Getting in Shape
Options

Alton Brown's "Diet" plan

Has anybody started following Alton Brown's food plan?  
http://weightmaven.org/2010/01/05/alton-browns-live-and-let-diet/ (This has the plan laid out all nice and neat)
I like how he has his lists, it seems to make the whole thing much easier to follow.  I'm trying to formulate something similar, although I'd want to move broccoli to every day (I love broccoli!) and move the nuts to 3 times a week or something.  I'm trying to organize it all into an easy, comprehensive excel sheet that I can look at and check off daily.

Does anyone have experience with this plan, or something similar to it?  Tips, advice, stories?

Re: Alton Brown's "Diet" plan

• Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Did I miss the lean protein somewhere?  Red meat once a week, but no chicken or turkey?  I think I'm confused. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I guess I'm not really understanding the plan correctly, maybe.  So on the days you're not eating fish or red meat, you're going to get the vast majority of your protein from nuts?  That sounds like a horrible idea to me.  I'd go absolutely insane if on 3 days a week, the only things I could eat were nuts, fruit, leafy greens, carrots, and whole grains.  That sounds stupid to me. 

Or, I guess on the 3 days you're not eating fish or red meat, you could eat the yogurt, which would help.  And the avocado.  That makes more sense.  But.... Yeah, I don't see this being very long term sustainable.  There aren't enough protein options, IMO.

• Options
    I agree with that.  I think that I find this plan to be a little unnecessarily restrictive, but the basic principles of clean eating and limiting but not restricting some of the not-so-awesome for you but delicious things are good.  It might be a good starting point for someone that needs a serious diet overhaul.

• Options
    You guys make really good points.  I guess I assumed that he secretly meant also eat chicken every day, although I have no idea why except that I eat chicken almost every day.

I started following the plan (and got on mfp) yesterday, and for the 36 hours I've been doing it, I've been doing great!  Wink

I think I'll be changing up some of the stuff, I need my yogurt every day, but I'll try to be mindful of his plan and keep track of everything on my fitness pal.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards