Getting in Shape
Options

Eating veggies with ____???

First, Hi! Kinda a newbie to this board.  Really trying to get back on the healthy eating and exercising again for summer! So...

What do you like to eat veggies with?  As in with raw veggies and ____?? 
Trying to find different ways to incorporate veggies into my diet.  

Also for dinner how do you prepare veggies and what else do eat with them? 

Looking for some veggie inspiration!  Thanks!
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eating veggies with ____???

• Options
    edited May 2010
    I aim to eat a salad for at least one meal a day, but it’s not rare for me to have salad for both lunch and for dinner.  The key to not getting bored with salad is to change it up.  Ie – different bases (romaine, or spinach, arugula, butter lettuce, kale etc) then of course the toppings could be say, greek with reduced fat feta, lots of cucumber and tomato, some red onion, black olives and homemade italian dressing… OR you could do a mexican salad with romaine, corn, black beans, tomatoes, green onions & salsa, or even add some Morningstar or Boca meatless crumbles too.  Or you could make a Kale salad with sweet potato, avocado, carrots and whatever else and use some walnut oil or toasted sesame oil.  Yum!

Otherwise you could make veggie sandwiches on Ezekiel sprouted bread with say baby spinach, cucumber, tomato, sprouts, avocado and some hummus, or nix the bread all together and use Napa Cabbage leaves as your “bread”.  They work great because they are flat enough and sturdy enough.   

But if I am just having veggies as a side and raw, I eat them plain but this was a long transition.  I use to eat them with light sour cream (or Fage 0%!) mixed with some dry ranch dressing mix, or you could dip them in salsa or hummus or homemade guac!   

For dinner I often make chicken or fish and serve it with steamed veggies but one of my new favorite ways to serve cooked veggies is use say, sweet potatoes (cut up in to 4-6 pieces each), brussel sprouts, asparagus, carrots etc, toss with a little EVOO, fresh ROSEMARY (this is the key) and garlic.  Cover with foil and roast at 375 for about 30-45 mins, then remove foil and increase the temp to 400 for 15 mins until the edges start to turn a little brown.  Yum!
  • Options
    kari....everything looks YUMMY! Thanks so much! I copied and pasted your responce and printed it out! 

Thanks! :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I eat raw veggies dipped in Hummus....and some veggies (i.e. green beans) i will boil in chickbroth...delish!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If I'm just snacking on veggies at work, I like to spread/dip them in the little Laughing Cow wedges.  They're easier to transport than, say, ranch or some other kind of dip.  Yum.  Works really well with celery and carrots.

I usually just snack on pepper slices (red, green, yellow) plain.

At home for dinner, FI and I make a lot of stir fry dishes.  We can really just throw in any veggies, fresh or frozen, that we have on hand. I just throw in some chicken breasts (or tofu if you like it!)
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment

I eat veggies every day for an afternoon snack -- a mix of carrots, cucumber, and celery.  Typically, I eat them plain.  Every once and a while, I need something to go with them.  I will usually use a Laughing Cow cheese wedge, light sour cream (with some ranch powder), or greek yogurt (again with ranch powder).  If I can fit it in for the day, I will splurge on real ranch dressing...my FAV.  However, I am careful to measure it out beforehand so I don't eat too much.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with all of the above.  I'm going to try the ranch powder mix with sour cream, that's a great idea!  I love ranch as well, but it's too many WW points AND fat free ranch is nasty.  That sounds like a good thing to try.

I was never a big fan of steamed veggies, I need more flavor.  Here are two things I like to do now.
    -Pour some marnade over the veggies (like the lawry's bottles) and then sautee the veggies in a pan. 
    -pour a little bit of EVOO, salt, and pepper and roast in the overn on low heat for about 45 minutes.  The roasting makes them SO flavorful!
  • Options
    Like PPs, I love roasted veggies. This week I cut up red bell pepper, japanese eggplant, and zuchinni, tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper, and roasted. We ate that as a side with fish the first night, and then for lunch the next day I put the leftover veggies in a pita with some fat free feta cheese, and it was a delicious lunch!

I also love grilled asparagus. We live in an apartment and can't actially grill, but I do it on a grill pan with some olive oil. They get so tender and delicious that way. I used to hate asparagus when my mom cooked it (she would boil it). But grilled or roasted, it tastes totally different and not slimy and gross.

We do a lot of stir fry (tofu or chicken with some combo of mushrooms, broccoli, snow peas, green beans, bell peppers, onions, water chestnuts, etc...whatever looked good that week). We use a bottled soy ginger sauce from whole foods, usually, or a bottled curry sauce from trader joe's.

We also do whole wheat pasta with any combo of veggies sauteed in olive oil and then put on top of the pasta and topped with a little parmesan cheese. This could also be whatever looks good, in whatever combo you like. I do some combo of zuchinni, mushrooms, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, artichoke hearts, black olives, etc.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Great I'm glad I could help.  :) 

Ooh also sometimes I marinate raw veggies in mushroom shiiritake dressing overnight and they are soooo yummy!   Any dressing would do though.  Broccoli is especially yummy when marinated, but you could also add cucumbers, zucchini, tomato, mushrooms etc.  Just put 'em in a ziplock in the fridge w/ dressing of choice and that's it.  Tasty, healthy side to go with your lunch! 
  • Options
    I LOVE salads. I love raw veggies. For raw veggies, like carrots, I like hummus or light dressing as a dip. I could eat salad with anything, though! I had broccoli with light cheese sauce the other night, and lightly glazed carrots (like an asian glaze) are pretty good, for cooked veggies.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your responce!!! everything sounds yummy!  Can't wait to try some new things!  :) Thank you
    imageimage
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'll tritto (or quattro?) grilled asparagus.  I make mine into "rafts" with tooth picks so they don't fall through the grill.  Brushed with a bit of EVOO and grilled until just tender.  Major yumms.

For salads, well, I'm boring.  I either have baby spinach or spring mix with grilled chicken or tuna on top.  Sometimes I'll throw in half an avocado. 

I'm another vote for bell pepper with hummus too.

I like steamed veggies for dinner.  Green Giants Caifornia mix is so freaking good.  It's just broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, but it comes out so sweet.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_eatting-veggies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:fbafb9c5-a7ae-4f31-a24f-c0c6c1e2f0b0Post:ac848d3b-55cb-4297-8032-36db9af44135">Re: Eating veggies with ____???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll tritto (or quattro?) grilled asparagus.  I make mine into "rafts" with tooth picks so they don't fall through the grill.  Brushed with a bit of EVOO and grilled until just tender.  Major yumms. For salads, well, I'm boring.  I either have baby spinach or spring mix with grilled chicken or tuna on top.  Sometimes I'll throw in half an avocado.  I'm another vote for bell pepper with hummus too. I like steamed veggies for dinner.  Green Giants Caifornia mix is so freaking good.  It's just broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, but it comes out so sweet.
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

Oh what a cool idea about the asparagus "rafts"!  I love it and am totally going to use your idea next time  :)
  • Options
    Hummus is always my first option.  Perhaps making your own if you have a food processor.  Sometimes I switch it up and use black beans instead of garbonzo beans.  I find that if you have time to steam the veggies, they are much more yummy...raw veggies not my fav, but steamed with hummus dip, more doable or me.  There are many vegetarian websites out there just like someone else pointed out.  Maybe even look at dairy if you're open to Tofu.  For a ranch dip you can add tofu instead and that helps with having more protein. 
    Have fun with it!
  • Options
    Tzatziki:
    Fat free yoghurt (strained overnight in a coffee filter)
    Shredded cucumber
    little garlic

or

Hummus:
    Garbonzo beans
    tablespoon peanut butter
    salt
    lemon juice
    olive oil

Optional flavors
    - roasted garlic
    - crushed red pepper
    - roasted red pepper
    - wasabi/soy sauce
    - kalamata olives
  • Options
    I agree with everyone above about roasted vegetables--they are so easy and delicious. It was a revelation for me when I realized that you could toss practically any vegetable--asparagus, sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli--in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, put them in the oven on a pan at 375-400 degrees and have a delicious side after 20 or so minutes. You can also of course add lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese, etc to make them even better.

One thing that has helped me with liking salads more is making my own dressings. I never realized how easy it is. The basic vinaigrette dressing is one part vinegar to three parts oil, plus dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic. Shake that up in a jam jar and you have a delicious dressing. I also like to make asian-style dressings, with soy sauce, rice vinegar, oil, sesame oil, etc. Good luck. I enjoyed reading everyone's answers, since I really need to eat more vegetables myself and it's so easy to get bored of the same old, same old!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards