question otherwise.

Thanks!

Re: Question about Livestrong.com

• Options
    it depends.  which activity level did you select when you calculated your intake goal?  if you selected lightly active, then yes, you are supposed to eat back your calories.  if you selected moderately active, you shouldn't be tracking exercise separately.

when it calculated your intake goal, it gave you a net calorie goal.  you would need to eat 1200 calories to lose 2 lbs. a week without any exercise at all.  if you burn calories, you can (and should!) eat more.  otherwise, you'll end up eating too little and you could end up sending your body into starvation mode.  as long as you net at 1200 calories each day, you should lose at a steady rate.

sorry if this was confusing!  i've been using MDP for well over a year and love it.

• Options
    I checked the moderate level of working out. I started going to the gym recently, and I go about 4x a week, doing both light weights for about 20 min and cardio for about an hour. 1200 calories a day has been nearly impossible for me to do, so I decided to start at 1700 and work my way down. Like I said though, when I enter in my workouts, say I burn 500 calories, does that mean I can eat 2100 calories a day and still lose 1 lb a week? Its been a month, so far I havent lost any weight, but I noticed I have been toning up and thats encouraging!
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    If you want to enter in your workouts (which I like to do) set your activity level to "lightly active". 

If it's telling with an activity level of "moderately active" to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 2 lbs, I'm going to guess that that you really don't have much weight to lose.  For me (who's still got 20 lbs to get into the "normal" range of BMI) if I put in moderately active and losing 2 lbs a week, I get over 1700 calories.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ditto raynes.  if you're going to track workouts, pick lightly active.

i only have a few lbs. left to lose, and i have MDP set to lightly active and to lose 1.5 lbs. a week.  my net calorie goal is 1085.  when i work out, i can usually eat between 1300-1500 calories, depending on what my workout was.  trying to set it to lose 2 lbs. a week is downright impossible for me.  even 1.5 is pushing it most weeks.

so first i would suggest setting yours to lightly active and see what it says.  then, maybe you need to reconsider the "2 lbs. per week" goal - if you don't have much to lose, 1 lb. per week might be more reasonable.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think that 2 lbs a week is a little much. Im trying to lose between 15-20 lbs, and I dont want to overdo it, and regain the weight later. Is 1700 calories a day enough to lose a pound a week or should I lower my calorie intake? I go to the gym 4x a week, do weights for 20 min and cardio for about an hour.
  • Options

I guess I am confused too.  When I read the difference about the activity levels, the two that where suggested to use were light and moderatley.  I took light to be just sitting on front of the computer, walking to the mailbox etc.  Moderately, I took as if you have a more active job, you are a stay at home mom running after the kiddos all day, that type of thing.  So for me, I put in moderately because I have a job where I am mobile, some sitting in the car, but a fair amount of walking too.  Would I fall into the "light" catergory, still?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ok I figured it out :) If you intend on using the fitness tracker, you have to put what kind of activity you do OUTSIDE of working out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards